Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Electronic Drum Kits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Electronic Drum Kits Reply with quote

Thinking of purchasing one, wondering if anyone here has any experience of them or recommendations.

A midi interface would be useful so i can hook it into my DAW.

Whilst i accept that they'll never match a 'real' kit, they do have the advantage of being (relatively) silent if played through headphones. Be nice to get the kids playing too, drummers are always in short supply, and i've got my retirement to think of Wink.
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only played this one:
https://www.chamberlainmusic.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=TD-12KX

I can say it sounds excellent.
Price is a bit steep though. Laughing
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have room for a full size electric kit, so make do with a Yamaha DD55. It has midi, so drives EZDrummer in Cubase quite nicely.

Here's a bloke with 2 :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNEiw0tldo
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played on the Roland TD-9. Excellent kit, robust, nice dynamics and feel on the snare and cymbals. The 'drum brains' sounds are good enough to record the audio direct via the stereo output.
Higher up their range you have separate outputs for audio.

I'm using a Yamaha DTX. Upgraded the snare and cymbals. Only use the drum brain sounds for practise. Normally route the pads via MIDI into N.I's Battery..sometimes into my synths.

[obvious]
They don't feel right, but after a few hours being able to trigger orchestral hits or bass lines...infact anything, your drum-snobbiness will of been replaced by smiles. Thumbs Up


Things to be aware of. They do make noise. They take up space even when folded.
The racks on the Roland and Yamaha are really stable and the kick pedal has spikes to grip the carpet.

I use a Firewire audio interface. But the 24/96 soundcard i used to use was adequate.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna cost a pretty penny for a good one unless you can get a good second hand deal, I believe Roland kits are the shizzle these days.

I used to have a yamaha dtxpress II which was pretty primitive as far as electric drum kits go but it done the job whether ran through headphones or even a 60watt guitar amp, I loved it, and it was great for stress too, especially since I had two kick sensors for that double bass effect, but for £250 it was great.

I'd recommend going into a good music shop and having a bash on a few, and you'll be sold pretty quickly I think. I had to get rid of mine to make room for the bike, but I fully intend to get one again in the future.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought one for my kids and there Ok
no need to go top of the range if you have midi and samples you can make a synth kit sound good
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 27 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Roland TD-3, as you say, relatively silent but not totally so, infact to listeners the tapping is more annoying than an acoustic set! Don't be persuaded that they aren't as good as acoustic sets as they are, with the right headphones and model its spot on, though I think its just the feel of an acoustic is more natural to a drummer. I bought mine for £250 a year or so ago, barely use it anymore, if you lived closer you could have borrowed it no bother!

I would definitely recommend, and if you have Rock Band or Guitar Hero you can use it on those for a more authentic feel, theres a level of satisfaction gained from playing real songs spot on with a proper looking kit! The only thing I will say is they are better on carpeted floors and the kick drum is abit hit and miss, I had double bass set up on mine and it created a few problems with my kick pedal.

Don't spend alot on your first kit and you will be fine Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:09 - 28 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Roland TD-3 and it's ok. It'll never ever respond in the same way a real kit does but it's fine for practising. In my experience, when everything is set out with enough space to feel like you're not playing a midgets kit they don't take up that much less space than a real kit but then they do fold up pretty small. As has been said they're not silent either, that tapping does get annoying for anyone else in the house. My TD-3 has midi outs which easily connects up to Cubase for sampling or programming.

They're definitely a lot of fun and are more practical than a real kit but they'll never match a real one!
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 2.58 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 61.08 Kb