Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does size matter?......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:39 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Does size matter?...... Reply with quote

If I were to put some 17" alloys on my car would I need to buy a spare 17" in wheel? Halfords (Monkeys) say that I would need to buy a new wheel. Kwik Fit tell me that it is not required as the other three wheels would simply push up so that all four wheels were on the ground. Who is correct here?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:45 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You would probably need a new spare wheel, or not carry a spare wheel. The handling with 3 low profile tyres on 17" wheels and one normal tyre would likely be very dodgy (and if you had a visous coupling in the diff then it would probably be trashed).

You must legally have 2 of the same type of tyre on an axle, so you cannot have a cross ply on one side and a radial on the other. I would presume that it would be illegal to mix wheel sizes although there may be some exemption for space savers (in which case get one of those as a spare).

From memory if you have a spare then it must be legal, but I don't think you are actually required to have a spare (and quite a few cars do not have spare wheels).

All the best

Keith
Jay This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:04 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the replies. As Craaaaaig David says it would only to a temp. measure to get home if I ever did get a puncture.

Can I get a reeewiiiind! Mr. Green

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively,
You could spend the ridiculous amounts of money that alloys cost, on your bike!

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:57 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeyboy1101 wrote:
Thanks to you both for the replies. As Craaaaaig David says it would only to a temp. measure to get home if I ever did get a puncture.

I would be inclined to just buy a space saver spare tyre.

All the best

Keith

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:09 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car actually is it your trying to put wheels on?

If its a nova you do realise we are all going to line up and kick you.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rs125
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:20 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craaaaaig David wrote:
Doesn't really make any odds. Your'e not going to drive round permanently on it, its only a temp to get you home if you get a puncture. So don't worry too much. Its VERY rare you see someone with a spare alloy that matches the rest. Just keep the normal wheel, save yourself a bit of cash at the same time.

What if home is 400 miles away, wouldn't want to drive 400 miles with a 17 inch wheel on one side and a 14 on the other.

I just bought a cheap 17inch wheel from the paper as a spare only paid about £40.
Jay This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craaaaaig David wrote:
doesn't make a difference. The outer edge of the tyres are still the same size. They just make the tyres inside edge smaller to take in the bigger wheel. So it doesn't matter if you know what i mean.

It does matter as you will only get close. Eg a 185/60 14 tyre (fairly common size) has an outside diameter of 577.6mm . If you went for a 17 inch wheel running, say, a 225 tyre then you would need a 30 section tyre to have a close match on the diameter (570.2mm diameter), while a 35 section tyre would give you 589mm and a 40 section tyre would give you 611.8mm which is a substantial difference (and enough to make you speedo read out by another 5%).

That may not sound much but it would certainly be enough to start to confuse ABS brakes and traction control systems. Furthermore the handling would be fairly horrendous with an odd size / profile tyre on one corner as it will compress dramatically differently as loads are applied to it.

With viscous couplings you need the tyre sizes close. Think Vauxhall told you to swap the tyres front to back every 1000~2000 miles on the 4x4 turbo Calibra as the central diff could not cope with more than a couple of mm difference between the front and the rear tyres without sustaining damage (and abotu a £6000 bill).

What car is it for, what is the standard tyre / wheel size and what size tyres / wheels do you want?

All the best

Keith

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:52 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is 406 Coupe, currently on crappy 15 inch wheels with a tyre proflile of about 65. Looks like a tractor at the minute. Just bought some five spokes and put them on. This tit head who was smacked up on some sort of drug said that he hadn't seem alot of Ferrari's around so at least it impressed him even if no one else likes them!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:03 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, they were both styled by Pininfarina, and that is who builds the 406 Coupe.

Does it actually have a proper spare tyre anyway?

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1