Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What're You Currently Listening To

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Avenged Sevenfold

What's your favourite songs/albums so far?

Title track from "Hail to the King" just came up. Love the lead guitar riffing and solo Thumbs Up

Update: Also like the varied guitar work on "Higher", from The Stage album.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 20:18 - 13 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've got all the studio albums from Alter Bridge now (5 of em?). I like them a lot. But I'd have to say, I prefer Myles Kennedy's work with Slash - seems to have more energy, if a slightly less heavy sound, and he lets his vocals soar a bit more.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Title track from "Hail to the King" just came up. Love the lead guitar riffing and solo Thumbs Up

Update: Also like the varied guitar work on "Higher", from The Stage album.

As simple as HTTK is, it's one of my favourite songs to play on the drums. It's just pure, powerful 4/4 beat. (And I'm also not good enough to play super tech stuff, so I feel good about myself when I play it!!!)
That album is very enjoyable with regards to old-school riffing and general simplistic style metal. It was met with a very mixed reception, but I think a lot of fans missed the "point" to the album; it was meant to be simple and "old school". It was their first step away from what I would call the Avenged sound (3 albums previous being the embodiment of that).

The Stage as an album is another huge step in a new direction for their sound. I really like it. It's got a very progressive sound to it, and as you say; the varied (and complex) guitaring is quite something.
But the die-hard fan within, is a tad disappointed as I feel it's a little too far from the bands sound that made me love them in the first place. Although it is good that they're not just making the same music over and over.

Keep exploring Thumbs Up
I would expect you wont enjoy anything pre-City of Evil. The first two albums are screamy hardcore style, which is what the band started as until Matt blew out his vocal chords and the band had to alter their sound to suit clean singing (which from him, I prefer anyway).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school. Yup, that's me Very Happy Laughing
I definitely prefer the cleaner singing style. Sometimes, it saddens me, as I know I must be missing out on some good guitar work cos I don't like that pure screaming thing the death metal bands do. Although, super fast doesn't do it for me either, and I find the death metal bands lack imagination when it comes to good rhythm work. They all sound a bit the same to me in that regard, but that's probably the generation gap thing too Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" from Iron Maiden came up on the mix yesterday. I haven't heard that one in years, and had forgotten how good it is. Definitely marked as a favourite. That's the Iron Maiden I love!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick and polished Drum n Bass.

Vol 4 from the Earth series.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOnL6pUWAAEOVr1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these guys are currently my favourite heavy rock band, in a tradition of good bands from Oz such as AC/DC, Rose Tattoo etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paoOYyecZZc

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New LP from the Bristol psychedelic noodlers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOsP1fWWkAAea1x.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:28 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Think I've got all the studio albums from Alter Bridge now (5 of em?). I like them a lot. But I'd have to say, I prefer Myles Kennedy's work with Slash - seems to have more energy, if a slightly less heavy sound, and he lets his vocals soar a bit more.

I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall last month with a 52 piece orchestra and it was a magical night Thumbs Up

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I'm sorry, I just can't go there Laughing

I have, however, just got myself a couple more Avenged Sevenfold albums. Yeah, they get towards the realms of the extreme sometimes, but I like the fact they're a bit more varied - you know, even musical at times! Shocked Laughing That's as far as I go in metal.

Avenged are my all time favourite band. Y'know that one band that no matter what they do, you'll love them? That's Avenged for me.

What's your favourite songs/albums so far?

I could gush for days about them so by all means open the flood-gates with an open-ended question, but beware of much Tef-esque dribble about aspects of the band you're probably not bothered about! Laughing

Top choice!!

I saw them in Manchester in January, but their sound quality was really poor. Disturbed were the support act and were much better Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardcore Punk from Canada.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOxJr0mXcAIYnxs.jpg

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:
I saw them in Manchester in January, but their sound quality was really poor. Disturbed were the support act and were much better Thumbs Up

I went to the very same gig!

Maybe my memory is just a tad shite, but I don't recall their sound being particularly poor... But I was fairly close to the front. Were you in the seating?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gentle sloshing of the Adriatic Cool .

