Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

diesel spill campaign update

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

DazBike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: diesel spill campaign update Reply with quote

I know we have had some great support from everyone here so i thought i would let you know how its going.

The TRUCKS team have been very busy over the past month, having set up this website to spearhead the campaign, the members of the CBR and Ninja forums (and others) have been out and about distributing our posters, flyers and cards at bike shops, bike meets, petrol stations etc. We are working hard to get our message across, by word of mouth and the net. We have achieved a lot in the past month and by working together as a team our message is getting across.

We have had some exciting moments in winning the support of the biking media with Fast Bikes and Two Wheels Only. Members of the TRUCKS team have personally spoken to both Dan Harris (publisher of Fast Bikes) and Bertie Simmonds (editor of Two) and they have both agreed to cover our campaign in their February issues, on sale in December. Our team have been working with their journalists in charge of the story and both magazines have given us their logos to display on our posters and website.

If you look around the site you can see the extent of the support we have already gathered, bearing in mind that the campaign was only born following Lee’s tragic accident, 18th October 2003.

Where appropriate our supporters have covered our campaign on their websites and newsletters and allowed us to display their logos on our posters and website. We have attached links from our website to theirs.

The RAC Foundation and the Freight Transport Association have issued a press release on our behalf and these have resulted in articles appearing in the London Evening Standard and the BBC News North Wales (website). Further enquiries are coming in daily and we are working with our supporters to compile articles for interested publishers. Craig Carey-Clinch of The Motorcycle Industry Association has appeared on BBC5 live midday news to publicise the campaign and he has also agreed to facilitate a meeting of our team with the All Party Parliamentary Group for Motorcycling. Asda is the first retailer to support our campaign and are in the process of copying our posters, flyers and truckers note to all of their delivery drivers. They have also agreed to place the posters and flyers on notice boards and at their fuelling points.

Lembit Öpik MP has signed our petition and in response to our letter has promised to bring our campaign to the attention of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Motorcycling.

We have been truly heartened by the enormous level of support over the past month, but our campaign has a long way to go. The support we have raised lends weight to our campaign when contacting other organisations and companies. The TRUCKS team are committed to making our roads safer for ALL road users, not just motorcyclists. To this end we envisage that this campaign will run until next spring.

Our campaign has become international! We have received an e-mail from Catalonia, where a police car skidded on a diesel spill and hit three elderly ladies, two were killed and the third is in intensive care. The police have found the lorry driver responsible. The local press have covered our campaign, informing locals of our campaign to improve the situation on the UK roads. E-mails have arrived from the USA and Australia in support of the campaign.

Thanks again everyone for the support. Very Happy Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 18:45 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - you are doing really well! It's heartening to know that if you make an effort to try and change something for the better you really can make a difference. Smile

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:47 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats excellent news, seems like the campaign is really gathering momentum now.

Well done.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why they don't make the filler caps on trucks leak proof, or is that to easy??

BLacKPooLLaD
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good 2 hear that it has took off well!!. Should stop accidents from happening Very Happy.

Luke

AF1Racing.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:35 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a shame that it has not spread to Mitcham / Croydon, the amount of fuel thats on the roads round here is a joke, you can see it (rainbow effect on wet roads) on all the main roads around here.

Maybe you also need to target the bus companies too, as I am sure these are also over filled.
Some of these posters, flyers and cards etc need to be sent here !

I'm am willing to help with distributing this stuff, but how does one go about getting them ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I now have these posters, flyers etc .....

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 13:59 - 13 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
Well it's a shame that it has not spread to Mitcham / Croydon, the amount of fuel thats on the roads round here is a joke, you can see it (rainbow effect on wet roads) on all the main roads around here.

Maybe you also need to target the bus companies too, as I am sure these are also over filled.
Some of these posters, flyers and cards etc need to be sent here !

I'm am willing to help with distributing this stuff, but how does one go about getting them ?

I've got to agree that it's the buses that seem to spill the most diesel in London. Bus lanes are useful, but the amount of diesel in there makes you wary of them.

DazBike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
OK, I now have these posters, flyers etc .....

nice one. Very Happy

we have the posters and other stuff for download on the website www.killspills.org.uk You can also keep up with the latest news on the site as well.

Thanks for everyones support. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 12:19 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
excellent well done mate, if only there were more people like you Very Happy

/me pokes self motivation

Luke

DazBike
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Hi
excellent well done mate, if only there were more people like you Very Happy

/me pokes self motivation

Luke

Its not just me, we have a number of members that are do the work.

In the new year we will have a suppoters pack, so if you want get motivated we'll send you one. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1