Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OT : Micro$oft at it again

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:56 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: OT : Micro$oft at it again Reply with quote

Hi

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03120403microsoftisfat.asp

Microsoft have suddenly decided to claim royalties on the FAT filing system, or 25 cents per unit for Compact Flash and the like.

All the best

Keith

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 16:58 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiots.
Its not like they don't earn enough already...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strikes me that it's just another example to add to the long list of Micro$oft grubbing money from under the carpet at other people's expense.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 17:04 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fair game to me, if I was them I would do it too.

Why not, its a defacto standard more or less and they own it so its good business since to get money out of it, especially now that media is so cheep, a few pence on the cost is peanuts to users but in the wider picture it will make a nice income.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:10 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it having much affect. As someone who commented on the article suggested, all the card manufacturers could easily get around it by supplying the cards unformatted.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:11 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but making something free with no suggestion of charging for 25 years to build up a captive user base, and then suddenly levying a fee is a bit of a con.

It is as bad as BT trying to claim royalties for the idea of hyperlinks.

All the best

Keith

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:13 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then they wonder why people are so happy to pirate/use pirated software. Rolling Eyes

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 17:13 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Yes, but making something free with no suggestion of charging for 25 years to build up a captive user base, and then suddenly levying a fee is a bit of a con.

I'd call that good long term business strategy. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:15 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

I'd call that good long term business strategy. Laughing

Maybe, or I would call it monopoly practices, worthy of a very large fine (say 20% of turnover) and the compulsory breaking up of the business.

All the best

Keith

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:21 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that microsoft is pretty much *the* software company. There's not much people could do to dethrone them.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

Racer X
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call that Capitalism at it's best!!!

Bill Gates has embarked on a mission to dominate the digital & electronic world!!!

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:27 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's already succeeded mate.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 18:24 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why people hate microsoft, it's a business. If I owned it like Gav said, i'd do it, it's good for business! I'd want my company to do as well as it should. I'm not gonna say "Oh well i make shit loads of money as it is, why not just make longhorn a fiver!?" If I owned the rights to things that someone created at my company(assuming they did from what I can make out) I'd want to make more money!
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:56 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far would you go though... where exactly would you draw the line on making money?

The annoying thing is FAT aint exactly a great file system anyway Confused.
I vote we move to FFS Smile.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:10 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo - people hate Microshaft not because they make money, but because they are basically a monopoly. And a lot of their products are shite. They're released with more bugs than a whores knickers.

And IMO Microshaft embody all that is wrong with capitalism.

Obviously this kind of thing doesn't help Microshaft's image. Although it may be legally right for them to start charging now, is it morally right? I think not.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hate Microsoft so much then why do you use their products? I bet it's because there's no viable alternative - in that case who is to blame? Microsoft because they have no large scale competition?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:30 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that because there isn't the possibilty of a new company joining the market. One of the features of a monopoly market.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 14:35 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yes, that because there isn't the possibilty of a new company joining the market. One of the features of a monopoly market.

No it's because the world does not like change
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without change i'll be bikeless for ever and ever.
Change is good Very Happy Cool .

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:37 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its not jimbob. When faced with a monopoly like Microshaft's its very hard to make a dent in it. Especially a noticable dent.

Linux is getting bigger and bigger, it just doesn't have the support yet. If it did then I'd be using it like a shot.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 14:40 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
No, its not jimbob. When faced with a monopoly like Microshaft's its very hard to make a dent in it. Especially a noticable dent.

Linux is getting bigger and bigger, it just doesn't have the support yet. If it did then I'd be using it like a shot.

The other problem is all the other manufacturers dont support linux, so go and hate them too.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:49 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboJ wrote:
McJamweasel wrote:

The other problem is all the other manufacturers don't support linux, so go and hate them too.

That is because M$ have dodgy clauses in their licence agreements which means that any maker selling PCs either has to ship only Windows equipped PCs or they have to pay far higher prices for the operating system.

After all if you were Dell and wanted to ship PCs with Linux, maybe 10% of your sales to start with. However the M$ lawyers then come along and say that if you start shipping any PCs with Linux installed then you will have to pay $20 a copy for Windows rather than $10. Would you add substantially to your costs to give your purchasers the choice?

The reason there is not much choice is because M$ have brought in the lawyers or just taken out the cheque book to make sure that any competition is either bankrupt or bought out. Notice Netscape selling much these days? How about Digital Research (who did their own version of DOS).

Personally I think the best idea would be to make Windows and its entire API an international standard. This way anyone would be free to develop their own versions of Windows as long as they kept to the standard compatible API.

All the best

Keith

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 14:53 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't givea shit as long as the games and programs work Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:56 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboJ wrote:

Wait until M$ start charging you for using the operating system. They have talked about doing it on a yearly basis, but give it time and they will just meter your time using the PC and bill you through your bank account when you log on.

All the best

Keith

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 14:58 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
JimboJ wrote:

Wait until M$ start charging you for using the operating system. They have talked about doing it on a yearly basis, but give it time and they will just meter your time using the PC and bill you through your bank account when you log on.

All the best

Keith

Well that would piss me off, so i'll continue to pirate every operating system i've ever "purchased" Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2