Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What're You Currently Listening To

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrQSNGLWkAE_OZn.jpg

A perennial favourite...A masterpiece.<<< No exaggeration.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrQSNGcWwAAer-2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:32 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled across this gem of an artist:

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a0491212001_10.jpg

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
This.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrQSNGLWkAE_OZn.jpg

A perennial favourite...A masterpiece.<<< No exaggeration.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrQSNGcWwAAer-2.jpg

Sounds tinny and thin. Also, vox yelps and can't really carry a tune. I also think the guitar harmonising is too reliant on parallel thirds (or fifths, etc.). If I was going to go for that kind of guitar work from that era, it'd probably be Lizzy's Jailbreak over Telly's first.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has not carrying a tune stopped the greats, or overuse of 5ths by the guitarist.
Sounds good where I'm sitting and a couple of Fenders played without distorton will never have the weight you want.
Andy Johns also engineered Zep so I guess he knew what he was doing on Marquee Moon.

A masterpiece yes, with citations.

[back of the net]

PS drop 3db at 12k boost 80hz 2db.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror, how many records do you have, and how big is the area you store them in. I picture you as some lost archive of recordings, like John Peel or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many, but I get at least 1 new album a month.

About 14' of records 25' of CDs and 9' of tapes...so roughly too many for a healthy person and a pitiful amount for a proper archivist.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Since when has not carrying a tune stopped the greats, or overuse of 5ths by the guitarist.

Well, you have to get my criteria here. Like, many people might think e.g. Lemmy couldn't sing. But he was a great shouter and brilliant at shouting in tune, as it were. I also think Ozzy could sing well - more tuneful than Lemmy.

Also it's a timbre thing. Verlaine doesn't know whether to talk it like Lou Reed, sing it like Patti Smith or yell it Joey Ramone. Joey always had a tune to sing, Patti had the sass, and Lou - against all the odds - managed to convince. Verlaine has just always annoyed me.

Howling Terror wrote:
Sounds good where I'm sitting and a couple of Fenders played without distorton will never have the weight you want.

I genuinely find it painful - and not in a good way. As in, I can listen to the first (Creation) MBV LP and love it to bits - so it's not like I'm averse to proper horrible sounds.

Why couldn't they put those fenders on the neck pick up? It's not like you can't get a lovely tone out of a single coil - listen to Hugh Cornwell's Tele on the first few stranglers LPs. It's pretty clean and doesn't have that piss thin thing going on.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

A mate of mine once complained to me that Slash was "too pentatonic". Whilst I know what he meant, I told him that sometimes that's all I wanted. We were talking about a G'n'R covers band*.

Quote:
a couple of Fenders played without distorton will never have the weight you want.

Depends on the music type, the artist, the mood.

*Funny thing was, he, like me, played mostly blues!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have that feeling of missing out that I have with certain bands and genres. I'm told Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust are masterpieces.
My peers, and the huge wordcount surrounding these albums tells me they are. My copy of Hunky Dory sits on the 2nd shelf down waiting in vain for me to like it (which did happen with Public Enemy).

For me it's frustrating<<< dependant on mood can be exchanged for jealous.... to not get a kick from Opera...I mean it's a genre so massive and popular that they make buildings to house it. I've got my Nan's old records..but those boxsets go unplayed....Madam Butterfly [shudders]
Don't like musicals either...even the one's by Mel Brooks.
Musicals....Vom!

We'll agree to disagree on this one t s-c-g.

Aye, I was generalising too much about Fenders. I retract.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm easier about it all than that. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.

I'm with you on opera and musicals. Although with opera, it's just the singing I don't like - I have my favourite classical/orchestral music.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through a rather sad nostalgia trip to my youth so currently listening to Crash by Dave Matthews Band.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IsOgviWSL._SS500.jpg

All out life - Slipknot's new single.

It's pretty good, hopefully its indicative of whats coming on their new album. They mentioned that their new album would return to IOWA levels of heavy.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

A mate of mine once complained to me that Slash was "too pentatonic".

I would've said yes he's too pentatonic - and he's STILL shit. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

A mate of mine once complained to me that Slash was "too pentatonic".

I would've said yes he's too pentatonic - and he's STILL shit. Laughing

Well, now I'm gonna give you something to put in the "grinds my gears" thread, since you seem to care - I like Slash's music Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And speaking of pentatonic, got this on:

https://img.discogs.com/szgAsXflwVGJtSl6_gAqFYpPe24=/fit-in/600x430/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1912691-1414327087-2553.jpeg.jpg

Mr. Green

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey You
Pink Floyd
Cool

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Hey You
Pink Floyd
Cool

Now I am too. Thumbs Up

:spliffemoji:

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:08 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke's Travels / Duke's End from Duke

Revisiting Genesis albums after going t see a couple of tribute bands

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAO0ib8a0dU

Never ceases to amaze me how good Plant's impression of Sonny Boy Williamson (II) is on this.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brill and Bonkers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsImaH9WwAI8HZE.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan Lake
Ska version, live

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83.

Volume 4.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsdV-gZXcAQifTn.jpg
It's the same as 1,2 and 3 but different.

Love it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libiamo (The Drinking Song, Verdi) aka Brindisi.

[ridiculously miniscule clicky Arrow]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd3czkpbQUibmKjgKmz82J_9yN6ptZOBuhGBoHLKx7Kpn5vHAd] too stoned to work out the proper code

I am making a playlist for our Office Christmas Soiree (amongst which I hope there to be several GPs with whom I look forward to making their acquaintence) so its a bit of a nightmare trying to find stuff that will not freak everyone out, but not be totally boring, giving us the required sleek and well-padded demeanour, but with a slightly raffish reputation.

So I am trying to PROPERLY learn the Italian words to Libiamo, and its fortunately not as difficult to sing as I thought.

But I hope I'm not going to get too pissed and overdo the dramatic hand gestures.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questionable lyrics - Yep.
Essence of Nick Cave - Aye.
Whiff of Butch Vig - Confirmed.

Has to be Killdozer.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtBYLUZWkAAuTLn.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtBYLUcWkAEiW24.jpg

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My musical tastes are far less sophisticated than most people here and im still on my nostalgia trip so currently:

I'll niƱo - If you still hate me.

From circa 2001.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Page 136 of 199