Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you know if base gasket leaking on 2 stroke liquid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kneedown
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: How do you know if base gasket leaking on 2 stroke liquid Reply with quote

Hello guys
Wanted to know if anyone would know how to tell if the base gasket is leaking on a single cylinder 2 stroke liquid cooled bike.

Couldn't get a base gasket so made one, bike seems fine but plug seems a little wet but starts and runs fine.

just wanted to know what to look out for if the base gasket was leaking what could I expect cheers guys
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a compression test Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it not? I was under the impression any slight airleak in the base gasket would lower compression.

My mistake. As you were Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. I'm being a bit thick Laughing

It's all this sitting at work malarkey making me crazy Thumbs Up

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean leaking cooling fluid.

Two options either you sump oil will turn really milky as the coolant leaks in there, or you will see wet patches round the outside of the cylinder.

Oh and the coolant level will drop in the radiator/expansion tank

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:07 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base gasket seals between the crankcase and the outside world.

If it was leaking, you'd see runny black petrol/oil mixture oozing round the join between the barrel and the cankcase. If the join is clean, it's not leaking.

kneedown
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for replies guys, to be honest my biggest concern is that coolant is leaking into the crankcase from the head seemed like a small amount of liquid was coming from exhaust but may just be paranoia and condensation

kneedown
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for replies guys, to be honest my biggest concern is that coolant is leaking into the crankcase from the head seemed like a small amount of liquid was coming from exhaust but may just be paranoia and condensation

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:41 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that always used to be recommended and you don't hear so much these days is to re-torque the cylinder head nuts at 5, 50 and 500 miles post fitting. Gaskets squash and heads settle after a few heat cycles which can leave them loose.

I just did the ones on my Enfield. They were done up to 24ft/lb when I fitted the head. Five (probably nearer 10 the truth be told) miles later, I went to torque them up (in two stages, 15ft/lb then 24ft/lb). Two of them took a bit of a turn to get them up to 15. All of them needed tightening to 24.

A slight pain in the backside taking the tank and rocker covers off having only recently put them back on again but it definately needed doing.

It may be an older bike design, but the gaskets are made of exactly the same stuff as a modern bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1