is 1300 a good price for a 2001 nsr

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I suspect the split exhaust port makes the NSR a tad less prone to cold seizures and gives the rings an easier life. However the first of those is fixed by not thrashing it from cold and the second by changing the rings when required.

The Mito engine is basically quite tough if correctly assembled. The only real problem is getting the sare parts through.

The other problem is that the RS and Mito are more adjustable as standard (ie, ignition timing on the Mito and older RS, power valve on the Mito, compression ratio on both of them) which makes it far easier for someone to cock up an engine rebuild.

I really don't think that a properly maintained and looked after RS is any worse than an NSR that is properly maintained and looked after. However it may well cost more to maintain the RS, but then it does produce around 15% more power as standard.

All the best

Keith

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:19 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm after is a nice easy going 125 that looks good and has NSR written on it Smile. I suspect it being a two stroke will complicate things (more maintenance - i need to look at the mechanical pages on nsr125.com), so i could do without the extra hassle Smile.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flicking through a bike magazine and notice that the BHP on the RS50 and the NSR125R are the same.

Quote:
Aprilia RS50
Type: Sports
Price: £2599
Max Power: 12bhp
Top Speed: 65mph
Engine: 49cc LC 1cyl 2S
Weight: 89kgs
Seat Height: 810mm

Quote:
Honda NSR125R
Type: Sports
Price: £3249
Max Power: 12bhp
Top Speed: 73mph
Engine: 124cc LC 1cyl 2S
Weight: 132kgs
Seat Height: 800mm

I know we were on about 125's in the first place but this just caught my eye.

The Mito is running at 31bhp with 125cc and 129kgs in weight.
The RS125 is running at 33bhp with 124cc and 142kgs in weight.

I suppose its about the weight in some ways and the reliabilty factor is that its Italian Confused I hear people say that Ducati's aren't the most reliable bike around so it must say something.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:27 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't reading Two Wheels Only were you?

I'm not sure about the manufacturing, because NSR's are made in Italy as well. Probably just the design philosophy i.e. more power at the expense of reliability.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 17:34 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

An RS50 makes 12bhp.
Well thats news to me. The NSR in its full power state creates about 23-25bhp at the real wheel.
Where as the Mito , RS probably make 28-32bhp at the rear wheel.

None of them standard make over 33bhp.
Or so i think...

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:34 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...Yeah it was Two Wheels Only.

I haven't got a clue where the NSR was built. If it was in Italy then it can't be that. Confused It's probably like you lot say the build quality.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:36 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raced an RS50 and lost Confused
I was on a crappy restricted scoot at the time though lol.
He can wait till i get my NSR and i'll beast him Very Happy Cool .

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 17:38 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR's are built in Italy, mine even has the little sticker to prove it don't you know.
And orginally on the tank was loads of warnings in italian.

Till it flew off some where. Dont as how, why i could miss a piece of fairing flying off infront of me, because i don't know.

I imagine the parts are shipped from japan though? maybe...

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:43 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS50 stated must be derestriced if its at 12bhp. Hard to believe but standard it wouldnt be doing 65mph.

When I bought mine it was already derestriced and did 65mph and thought it was putting out about 9bhp. Most standard peds put out something like 3-5bhp. Laughing Might not sound a lot but a lot of 50's can shift!

That was 2003 model that was listed with all the stats. Mine is a 2000 model.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:

I wouldn't imagine they changed anything, apart from give it another red strip Wink

I can understand it making about 9. Do the 50cc even have exhaust valves?

I know a derbi Senda makes about 8 ish @ full power.
I reckon thats an achievable realistic figure.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:49 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The NSR was designed and originall built in Italy (although they moved production to Spain). On the early bikes the lights (CEV), carb (Dellorto), suspension (Marzocchi) and brakes (Grimeca) at least are Italian. Suspect most of the rest of the bike was made in Italy anyway (frame, wiring, switchgead, seat, etc). Think the ignition system is Japanese, but then so is the oned used on the Mito and the RS (or at least those fitted with the Rotax 122 engine).

From memory with the old NS125 the only bits that were not built in Italy were the engine and the wiring loom.

