Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

400 vs 400 vs 400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: 400 vs 400 vs 400 Reply with quote

Just out of interest, are there any differences between the different 400s, or are they all about the same like the RS/NSR/Mito are?

Thanks

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 23:06 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just answered your own question son Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the ZXR400 is the best 400 going Wink

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamswheelyr1 wrote:
Only the ZXR400 is the best 400 going Wink

Funny you should say that! Cos I'm selling one! Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the same, all equally bad. If you want razor sharp handling, go for a sports 250 2 stroke. If you want some good power, get a sports 600+. If you want the worst of both world, get a sports 400.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 23:33 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby = The ost Negative Person on The Forum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:37 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass your test scooter boi, get a real bike.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:52 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:

Nope, should be: Robby = Owned a dodgy NC24 and thought that he had a proper 400.

Wink

Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 01:15 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Nope, should be: Robby = Owned a dodgy NC24 and thought that he had a proper 400.

I think 400s are good fun, a bike the average rider can come somewhere near the limits of. I've only ridden the cbr and a couple of vfr's which seemed fairly similar to me. I would have though one of the 4s would have been a good next step for you. A 2 stroke 250 would be a lot more hassle to maintain, a 4 stroke 250 wouldn't have the power and a jump to a 600 is quite a big step. Although Mr Baggins did manage to pull it off.
If I were looking for a 400, I'd buy the one I liked the look of best or the one I could get cheapest. The differences in power/handling etc aren't really big enough to base a choice on in my opinion.

One thing I would say though is avoid the NC24, from what I've heard it was a bit of a step backwards for Honda and you'd be better off getting a NC21.

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Time to get a loan. Shocked

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:21 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I would say though is avoid the NC24, from what I've heard it was a bit of a step backwards for Honda and you'd be better off getting a NC21.

What about the NC30 or an RVF?? The RVF is a tad more expensive but as most people would agree a better bike.

I was tempted with a ZXR400 and it was a very reasonable price for a very clean bike. Didnt have the cash at the time and was 16 at the time. Still I wouldn't have bought it as I still haven't done my bike test.

Once I've passed I'll be looking for a VFR, RVF or ZXR.

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's actually wrong with the NC24 btw?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 01:50 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

All round bad design. Some parts are superior to NC30, like rear wheel removal. 4 bolts, car style, where i believe the NC30 uses a circlip or summat. Chain adjustment is easier too because you don't need a special tool.

But otherwise the NC24 is very uncomfortable, just a nasty position to be in and a crap seat. You need to rev the balls off it to get anywhere, because its a 400. Handling can be twitchy, particularly on worn or old tyres, due to the 16inch front wheel. Handling feels a bit strange, because the front of the bike turns very fast (16 inch) and the rear turns/tips in very slow (18 inch).

The front forks are very soft and rather crude, and of course they have that lovely grey import trick of all the rubber hoses and seals being perished, so your fuel line splits (as i believe has also happened on gooseys bros 400 and mikes cbr250) and due to the air assisted forks on the front having rubber seals, they just don't really work.

Parts are very expensive if you can find them, and honda use the old trick of a stainless exhaust can (mild steel internals mind) with mild steel (i think) downpipes and a mild steel collector box. The collector rots, and if you can get one it costs around 400 quid. You also can't remove the rear exhaust downpipes with the engine in the frame.

Servicing is a joke. Changing the front spark plugs means getting the radiator swung forward, so it means all the bodywork off. Cunt of a bike to work on. Speedo drive may be the same as on the NSR, certainly not very strong as the one on my old NC24 broke soon after I sold it at around 28k km.

A tank of fuel lasts 160km inc. reserve. Tank looks big, but its almost flat in reality. I think it holds 12 or 13 litres inc. reserve, and my one use to drink the stuff at 40mpg.

Other little bits. The tyres are too skinny - only a 130 section rear. Sounds okish on the normal can, but if you decide to get a race can you need to go chopping up the old pipework to fit a slip on. You'd then have a job selling it on to someone like me, and the joy of getting the standard can back on for MOTs if your MOT test centre cares about cans.

the electrical system is very weak as on the NC30, the reg/rec goes first and may well take out the alternator with it, and normally the battery for good measure. The tacho packed up on mine, but then the whole ignition system seemed to be giving up the ghost. In fact now I think of it I had 2 tachos, the original one packed in when i first took the bike out, and the replacement from a breakers was going when i sold it.

Derestricting them is a bit of fun too - I'm talking about 33bhp derestriction if you get them fitted by a dealer. Being a V4 with the carbs in the middle you can have a bit of fun getting the carbs back onto the rubbers, particularly when the brass screws holding the carbs onto the brass airbox base have seized, and the carb rubbers have hardened.

