Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Valve Clearances

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Valve Clearances Reply with quote

OK, it's time for the valve clearances to be done on the V Raptor (12000 miles) and I have absolutly no idea how to go about doing them.
So any pointers to how to go about doing this would be greatfully accepted, and any offers of assistance will be accepted and welcomed with beer and food! Very Happy Cool
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help! Very Happy

I have no idea what to do but I will however come to assist. So when do I get my beer and food?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

RTFM.

No sure but I suspect they are shimmed valves (especially if they are a 12000 mile service item). As such you need to measure the clearances, then remove the old shims (may require removing the cams) and measure them (or cheat and just read the size marked on them), work out the size of shim you now need and order it from Suzuki.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds like a very complicated thing to be doing Confused
Oh, Shaun - the beer and food are available as soon as you come down and help do them Very Happy
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not simple, but not really complicated. More time consuming, especially if it takes the shims a while to arrive.

On the FZ (20 valve engine) I chickened out and got someone else to do it for me.

Also if it is shimmed (reasonably likely) then the clearances normally tighten up so the engine gets quieter (until it burns out a valve).

Also they rarely do need adjusting. My FZ was done at 65000 miles. It should have been done at 28000 miles (OK, 19 out of the 20 were out of range, including a few with zero clearance).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: valve Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
As such you need to measure the clearances


to do this you need to take the cover off the top of the cams, about 8 bolts on my. and then using Feeler gauge (thin ass bits of metal with numbers on) then by rotating the engine measure the maximum gap you can get with be specifies in the manual what the tolerances are.

If you do this and none are out of tolerance then thats it, put it back together Smile

OR then carry on and change the shims like kickstart said.

well thats how i did it on my bike. No one have a haynes manual any more Rolling Eyes
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a Haynes manual I wouldn't be asking Rolling Eyes
Unfortunately they don't do one for the V Raptor, although I am seriously considering getting a TL1000 one just for the engine Confused
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You find a manual - we'll buy it Rolling Eyes Laughing

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

RTFM.

Keith

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doors always open at the hippys - came home the other day and there were 10 people in my house - 2 of whoom I have never met before! Laughing

Shaun wrote:
I'll help! Very Happy

I have no idea what to do but I will however come to assist. So when do I get my beer and food?

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 20 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsHippy wrote:
You find a manual - we'll buy it Rolling Eyes Laughing

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

RTFM.

Keith


arrrr thats what RTFM mean got it now hehehehhe, i would come and help and then i would even bring ya max payne 2 Wink but as always i bet y'all bloody miles away.

Sure some one ( know its going to end up coming back to me on this one) could scan the pages on valve clearance checking.
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're only about 2 hours away Cool
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen if there's a Factory Service manual available? You'll probably be looking at £30 - £50 for one, unless you can find someone to photocopy one from. Shop around though, by ringing various different parts places I've managed to get one for £25 rather than the £50 everyone else was charging.

Suspect it's going to be a bit more complicated to get one because it's a Cagiva, and then there's the wait for it to arrive Confused.

Would offer some help, but I've never touched valves before, so couldn't off anything usefull. Might be interesting to watch though Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would offer some help, but I've never touched valves before, so couldn't off anything usefull. Might be interesting to watch though .

I'm in the same situation Confused I've been thinking about getting in touch with the mechanic at the Cagiva garage near me and see if he wants some cash in hand for showing me how to do it! Smile
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Worth keeping an eye open for a Cagiva manual, maybe on Ebay. The Cagiva manuals are quite good, better than Yamaha and probably better than Honda really. Also they use line drawings so they photocopy rather well Wink .

For the engine just get a Haynes TL1000 manual.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: manual Reply with quote

i will try and scan 2morow( might take pictuer of it easyer Confused ) my manual it shouldnt be any differnt for v twin (well apart from where they are). and realy isnt that difficult. i am going north up A1/M1 between xmas and new year you all up that way arnt ya?

you still will need to find out the tollerances though??

(cough ed2k://|file|Werkstatthandbuch_TL1000_S_97_98_99.PDF|164748429|5F14DF7F499D144621A22F1A8F4D15D7|/
cough) might help but 179meg and very few people have it, got a slight inclination its not english Rolling Eyes

ps dont know if its ok to link like that can take if off or just kill it korn if problem
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 21 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: manual Reply with quote

Smoto Bob wrote:
i will try and scan 2morow( might take pictuer of it easyer Confused ) my manual it shouldnt be any differnt for v twin (well apart from where they are). and realy isnt that difficult. i am going north up A1/M1 between xmas and new year you all up that way arnt ya?

Cool, I'll have a look at anything you have.
As for where we are, last time I looked, Chippenham was junction 17 of the M4 - definitely not even vaguely north. Laughing
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: manual Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:

As for where we are, last time I looked, Chippenham was junction 17 of the M4 - definitely not even vaguely north. Laughing


heheh yer sense of direction isnt one of my strong points LOL
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 100.09 Kb