Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda XL125V Varadero Tappets - needs info!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chrisjpartrid...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:30 - 30 Dec 2010    Post subject: Honda XL125V Varadero Tappets - needs info! Reply with quote

Over a month ago I fitted a second hand engine to a 52 plate Varadero 125 and got it going, however then the snow and misery hit and it's only today I've had it on the road for the first time.

Though the bike has to be one of the eaiest bikes I've ever ridden it feels down on power, even for a 125.

The engine sounds a little rattly up top so I'm wanting to check the valve clearances but I can't find the gaps anywhere!

Can any one please help?

Also any other info is appreciated.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:06 - 30 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the actual clearances?

Valve clearance (intake): 0,15 +/- 0,02
Valve clearance (exhaust): 0,24 +/- 0,02

Or if you want to know HOW to do them..

That manual says from a cold engine, remove the rocker cover, you should see your valves in there.
On your engine casing are removable "plugs" (screwed in to the left side of the casing) Put a 17mm socket and rotate until your cam is in the correct position to do the intake then, do same for exhaust.

Then rotate your engine fully to make sure your not going to damage to the bike you turn it back on.

Thats a rough guide from the manual sitting on my desk Laughing Friend still hasnt picked it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisjpartrid...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate - just needed the clearances, should have said!

I'll get to it in the morning. Once that's done I can have a go at ballancing the carbs too (as they are off the old engine so are probably way out) and hopefully all should be well.

Feels good to have a project that actually works for a change - Wish my CB125TD-C had gone this smoothly!!

kingsknight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did it need its engine replacing?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:25 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingsknight wrote:

Could have ran without oil, or the infamous Varadero milky/mayo oil destroyed it, the older ones has a tendancy to allow water in through the oil filler cap/cap o-ring.
Made it all gunk up and effectively stuff it if it wasnt changed quickly.

One of the scare stories which stopped me buying one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisjpartrid...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine was changed as (I assume) it'd been run dry of oil.

When I collected the bike it'd hardly run and had pretty much nothing in the sump.
Seemed easier just to swap it for a low milage lump... So I did!

Stranged thing is that it came with a receipt for over £500's worth of work being completed by a Honda main dealer 6 weeks beforehand with lists many things including an MOT, chain/sprokets, tyre and some repairs... but no service!!

Never will understand some people!

chrisjpartrid...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
kingsknight wrote:

Could have ran without oil, or the infamous Varadero milky/mayo oil destroyed it, the older ones has a tendancy to allow water in through the oil filler cap/cap o-ring.
Made it all gunk up and effectively stuff it if it wasnt changed quickly.

One of the scare stories which stopped me buying one.

Haven't heard of that one before but certainly food for thought - thanks for mentioning it.

kingsknight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that the XR125 is aircooled Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1