Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Confidence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Badger722
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:53 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Confidence Reply with quote

hi all

Just looking for a little advice i got my bike six months ago and i've come off twice, once on a round about (oil slick in the wet) and the second time coming around a corner and the tires slipped out from underneath me. No mager damage done other than my confidence in cornering, any one else had some shakey moments when starting out and how did you start to feel more comfortable again?
____________________
bike: YBR custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:20 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Re: Confidence Reply with quote

Badger722 wrote:
any one else had some shakey moments when starting out and how did you start to feel more comfortable again?


I would guess that nearly everyone has had an off atleast once.

I had my 1st when i was pissing about on the 125 on some grass while waiting for mates.

I grabbed a load of front brake and hit the deck. Was funny as fuk Very Happy
Had to ride 30miles home with bent handle bars Very Happy

2nd was 3hrs after selling the zxr400 and buying the cbr600.

went straight through a hedge.

And again, it was funny as fuck.

3rd, back wheel lost it on ice @ 5mph
not so funny, but still a bit funny.

In my eyes, unless you are seriously hurt or your bike is buggered it will always be funny as fuck.

Laff it off dude, its all fun n games - shits and giggles at the end of the day Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Badger722
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:44 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see i'm not the only one stupid S%^% happens to Thumbs Up
i rode to work with no front break lever snapped clean off kept things interesting Laughing
____________________
bike: YBR custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:27 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of spills on the GZ125, two of which were definately my fault.

One was going too quickly around a roundabout in the wet resulting in a nice slide along the tarmac, the other was a car pulling into my lane that I really should've (and could've) seen earlier. Went through a large puddle instead, grabbed a handful of front brake and lowsided. Confidence severely dented, it took me a few months to get back to leaning the bike over properly and to stop being a giant wuss.

Got a few hours tuition from the guy who would later get me through my test and I was spill free for a year until a Polish minicab driver in a Honda Accord took me out from the right side.

Keep at it, you'll improve in time and your confidence will return before you know it. Crashes happen to us all, it's a matter of time and how much karma you've accumulated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody falls off. Its just the way it is and its an accepted. I've been off 3 times on my 125. Twice all by myself once I had help.

The first time was a wet day in the center of Belfast during rush hour traffic. Guy 2 cars in front for some reason slammed his brakes on causing the guy in front to slam his on and of course I had to then slam mine on. I learnt an important lesson. Rain and greasy roads + front brake = oopsie!

Second time and 3rd time was sheer stupidity. Driving into the car park of the flats I hit a bit of moss and the front wheel went from under me and driving out of a country park up a steep hill target fixation caused the back wheel to hit a rut I was trying to miss and off I came.

Does take a little while to get the confidence back but as Cansa says. Providing your not seriously injured then take it on the chin and laugh it off.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building up confidence just takes time and make sure it's on roads you know. Thumbs Up Everytime I go out I go a little bit faster and a little more leaned over in the corners.
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson_JV wrote:
Building up confidence just takes time and make sure it's on roads you know. Thumbs Up Everytime I go out I go a little bit faster and a little more leaned over in the corners.


Benson has now managed 37.5mph. He's doing well, bless him. Laughing
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Highside_Hilly
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Re: Confidence Reply with quote

Badger722 wrote:
hi all

Just looking for a little advice i got my bike six months ago and i've come off twice, once on a round about (oil slick in the wet) and the second time coming around a corner and the tires slipped out from underneath me. No mager damage done other than my confidence in cornering, any one else had some shakey moments when starting out and how did you start to feel more comfortable again?


Yeah, I learnt the hard way on my 125 too, I was a total plank and deserved it TBH - I definatley learnt a lesson from it. CBF needed servicing, no worries thinks I, only a mile down the road so I won't bother with the kit. Yeh - it happens. Turn right at some lights, not really sure what happened, felt the handlebars wobble all over the place and off I went down the road. Scrapped all my knees away, and my arms. I was a complete tw*t, and have always worn my kit since.

In the year and a half of riding, that's the only time I dropped it - The accident in october wasnt my fault. You really shouldnt let it knock your confidence though, take it as a lesson learnt the hardway. Thumbs Up
____________________
2008 CBF125 [Sold] >>> 2003 SV650s [Killed] >>> 2002 CB500/'98 748 >>> 1998 GSXR600 >>> 2009 Street Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Benson_JV wrote:
Building up confidence just takes time and make sure it's on roads you know. Thumbs Up Everytime I go out I go a little bit faster and a little more leaned over in the corners.


