Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER5 Bogging down when accelerating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: ER5 Bogging down when accelerating Reply with quote

Hey, yesterday I rode my ER-5 from my parents back to mine (60 miles of motorway) everything was fine.

Today I rode to work (40 miles of motorway approx) and I noticed that the bike was bogging down whenever the revs passed 5,000rpm, it feels like the bike needs to go onto reserve but I filled the fuel tank this morning. If I put the bike on reserve the same thing happens.

Any ideas what might be causing this? My guess is there is something blocking the fuel line or maybe there is something in the jets in the carbs but I was wondering if anything else might be causing this? I have fitted a set of heated grips to the bike recently, but when I turned them off the bike was still bogging down, would a weak spark cause the same sort of behaviour?

Thanks and sorry if the layout/spelling is bad, I've typed this on my phone.

James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Willson
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:03 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems like that with mine, try:

Charging the battery, changing the spark plugs, try using some Redex fuel system cleaner (Not the injector cleaner) next time you fill up as well.

Also, try disconnecting the heated grips and see if you have the same problems.

HTH

Willson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just be carb icing.

Did it last for the whole journey or just for a short time?

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disconnect the grips for the ride homecoming and I'll try get some redex. It started about 10 miles in and didn't stop, the air temp was about 5 degrees so I wouldn't have thought it was icing. Although its a possibility.

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt the er-5 have heated carbs? i know the gpz does and they're pretty much the same bike

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:14 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. They have carb heaters that run off the coolant system.

I would suggest checking your air filter. It could be clogged or coming apart.

Does it start pulling normally again if you keep the throttle pinned until the revs go above 8,000?

If so, there is a "power jet" built into the carb on these bikes (located round the edge of the choke where they attach to the airbox rubbers). These fill in a massive fuelling deadspot at around 7k rpm. If they become blocked, it'll run fine at low and high revs but the midrange is non-existant. They are commonly blocked by bits of knackered air filter when they go. The jets themselves can't be removed but can be blown through with compressed air.

*cough* Don't ask me how I know. Embarassed
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/airfilter.jpg

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't tried pushing it beyond 8k revs I'll try that on my way to uni tomorrow.

As an update I turned off the heated grips and it made no difference at all. I did notice however that if I put the choke on it started running, not normally, but it felt a lot better. It made a huge difference when going up a very large hill on the motorway.

I'll pop the air filter off before I ride to check its not coming away. It is fairly old, about 13k miles according to my service notes.

Cheers for the advice guys Smile

Willson
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 with what Stinkwheel said, worth a try!

13k miles? Mine's done 45k+ 0_o.

Took the cylinder head off the other day and it looks like it hasn't seen daylight since it left the factory...

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 05 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the bike is starving of fuel due to vacuum in the tank.

When it bogs down, pull over and open the filler cap and listen for a whoosh of air.

Another way would be to ride with the cap slighty open and see if that cures it.

If so you have a tank breather blockage.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 06 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the carb heaters are anything like the ones on my gpz1100 then they are cack!

tried draining the float bowls in case some water has creeped in?

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried gunning it on the way home but I ran out of road before it could get past 7k rpm, it felt like it was picking up as it got there though. I should hopefully have some time tomorrow morning to pull the carbs off and have a clean out. I'm hoping its just something simple like a blocked jet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1