I suspect someone is being a bit hopeful claiming 12hp for the RS50. Maybe it is at the crank, but then the NSR is probably rather more at the crank. The RS makes around 28.5hp at the rear wheel on a dyno (original RS125 road test in PB), although the newer ones are probably slower as the exhausts now have more restrictions (eg, catalytic converter) and the carbs are smaller.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:52 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
The BeefMeister wrote:

I wouldn't imagine they changed anything, apart from give it another red strip Wink

Well, they had to do something to the paintwork to go with the different frame, suspension and bodywork between 2000 and 2003 Wink .

All the best

Keith

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:56 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mates Senda R was running very fast (for a 50!) and beating my RS. He always used to thrash it though and it soon got slower and I was able to beat him.

There was only one ped that was able to keep up/sometimes beat me was the Piaggio NRG. Very nippy off the line.

Anyway just derestricted my RS as I said was roughly putting out about 9bhp, it might have been less. It now has a sports exhaust on it but I don't know wether that would make a whole lot of difference on the bhp.

Race cans on 400cc +, 4 strokes usually add about 4bhp+ I think so on a 50cc 2 stroke I don't think it would add much at all.
Most probably 0. figure.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:57 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to the tried + trusted 2001's Smile. Less money isn't it Smile.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:57 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
Might not sound a lot but a lot of 50's can shift!

Laughing

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 18:52 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Well, they had to do something to the paintwork to go with the different frame, suspension and bodywork between 2000 and 2003 Wink .

So they did change something then. Very Happy
learn something new everyday. Although why can't they change the colour schemes a bit more. After all it is italian... they could come up with something better...

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:57 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rainbow colours and the gold rims was a first.
Not been done before on the production line.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:

I was about nice colour schemes Wink
(and they do that on an RS?)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
The BeefMeister wrote:

I was about nice colour schemes Wink
(and they do that on an RS?)

Yes they do Sick .

All the best

Keith

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rs 50 wont make12Bhp. 8 is more like it.

Using claimed figures.
The mito/rs power and weights.

The rs makes 33bhp - 25kw and weighs 142 kg

The mito makes 31bhp - 23.5kw and weighs 129kgs.

Power to weight ratios of-

Rs- 0.176Kw/Kg

mito - 0.182kW/kg

from dvla- "A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways. You are restricted to a motorcycle up to 25kW for two years"

Looks like a full power rs and mito are illegal to ride on a restricted full licence.....

AFAIK cagiva lowered the BHP to try and hit the power-to-weight ratio, whereas aprilia had a heavy bike so they didint have to.
Could just be lies though...

I think late, good condition NSRs will hold their value really well as people realise how crap the cbr is.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claimed dry weight of an RS is 115kg accoding to the owners handbook, while the Mito is 125kg (ish) according to the workshop manual depending on the model.

I have never seen an official claim from Aprilia of 33hp. They all gave up claiming peak power figures about 13 years ago after Gilera caused a public outcry releasing the 107mph SP01 (which could be ridden by a 16 year old in Italy). The makers stopped claiming top speed and power figures and the magazines stopped testing them for top speed and power.

All the best

Keith

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all gets a bit stupid.

To get that edge i might take a dump before riding, always run half a tank of fuel and wrap myself in clingfilm!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:17 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
It all gets a bit stupid.

To get that edge i might take a dump before riding, always run half a tank of fuel and wrap myself in clingfilm!

Forget the cling film. Too sticky and doesn't mould smoothly to your body. Just ride nude having first covered yourself in baby oil (minimun 40 weight).

To save more weight don't forget to drain most of the brake fluid out, run brake pads that are low, use unleaded petrol (lead weighs too much), use hydrogen fill the tyres, use a bicycle chain and use a lighter weight gearbox oil. Oh and leave your mobile phone behind (someone will need it to phone an ambulance for you) Wink .

The makers pull some silly stunts to get the weight of a bike down, such as weighing them with an empty battery and cooling system, etc.

All the best

Keith

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2003 RS50/125 Is a beautiful machine. Basically it's been made up to look like a baby RSV-R. Picture can be found below.

Yes i'd love one of these babies, they're gorgeous, but I still think the NSR paintwork is better Smile, and besides, not only have i made my decision (Smile) but I wouldn't spend £3300 on a new RS125 (Now that i come to think about it)...

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2