Benson has now managed 37.5mph. He's doing well, bless him. Laughing


Bah! More like 67.5mph Laughing
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell off my 350 on a mini roundabout 6 days after i bought it Sad
Turned out to be the rear shocks were leaking on my tyre, so it just slid away Laughing
For about 2 months after that i could not corner at all! I just used to tense up and end up going stupidly wide Shocked

I'll have to say, the thing that helped me was going to wales with my uncle and his mates, and aberystwyth with some of the BCF crew actually. I found myself thinking "are you really going into that corner at that speed! Oh god you are!" But following their line i started to gain more and more confidence. now it all kinda just flows which is good Very Happy

Just keep practicing and you'll get there Thumbs Up
____________________
First bike: 1982 Suzuki Gs 125 'The beast MK1' Wink > 1988 Honda Cb 350's' FOR SPORT! (Good ol' oil burner!) > 2001 Suzuki Sv 650 's' Made it out of the 80's! > 1997 Honda Cbr 600f :p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_scott92 wrote:
I fell off my 350 on a mini roundabout 6 days after i bought it Sad
Turned out to be the rear shocks were leaking on my tyre, so it just slid away Laughing
For about 2 months after that i could not corner at all! I just used to tense up and end up going stupidly wide Shocked

I'll have to say, the thing that helped me was going to wales with my uncle and his mates, and aberystwyth with some of the BCF crew actually. I found myself thinking "are you really going into that corner at that speed! Oh god you are!" But following their line i started to gain more and more confidence. now it all kinda just flows which is good Very Happy

Just keep practicing and you'll get there Thumbs Up


This. This. This a thousand times.

Having mates that had been riding for 18 months longer than me really helped. Followed these guys everywhere, still do. Learnt how to corner by watching the line the other three took and their body positioning, suddenly countersteering made sense and everything just kinda fell into place.

Watch how your mates ride, and think "what do I do differently?". Even better, record your rides. Look at them the next day and cringe as you spot silly mistakes you made.

Every little helps Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

although i wouldn't reccomend following someone elses line all the time, just starting out i mean.
Just use them as some guidence to get you into the swing of it Wink That way you can start figuring out WHY they're taking that line, not just following like a sheep Laughing
Suppose it depends on who the other rider is aswell, and how much you trust them Thumbs Up
____________________
First bike: 1982 Suzuki Gs 125 'The beast MK1' Wink > 1988 Honda Cb 350's' FOR SPORT! (Good ol' oil burner!) > 2001 Suzuki Sv 650 's' Made it out of the 80's! > 1997 Honda Cbr 600f :p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought that being "confident" on a bike would mean choosing your own speed and approach for a bend, rather than trusting your life to someone else's judgement. Confused
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd have thought that being "confident" on a bike would mean choosing your own speed and approach for a bend, rather than trusting your life to someone else's judgement. Confused


But if you're a pansy (like myself) who took every corner as slow as he could, the only thing that made me think "I can do that better" was watching how my mates did it. All of them have more experience than me, and I trust their judgement as they are all good riders in my mind. Not perfect, but better than me and I have learnt, and will learn a lot from them.

If you don't trust your mates, don't do the above Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have even toppled over on my bike at no speed with mud on the tyres, on a slope which had loose gravel on it, a couple of years ago, and I've been riding for MANY MANY MANY years.

It happens to the best of us!!! Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I have even toppled over without my bike after a night of shots


Edited for fun Thumbs Up
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save up about 50 quid and book a few hours with an advanced rider.
Your mates may have good road positioning and cornering ability..they may even have a 2 way radio, but very few will be able to translate exactly what you should be doing and why. Do your homework and find a good one.

I don't lose confidence when i fall off...i assess(try and learn) and get back on soon as. The day i lose confidence is the day i hang up my leathers (stubborn/foolish).

[edit] I managed to track down the bloke who did my CBT as i liked his attitude. He confirmed a few things for me and gave me some advice. Ok it cost me to find out what i already knew....but i'm alot happier now.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project


Last edited by Howling TerrorOutOfOffice on 22:28 - 07 Feb 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bootsbiker
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came of last year on my way to the MOT station on the Gizer... Was a new back tire... exiting a round about.. not use to the power..

