Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

can you find the time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

xlfive
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Dec 2003    Post subject: can you find the time Reply with quote

in todays hectic runaround society do we ever stop to think about what we are doing, here is a little story a friend emailed me today

It had been some time since Jack had seen the old man. In the rush of his busy life, Jack had little time to think about the past and often no time to spend with his wife and son. He was working on his future, and nothing could stop him.

Over the phone, his mother told him, "Mr. Belser died last night. The funeral is Wednesday." Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat quietly remembering his childhood days.

"Jack, did you hear me?"

"Oh, sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought of him. I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago," Jack said.

"Well, he didn't forget you. Every time I saw him he'd ask how you were doing. You know, Jack, after your father died, Mr. Belser stepped in to make sure you had a man's influence in your life," she said.

"He's the one who taught me carpentry, I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for him. He spent a lot of time teaching me things he thought were important...Mom, I'll be there for the funeral," Jack said.

As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to his hometown. Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He had no children of his own, and most of his relatives had passed away.

The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by to see the old house next door one more time.

Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment. It was like crossing over into another dimension, a leap through space and time. The house was exactly as he remembered. Every step held memories. Every picture, every piece of furniture....Jack stopped suddenly.

"What's wrong, Jack?" his Mom asked.

"The box is gone," he said.

"What box? " Mom asked.

"There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk. I must have asked him a thousand times what was inside. All he'd ever tell me was 'the thing I value most,'" Jack said.

It was gone. Everything about the house was exactly how Jack remembered it, except for the box. He figured someone from the Belser family had taken it.

"Now I'll never know what was so valuable to him," Jack said. "I better get some sleep. I have an early flight home, Mom."

It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died. Returning home from work one day Jack discovered a note in his mailbox.

"Signature required on a package. No one at home. Please stop by the main post office within the next three days," the note read.

Early the next day Jack retrieved the package. The small box was old and looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago. The handwriting was difficult to read, but the return address caught his attention.

"Mr. Harold Belser" it read.

Jack took the box out to his car and ripped open the package. There inside was the gold box and an envelope. Jack's hands shook as he read the note inside.

"Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack Bennett. It's the thing I valued most in my life."

A small key was taped to the letter. His heart racing, as tears filling his eyes, Jack carefully unlocked the box. There inside he found a beautiful gold pocket watch.

Running his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the cover.

Inside he found these words engraved: "Jack, Thanks for your time! Harold Belser."

"The thing he valued most...was...my time."

Jack held the watch for a few minutes, then called his office and cleared his appointments for the next two days.

"Why?" Janet, his assistant asked.

"I need some time to spend with my son," he said.

"Oh, by the way, Janet...thanks for your time!"

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't have time to read all, that but I'm sure it's good. Very Happy

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzzzzzzzzz

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 18:57 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people insist on posting this shite in the general forum?

Maybe we could start a 'Bollocks' forum and post stuff like this in there?

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:59 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because most of the posts would end up in there? Rolling Eyes Laughing

xlfive
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:59 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: can you find the time Reply with quote

[quote="Andrew"]Why do people insist on posting this shite in the general forum?

evidently you have not experienced this kind of loss and i hope you never will but please put your brain in gear before you make rash statements, if this forum had a slot for this kind of post believe me i would have used it to avoid childish remarks like yours

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:59 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of words could describe the post above,

But unfortunately I think I have been doing too many one line posts lately so I shall try to lengthen this one.

Why is this relevant to a motorcycling forum? we all have more time to give to our friends and relatives because we ride bikes therfore we save ages on our journeys to work. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xlfive
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: can you find the time Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

But unfortunately I think I have been doing too many one line posts lately so I shall try to lengthen this one.

Why is this relevant to a motorcycling forum? we all have more time to give to our friends and relatives because we ride bikes therfore we save ages on our journeys to work. Laughing

there are a lot of posts on "general chat" that are not relevent to motorbikes so why is mine so different

for example

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21204

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: can you find the time Reply with quote

xlfive wrote:
MarJay wrote:

there are a lot of posts on "general chat" that are not relevent to motorbikes so why is mine so different

for example

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21204

Notice the lol symbol it looks like this Laughing

just to point it out heres a roll eyes symbol for you Rolling Eyes Smile

Jimmythe1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:58 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I liked it, I believe that we should value our time more, and that of others.

That's why I only read the first three lines Cool

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe taking time to read all of it will actually explain the point!
Alough not the norm its a nice thing to rember!

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had enough time to read it, makes a good point in my opinion. I don't see what the problem is with posting it in general, where else could it be posted FFS? This thread has a million times more value than all the sh1t posted regarding Shaun's sexuality.