And the final sting in the tail, for me at least, was the white wheels. I hate white wheels normally, they belong in the mid 80s, but the NC24 ones are full of nooks and crannies and a bitch to clean. Particularly bad when your cleaning it up for sale.

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral Exclamation

Shocked Confused

Not having one of them then. Unless it's free, maybe.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 03:02 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
All the same, all equally bad. If you want razor sharp handling, go for a sports 250 2 stroke. If you want some good power, get a sports 600+. If you want the worst of both world, get a sports 400.

Your next post is full of valid opinions about problems with 400's, but it seems to me that you never have anything good to say about anything! U ride a bike for a year or so quite happily and then say it's a load of shit as soon as you get a new one!
LIGHTEN UP Razz

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:21 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say all that robby but you want a harley which are worse than any jap bike.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:09 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of that is stuff you've had wrong with your bike. Where as I reckon Kevo wwould be able to give a completly different point of view.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:52 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any manufacturers still make 400s and if not, why not?

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:23 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:

Not road bikes AFAIK. Why not? Probably down to the accountant. Sure, 400s (usually sports) can fill a variety of niches in the market - short riders, new riders, uninsurable riders etc, but the fact of the matter is that most of these people wouldn't buy a new bike, especially with such a thriving used market. Also, the technology is becoming old, and may not pass future/current emmissions tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:30 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev wrote:

I know, but harleys look and sound nice. If I had one it wouldn't be for commuting, and i'd be fiddling with something on it before and after every time I took it out. Harleys are meant to break.

Ste wrote:
Most of that is stuff you've had wrong with your bike. Where as I reckon Kevo wwould be able to give a completly different point of view.

Indeed, but then Kevo also ride an expensive NC35 and spends a bit on servicing to keep it in tip top. Johns looking at my end of the market.

Last edited by Robby on 12:25 - 05 Dec 2003; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:46 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
Crash it for fun wrote:

Not road bikes AFAIK. Why not? Probably down to the accountant.

The 400 race replicas were designed for an old Japanese licence class. The Japanese bike market for sports bikes now is virtually non existant, with a 400 race rep being about as desireable as a fart in a space suit.

They were also VERY expensive when new. VFR400 was over £6000 in the UK when a CBR600 was under £5000. The reason there are loads over here is that they are bought for peanuts 2nd hand in Japan. There is basically no market for 2nd hand bikes in Japan (and no reason for the original owners to take much care of them). Indeed Japan used to have a problem with people dumping bikes, because otherwise the owners had to pay the dealers to take their old bike off them.

robby wrote:
kev wrote:

I know, but harleys look and sound nice. If I had one it wouldn't be for commuting, and i'd be fiddling with something on it before and after every time I took it out. Harleys are meant to break.

They sound awful, the engineering is ancient and the performance nominal. Build quality would make your VFR400 look good. If you want an out of date bike then buy an old British bike. It will be cheaper, quicker, have cheaper spares, be easier to work on, depreciate less, be cheaper to insure and probably be more reliable.

robby wrote:
Ste wrote:

Indeed, but then Kevo also ride an expensive NC35 and spends a bit on servicing to keep it in tip top. Johns looking at my end of the market.

Any bike at the bottom end of the market is likely to have mechanical problems. Just looks at Johns AR125. However Anna did not pay much more for her first CBR400 and that was reliable.

Personally I would say he should go for one of the cheap middle weights such as a GPZ500, CB500 or GS500 to build up some experience of larger heavier bikes, which should be easy to pick up in very useable condition for around £1000. However he should buy one for reasonable money and work on the basis that he will probably upgrade it in a year. I would say (and have said) pretty much the same thing to anyone who has just passed their test.

Not being funny to John, but do people really think it is a good idea for someone with only a couple of thousand miles experience on a 125 to jump onto a 150mph 600.

All the best

Keith

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the ZXR was still made. It was a couple of years back anyway, have they stopped it now?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:36 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ZXR4 failed the new emissions thing last year.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:36 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
I thought the ZXR was still made. It was a couple of years back anyway, have they stopped it now?

Think it was a victim of the changes in the emisions laws a couple of months ago.

All the best

Keith

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 13:18 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
McJamweasel wrote:

Think it was a victim of the changes in the emisions laws a couple of months ago.

All the best

Keith

Translation: "Lily livered european bungling beaurocrats* decided to murder the production of a whole bunch of bikes, because they had to be seen to be doing something to combat pollution."

Was the same move targeted at cars as well Keith?

Either way i think we'd be better off without the whole thing Mad

(*however you spell it)

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2