I just had plaster removed from my arm from another crash and it was my 1st go on the bike..

edit
____________________
https://justfuckinggoogleit.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
lol falling off is part of riding the bike

Err... I think I'll pick you up on a point of symantics there Robb....
If you fall off..... you're NOT riding the bike!
Although, Hmmm comment on 2T post, where I mention falling down a cliff during a trial on the Cota.
I know I was FALLING... and I was upside down, with the wheels in the air....
But with the bike on top of me, and still clutching the bars.... was I still RIDING it?!?!
[shakes head pondering an imponderable! & Carries on]

Not so sure that telling a newbie who's fallen off, that falling off is all part of the persuit, or that its 'fun', when they are looking for confidence is a great idea, to be honest....

Likely to get the impression that if falling off is something to be expected, and something we laugh about.... whilst rubbing his bruises, as like to start tinking "Well, you can sod THAT for a lark! I'm going to get a car!"

So, no falling off isn't allpart and parcell of the persuit, its simply one of the many risks we face, and something we would normally try to avoid doing, but.... shit happens! As long as we walk away, well we can look back at it and, when the bruises have gone down, and we cant remember exactly how much it hurt... have a laugh about it, and how foolish we were, or whatever.

And, to be honest, quite possible to have a long and illustriouse riding career and NOT fall off.... I have been riding for thirty something years, and I can honestly say, that I have NOT fallen off a motorcycle on the public highway for at least..... one, two... three? no two MONTHS! Hang on. No! That was on my drive! Dont count. THERE we go! Five years! Thats more like it!

No, I have fallen off an AWFUL lot. I've been riding trials since I was a school boy, and well, I'm probably not that good at it, becouse I still fall off! But, its very much more the natire of the game in competition where you are testing the limits and pushing the envelope, but in a controlled enviroment to minimise the risks or consequences.

On the road.... yup, I've had a 'few', and in accordance with the stats, they were mainly in my first three years regular road riding, when, just like learning to ride your first push-bike without stabilisers, you just have to expect that lack of experience you are going to have few bumps and grazes, but hopefully no major injury from them.

Last twenty years, only time I have fell off a bike has peen putting it on a side stand! Tricky buuggers them side stands you know! So happens to the best of us, even well practiced and experienced riders can fall off!

In you case, first one, probably diesel spill on the roundabout.... its a classic, and you have just learned a very valuable lesson..... you get diesel spills on roundabouts, and its slippy, and even more slippy if its been wet or raining! Dosn't have to make you fall off, you just have to know that theres a very big risk on roundabouts, so, you keep look for rainbow paterns on teh surface, and you dont go into them hot n the brakes of chuck the bike over hard, to tackle it smooth and gentle, and ride for traction.

No 'obviouse reason for the second one. Tyres dont tend to just step out from under you for no reason, but I have a suspicion it was probably a slower, tighter corner, and at a GUESS you probably weren't going fast enough..... sounds perverse, but that kind of 'flips out' usually comes from a corner which is quite tight, so you have gone in, braked, braked, tipped in, corners tight, so you have leaned and steered, and the bike hasn't felt tlike its going round teh corner, so you have leaned and steered a bit more, and possibly braked or at least not accelerated, and in a tiz of struggling to get the bike to go that tight simply leaned too far and fallen off teh edge of the tyre.... Going a bit quicker, there would have been some extra centrifugal force to hold you up.

And a better 'aproach' to the corner, and using the throttle to pull you out of it, rather than extending the 'teeter point' between braking into the bend and acceleratng out, could as likely as not have seen you through..... which is a PURE confidence fall, if thats what happened, or close enough.

Did you have a panic moment before it flipped out, or were you worrying about not making it round? May be a bit of 'fixation' in there as well... big cause of falls, that one.... BUT....

Relax. Riding is supposed to be FUN. Loose grip on the bars, remember what they told you in CBT...

On the road, keep your wits about you, DONT PANIC, and just let it flow, and nine times out of ten, bike will go where its supposed to.

Dont dither or get flustered, be considered and confident, in what you DO, even if you are NOT confident its the 'right' thing to do. Old military addage, better to make the wrong decission than no decission, and it works well on bikes. Faffing about indecicively, is ALWAYS the wrong thing to do, so doing something possitively is FAR more likely to be 'good'.

And remember, we do this becouse we enjoy it, its supposed to be fun. Pick and choose the times to ride when you can enjoy it, dont put yourself under pressure or in possitions where you are likely to be out of your comfort zone... thats not to say dont challenge yourself or try harder... just you dont HAVE to do anything you aren't comfortable with, expand your horizons at your own rate, and dont pout yourself under any unnecessary pressure or at any greater risk than you have to or are comfortable with.

