Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

complete novice - please advise - Piaggio nrg 09

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

paul777
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:36 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: complete novice - please advise - Piaggio nrg 09 Reply with quote

Hi all
this is my first post and its also my first scooter, quite late in life but I need something for commuting, I am having lots of fun with the scooter and also learning slowly as i go along.
my question is my oil warning light flashes intermittently, does not stay on constantly,more sporadic,every 20 or 30 seconds, but i have checked the 2 stroke oil and it is topped up,
I do have a small confession to make, i am hoping this is coincidental and is not a factor here, i managed to top up the petrol using my petrol can which was in the shed, i completely forgot that this was the fuel i use for the strimmer and i had put 2 stroke in this earlier,that would probably explain why the scooter was less responsive, I was twisting alot but there was not as much go, lets just say there was alot of throttle movement to get it to pull away,what a plonker i am. hence why i wanted to ask have i damaged the engine in some way or will this clear eventually and is this the reason the oil warning light is flashing sporadically, for anyone that takes the time to respond, i thank you in advance as i appreciate any help or advise with this.

ps. I have since depleted the mix that was in the tank and have 100% petrol in there, strangely enough when there was a mix in tank the oil light did not come on,i did notice there is still a bit smoke from exhaust and bike is still not as responsive as i would want,lol,

kind regard
Paul

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 10 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike would run weak with premix and the oil from the injector, but if it's still going, ticks over and isn't smoking excessively, chances are it's OK. With a low powered engine you can get away with quite a lot.

Oil warning light flashing could be a dodgy float indicator connection. Some bikes do flash when there's plenty of oil left as you bounce over bumps. Nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on the 2 stroke oil. Can't see how it could be related to using premix as the oil light will (or should) only flash when the float in the oil tank reaches a certain level.

paul777
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:24 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: hi there Reply with quote

many thanks for your response, it was really helpful, I did also call my local scooter shop and they said it should be fine, might be a little unresponsive until it clears.
i have also noticed that scooter is not very good in the wet,it keeps stalling on me and as much as i use the throttle is does not take off, i am guessing its damp or wet in places and this is why.
its a real shame as it going to be difficult to keep it running as its all raining here,lol.
there must be a way to cure this,would be interested in what you think,and thanks again for taking the time to write me a post,very kind
kind regards
Paul

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: hi there Reply with quote

paul777 wrote:
many thanks for your response, it was really helpful, I did also call my local scooter shop and they said it should be fine, might be a little unresponsive until it clears.
i have also noticed that scooter is not very good in the wet,it keeps stalling on me and as much as i use the throttle is does not take off, i am guessing its damp or wet in places and this is why.
its a real shame as it going to be difficult to keep it running as its all raining here,lol.
there must be a way to cure this,would be interested in what you think,and thanks again for taking the time to write me a post,very kind
kind regards
Paul

Most likely cause of misfiring in the wet would be water getting past the plug cap seals. Make sure the plug cap, HT lead/coil and ignition switch are all regularly sprayed with WD40. In fact it's a good idea to give all areas of the electrics a going over with WD from time to time, particularly in wet weather.

paul777
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:26 - 12 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: hi there Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
paul777 wrote:
kind regards
Paul

Most likely cause of misfiring in the wet would be water getting past the plug cap seals. Make sure the plug cap, HT lead/coil and ignition switch are all regularly sprayed with WD40. In fact it's a good idea to give all areas of the electrics a going over with WD from time to time, particularly in wet weather.

cheers again dude.
think I will need to get familar with these different parts,i am familar with spark plug lead but the other bits,that might be interesting,not sure where coil is, its pretty cramped and inaccessible, i did spray some wd40 last night over everything i could get to but it still was hard work this morning(not much life),in places i had to wave cars to go past me as it just would not take off and there was a hill where i thought i might have to get off this and push it as there was nothing there,thankfully i managed to crawl up it, I bought the scooter for the winter hoping life would be easier for me but if it continues i know its going to let me down badly 1 morning, is this type of thing common with scooters,i am guessing it is as everything on the scooter is exposed and so close to ground,hope i am able to find everything that needs to be sprayed with wd40,maybe i should search for a diagram showing me where i can find all the bits that need to be sprayed,dont mind doing that if it works,thanks again for your help.
kind regards
Paul
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1