I say if you don't want to read a post, just don't read it, it wastes less time than bitching about it after the fact.

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:25 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get's your total amount of posts up by bitching. Wink

But I agree, I don't particularly want to know about Shaun's sexuality. I haven't read that post yet because I'm too lazy to.

The sexuality thing should have started in Fights and Flame wars section because you all know it would end up as more than just a simple yes or no answer.

I only skim read the post about Shaun's gayness and got bored of it. Most the time I'll open it and go back to the list I was in before just so it has become a 'read' post.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:44 - 15 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
Well I had enough time to read it, makes a good point in my opinion. I don't see what the problem is with posting it in general, where else could it be posted FFS? This thread has a million times more value than all the sh1t posted regarding Shaun's sexuality.

I say if you don't want to read a post, just don't read it, it wastes less time than bitching about it after the fact.

Sorry, I thought my post was tongue in cheek enough to get by as a non slagging off Embarassed Smile

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 14:54 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those people who have experienced a loss like this, it makes a clear and valid point that those who have lost somebody will wish they had learned before it happened. People don't live forever so look after them and spend time with them when you have them i think is the message, and i'm amazed some people don't seem to realise this. Yes this post might not be relevant to motorcycling, but then again it might be. Bikes are hardly risk free, and BCF members have had their fair share of near misses and injuries.

Take care of your friends and family while you have them, and give them the time they deserve. One day you won't have them, and you will wish you had.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
Jay This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 15:25 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mum must have a valid point then Smile.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:28 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it sounded more like Jerry Springer Very Happy

I liked the post, it is relevant, and very true.

Unfortunately it is quite long and for people lacking a normal attention span (like my Jimmy) could seem a little difficult to comprehend...

J for Joke - sorry James!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Jay This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:54 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so we gotta make time for people, I agree - but do we have to take all of this so seriously. Surely a thread whose basis is death deserves to have a light hearted ribbing.
describing it as 'boll0cks' might be a little excessive.

If we all take our own mortality so seriously then we're all likely to end up in a depressive stupour.

Personally I agree with the sentiment behind the post, as I said before. Perhaps my previous comments about time and motorcycles were not taken in the spirit in which they were intended. For that I am sorry.

I didn't realise it was taken so seriously.

Xlfive
Tell you what, In future, I'll promise to try not to make rash comments about posts, as long as you try not to take other peoples comments straight to heart. When someone comments on a post IMO, they are not making a personal attack on yourself but they are freely discussing their own ideas on the subject. If people want to ignore a concept as important as making time for friends and relations then that is their own lookout. Personally I was attempting to make light of a pretty depressing thing.

Oh and I agree that threads about the sexuality of members of the forum ought to be kept in the playground with all of the other kiddies.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 17:00 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If we all take our own mortality so seriously then we're all likely to end up in a depressive stupour.

You hit that one right on the head there Mark.

Having lost a number of friends now (far too many for someone of my age to tell the truth) I understand the importance of friends. Hannah may be able to express my love for my friends more than me as she is the one that has to cope with the fact IO can make time for just about anyone at her seeming expense. Simple fact of the matter is I won't turn my back on any friend no matter what they have done.

However people die and it is sad, but life as they say goes on. You need to be able to laugh at everything in life. I mean when my grand father died my mother and me took a picture of him in his coffin as it was the best he looked in years. This upset some people.

My plans for my own funeral are currently been revised and once I'm happy they will be written in to my will (yes I'm 26 and have a last will and testament etc). My funeral at present has me been buried at sea, but not the normal way.

I want a light hearted feel to it, I want two clowns to wheel out a big cannon on to the deck to the entertainer type theme. I want someone to the shout pull and I want firing across the ship in to the water. I'm not sure if I want an effective 21 gun salute as well, I say effective in that the guests will have shotguns and when someone shouts pull thy can all take a shot at me. Laughing

Now you try and keep a straight face at that funeral!

Life is for living and friends are for loving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to be buried with my bike and everyone can drink champagne and everything and get pissed Smile.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:13 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be buried in the middle of the Sahara, while wearing deep sea diving kit just to confuse whoever happens to find my body in years to come Smile

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 19:22 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a touching story, and probably didn't deserve the "abuse", but then again, everyone is entitled to their opinions...

Ste wrote:
I want to be buried in the middle of the Sahara, while wearing deep sea diving kit just to confuse whoever happens to find my body in years to come Smile

I think that excitement of finding some proof of the existence of Hobbits will mask the confusion. Wink Laughing

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 19:33 - 16 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heat will melt every bit of you ste, apart from your feet hair Razz.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2