Relax, be decicive, be descerning, and enjoy!

Oh.. riding with mates is a double edges sword. Often pressure to 'keep up' or to go more quickly than you are comfortable.

And other peoples lines may work for other people, but YOU are not them, and you are not on their bike! And they might NOT actually be that great a rider, or doing it all that well!

Snowie is a good example of this, her cornering is all over the place. She's got a very good inate sense of balence and control, and a feel for the bike. Out in the snow, I was following her and she had the tail of the Super-Dream skittering on her, and she just rode through it, like a pro, barely backing off the throttle one bit....

Clear, dry, sunny day, NSL road, with a good surface, no traffic, good lines of sight, corner comes up, and it all goes to pot, and she picked the bike up about three times to find a line, teetered on the throttle and off it again, and eventually wobbles out like a twenty minute newbie on CBT! Ten minutes before, she'd howled through a round-about like a lunatic!

Reason? following her ex about. Complete squid. That was how he rode. Main road, he'd go through a roundabout without a care, becouse it was almost a straight line, but tackling a corner on a fast road... no, hard on the brakes into the corner, totter round, then squid it out the other side... He didn't have confidence in corners, and riding a big bike, roundabouts, he'd take the lazy line, becouse hauling a big bike up from speed takes effort, annd riding ROUND means leaning..... country road, corners, he HAD to go round, so he'd over brake into them, totter round, then use the bikes grunt to pick his speed back up.... and THAT what Snowie learned was the way 'experienced' riders rode, so THAT was the way she did it!

Riding with others IS a good way to gain confidence and get better..... but you wont always know what they are doing is right or wrong, good or bad, or just different, or WHY its different.

Lines I take on a dirt bike are very different to the ones I take on a street-bike. Way I set up a street-bike for a corner, a lot different t setting up a sports-bike...... and without something to EXPLAIN what other people are doing, just copy-cating them, can be less than no help at all.....

Which is where formal TRAINING is useful, becouse it does put you out there with some-one that should be a good rider, but more can show you what YOU should be doing, AND explain it to you.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I said that Smile

...and 2 stroke chainsaws run upside down ok. Not indefinitely tho.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nokiakeys
Token



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Re: Confidence Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
3rd, back wheel lost it on ice @ 5mph
not so funny, but still a bit funny

This happened to me in december with all the dam snow and ice.
Entered a roundabout and what you know, black f-ing ice.
Next thing I know my arse is on the floor while bike is ice staking down the road... just lucky it stopped before it came to the down hill slop.

My cornering confidence was hit a little, but as it's getting warmer I'm slowly getting it back Thumbs Up

Don't worry dude, you'll be fine
____________________
CBT: 04/2010 -> Theory: 09/2010 -> MOD1 & 2: 10/2010 (That's right baby, both on same day)
Honda CBF125 -> Honda CB600FS Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tahrey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegedly until you've had an off, you're not a "proper rider" is what I've been told a few times...

Certainly you haven't fully figured out where the limits actually are, you haven't had the chastisement of said comeuppance for exceeding them, and you haven't had the fun experience of lifting the bike's deadweight off the deck and then finding out what needs repaired Smile

Could be that your cornering confidence was a bit TOO high, so if you now take things a leeeetle easier you're nowhere near as likely to have a third spill! (Oh and look out for those killer rainbow patches).

I think I'm a bit too far in the other direction, often feels like I'm cornering far too slowly, but I won't know if that's false until such point as I actually do overcook it and come off (all I've had so far is not leaving enough braking (thinking?) distance on a wet road, and failure to properly hold a tank slapper on a snowy dual carriageway because I was too preoccupied screaming abuse at the person who caused me to swerve and welly the rear brake in the first place). I think my protective instincts are still working in pushbike mode a lot of the time!

Don't worry too much, just concentrate on not repeating whatever caused you to come off. Fill up the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty and all that.

Nokiakeys: hope the fear fades sometime soon... riding on snow + ice proved to really be something else, you need a whole different technique and such an incredibly light touch, and I count myself incredibly lucky that I was on 4 wheels the day the black ice descended. Perfectly ordinary looking road surface being almost impossible to even stand up on, not fun.
Now we're occasionally seeing temperatures in the double figures you can relax a bit. Personally, I just can't wait until we finally get two bone-dry days on the trot, because all this lingering dampness is really getting me down... brings the oil to the surface and exacerbates the way all the rust is winning the war of salt vs incessant scrubbing-off...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 151.89 Kb