Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone know anything about car stereos?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:24 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Anyone know anything about car stereos? Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a new stereo for my car.

I know how to fit the stereo, no problems there.

But, what should I buy.

Everything I own these days seems to be digital, I would still want to play the odd cd. Not fussed for ipod connectivity, I suppose I am looking for something with DAB and a USB socket.

Now my other question, are the usb sockets far in to the unit? as not to jump out? Otherwise I suppose sd would be okay.

MY other question is, how long does it take the unit on startup to scan the usb/sd before playback can commence.

Looking up to £150.


Anyone?
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAB isn't a must right now as I don't think they switch the analogue signal off until 2015 if that helps.

Bluetooth is handy if your phone streams music. Smile

USB sticks can get on the way whilst driving so a short stick could be useful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find one with a usb port in the rear, and you can have a hard drive in the glove box with all your songs on and neatly tucked away Smile
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has the lot Shocked :

https://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=usb+and+cd+car+stereo&cp=21&wrapid=tljp1297073500027039&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13145734936529654282&ei=Z8VPTZWXA82BhQfK-N3HDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAw#
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We use a JVC unit that takes a CD or DVD and will play MP3s. So you can put in a DVD full of MP3s and then pretty much ignore it.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has an AV-in jack, but my MP3 players runs off an internal battery so the setup isn't ideal, plus the cable gets in the way. Bro has a USB port in the front of his which is perfect.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine still plays cassettes Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a JVC one too.

The USB pen drive doesn't interfere with anything at all.

If the idea of a pen drive sticking out bothers you then you could get a unit that takes SD cards.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel


Last edited by panrider_uk on 14:19 - 07 Feb 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts so far.

One thing I have just found.

Is that DAB radios require a different aerial. Now my car has an analogue aerial on top already. I don't know if I like the idea of my car having 2 aerials.

Also, what I thought would be a simple job to fit, is now seemingly difficult.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

Also, what I thought would be a simple job to fit, is now seemingly difficult.


Why? Be specific.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

Is that DAB radios require a different aerial. Now my car has an analogue aerial on top already. I don't know if I like the idea of my car having 2 aerials.


The DAB aerial is generally mounted inside the car against a window.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
kawakid wrote:

Also, what I thought would be a simple job to fit, is now seemingly difficult.


Why? Be specific.


I was thinking the aerial needed to go on the roof and how I could get a wire up through all the trim, then drill a hole and mount
the aerial.

defblade wrote:
kawakid wrote:

Is that DAB radios require a different aerial. Now my car has an analogue aerial on top already. I don't know if I like the idea of my car having 2 aerials.


The DAB aerial is generally mounted inside the car against a window.


On further looking the ones I have seen do not support cars with heated front windscreens. Think I'll forget DAB.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.16 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 74.1 Kb