Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Interesting laser speed guns read..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Interesting laser speed guns read.. Reply with quote

https://www.pepipoo.com/NewForums2/viewtopic.php?t=419

Interesting read. Smile

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 15:26 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Smile

Just need someone to stand their ground, fight them and hopefully set a legal precedent. They did seem reluctant to reply which suggests there may be some truth to the inaccuracy.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic read. Anyone know what type of laser the Talivans use out of interest, maybe T.C. would know? Question

Surely the same argument applies, especially if they get you effectively from an angle (in a layby for example).

Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:56 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read the bit about the headlight? I'd be interested to know how they can prove that it hit a flat surface, not the rider, not the headlight and that it even actually hit you!

Maybe we need to make a set of glass fairings Laughing

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:23 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about that, cos i like the fairings to hide all the squiggley bits underneath Razz.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called the engine Rolling Eyes

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 18:26 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the copper who got me showed me his gun, with the speed reading 68mph and the range showing 1350 yards. He said he measured my speed by "aiming the crosshair at the headlight of your vehicle as you approached".

I just accepted this to be my speed as I wasn't making any particular effort to stick to the limit seeing as how I had the whole three lanes to myself, and hadn't bothered to look at the speedo.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 18:27 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said later in the thread that the rule does not apply to glass on the bike and that the headlight is actually a good target because of the reflective properties of the back of it.

The rule is aimed at glass near the gun, for example if the cop decides to sit in his car and use it, which is against the rules for several other reasons anyway.

I think you should get some glass fairings though Ste, we could all take bets on how many minutes/hours they would last. Razz Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:30 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd be ok with me. Look at my fairings... in one piece and shiney. Now go look a the R6 ones Razz Razz

And it says something on there about cops getting headaches if it's used in a car Laughing Laughing

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 18:35 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
They'd be ok with me. Look at my fairings... in one piece and shiney.

Uh, think you should maybe go look at your bike Ste. Confused

My fairings have some light scratches, but I've got a full set of spares with the exception of the nose cone. Razz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:37 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it needs cleaning but I'm commuting every day on it so there seems to be little point (I've been saying that since BDB Rolling Eyes ) However they are complete and have no scratches Razz

Back on topic... surely the headlight will reflact different beams back as it isnt at all flat so will give different speed readings if it hits it?

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:44 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ok, so it needs cleaning but I'm commuting every day on it so there seems to be little point (I've been saying that since BDB Rolling Eyes ) However they are complete and have no scratches Razz

Back on topic... surely the headlight will reflact different beams back as it isnt at all flat so will give different speed readings if it hits it?

The speed reading won't display different speeds for different parts of the headlight, because if it does then your bike is probably falling to pieces. All the light mirror surroundy bit (technical term please) will do is refract the beam and reflect it in different directions. He probably wouldn't even get an accurate or trustworthy speed reading from the light bowl.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:45 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
He probably wouldn't even get an accurate or trustworthy speed reading from the light bowl.

That's my point Rolling Eyes

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:47 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
He probably wouldn't even get an accurate or trustworthy speed reading from the light bowl.

That's my point Rolling Eyes

You meant that the readings will be untrustworthy.
You *said* that he will get *different* speed readings Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:56 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
In my case the copper who got me showed me his gun, with the speed reading 68mph and the range showing 1350 yards. He said he measured my speed by "aiming the crosshair at the headlight of your vehicle as you approached".

From that link at 1350 yards (1234m) then the beam would be 432cm wide, so it is pretty irrelevant what he aimed at. That is probably well over half the width of the road.

All the best

Keith

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:59 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a characteristic of lasers was that a single beam does not spread out over distance. Does this thingie use more than one mto get a better chance of scoring a kill against a target?

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 19:26 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understood of the thread, the argument that the beam may hit moving objects is more likely to be a realistic argument against their use, but has been tried before without success Neutral . For example if it hits a number plate that is vibrating, depending which way the plate is moving when the beam hits it, it may give a reading over or under the speed of the bike. Or if it hit a spoke on the top half of the wheel as the bike if moving away from the gun, the spoke will be moving away from the gun at a higher speed than the bike. But as I said someone tried this argument and lost. Confused The guns fire 3 beams in a second so the vibrations would have to be quite severe to cause a misread.

As far as hitting an angled surface goes, the light will be reflected at an equal but opposite angle to which it hit the surface, so will be reflected away from the gun, hence it will not register unless it reflects off something else and goes back to the gun. But the chances are that due to the amount the light diverges on route to the bike that some of it will hit a surface that is nearly at right angles to the beam, so some is likely to be reflected back and registered on the gun.

Isreali guy wrote:
I live in Israel. Here most of the traffic courts
would not accept a police allegation about a
motorcycle speeding, because an Israeli trooper must
aim the laser gun at the licesnse plate, while such a
plate is not perpendicular to the line of sight
with motocycles and can hardly be seen if at all
by the laser operator.

In a way this gives me the impression that the beam is more likely to give an accurate reading from a curved surface because part of that surface will be perpendicular to the gun. What he appears to be saying is that the gun may misread if it hits a plate which is angled away from the gun, hence having no surface aligned correctly to reflect the light back to the gun.

The best course of action seems to be getting your bike sprayed matt black, buying a matt black lid and getting a ridiculously small number plate with italic digits on it.

I may be wrong, but that is how I understood what they were saying.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 06:43 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate's got a matt black (stipple effect!!) RS250.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1