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^You got the fare to pay up front yeah?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite.
But I remember that I randomly polished my lucky Russian spoon recently.
And this evening I have been taken out for Abruzzese food of much awesomeness (effectively barbecued veal t-bone) And local red wine. Phwoar. 😎

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fvck off trophy hunting scvm.

https://soundcloud.com/howling-terror/two-killers-kill

Tell your friends, spam your enemies and make me happy.

Last edited by Howling Terror on 23:55 - 20 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Have all the neighbours fled in panic yet? Razz

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

How did you get that bass tone? DI or amp and mic...or both?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cort Action4>> Pick>> Flatwounds >> Jazz pickup >> DI >> Split >> Clean RNC Compressor + Valve mashed preamp >>> 80% Clean 20% Dirty.

Yeah DI.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
^^ Have all the neighbours fled in panic yet? Razz

One is deaf.
One is indifferent.
The others are 2 walls away.

Mrs Terror knows no different and thinks something is wrong if I'm not making ornaments rattle.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Cort Action4>> Pick>> Flatwounds >> Jazz pickup >> DI >> Split >> Clean RNC Compressor + Valve mashed preamp >>> 80% Clean 20% Dirty.

Yeah DI.

If I'd had to guess I would've said DI - even though it sounds fuck all like it from one POV. The distortion tone sounds quite amp&cab - however, what "gives it away" a bit imo is the compression. It's *really* difficult to get that sound by compressing a mic'd signal after the fact - at least ime. Anyway - great tone. I'd like to hear it w/out the RNC (I don't rate that box btw - to clean and clinical, lacks character). Is the valve pre one of those Behringer racks of yours? Regardless, I'd guess that's responsible for the lion's share of the tone - would you agree? And the RNC is "just" providing low freqs and "consistency"?

Do you get a phasing issue when splitting the signal, and if so, how do you deal with it?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mindprint Envoice MKI channel strip supplied the mashed part of the signal. It's a cracking do-it-all box and I pushed the input gain hard which feeds the valve. Bypassed its internal compressor. No EQ on the way in.

The RNC just to even the dynamics (i.e partially masque my lacking technique) and like you mentioned doesn't take away much low end when used in the 'super nice' mode. I would've also used a LF cut to leave the low part of the kick some room.

The signals probably arrived at the input at the same time so no audible phasing problems (If it works in mono it's fine by me).

Parts were recorded onto tape then re-aligned back in the box.
Aside; The preamps in the Akai are luvverly...I pray to the god of capacitors that they last a while longer.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
A Mindprint Envoice MKI channel strip supplied the mashed part of the signal. It's a cracking do-it-all box and I pushed the input gain hard which feeds the valve. Bypassed its internal compressor. No EQ on the way in.

The RNC just to even the dynamics (i.e partially masque my lacking technique) and like you mentioned doesn't take away much low end when used in the 'super nice' mode. I would've also used a LF cut to leave the low part of the kick some room.

The signals probably arrived at the input at the same time so no audible phasing problems (If it works in mono it's fine by me).

Parts were recorded onto tape then re-aligned back in the box.
Aside; The preamps in the Akai are luvverly...I pray to the god of capacitors that they last a while longer.

/\ /\ Is that some sort of a music Score then? Smile

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a precis without the detail and rules of a music score.

It's Anarchy with guidelines.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:27 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
spnorm wrote:

I went to the very same gig!

Maybe my memory is just a tad shite, but I don't recall their sound being particularly poor... But I was fairly close to the front. Were you in the seating?

Yes, to the right of the stage and quite close to the front. The sound (where I was sat) was pretty poor Sad

Leeds tends to be better as it’s a proper auditorium, but doesn’t get all the big bands. We’re going to see Stone Sour next week though at Leeds, followed by Kasabian in Birmingham (fantastic live in Manchester a couple of years ago) and then FFDP in Leeds on 20th December Cool

Linkin Park, Alter Bridge, Papa Roach and Skunk Anansie have been the highlights of this years 19 gigs so far Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Page 120 of 199