Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Any decent sub £100 eBook readers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 08 Feb 2011    Post subject: Any decent sub £100 eBook readers? Reply with quote

As title, I'm after an ebook reader, preferably one that uses e-ink, and has wi-fi and even better would like one for less than £100 Smile

I've been considering getting a Kindle, even though they are over £100 (but no by much) but just wondering if anyone here has used any others that they would recommend?
I've googled a few but personal views on some would be a great addition to online reviews!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 08 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gf has a kindle, it's very good.

Not tried any others, but I wouldn't hesitate recommending the kindle. £111 at the moment.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 08 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Kindle is very likely, just looking for views on others before I actually buy. Just waiting to be paid the £186 that work owe me (they somehow missed it off my pay this month...) then buying some ebook reader or another.

Had been using an old Windows Mobile 5 PDA but I dropped it last night and it's now dead Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 08 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tired them all out in PC world. The kindle is by far the best for actually reading off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 08 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value for money the Kindle is the best at £111

The Sony models use the same Pearl e-ink screens but are touch screen and are metal construction.

I like the Sony PRS-350 (5") because of the small size of it.

I bought my sister the Kindle for Christmas and its got some nice features.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a book. Charity shops are full of them for much less than £100.

You're all going to look silly when you fall for digital toilet paper and I'm still using the three sea shells.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how to use the shells?

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
You know how to use the shells?

Mark


Of course not, he just swears quietly in the cubicle until he's got enough paper.

Back on topic - the Kindle is quite a nice wee beastie, personally I'm on the lookout for a Nook Colour. It's not an e-ink screen (obviously) but after a few tweaks it makes a very competent tablet and pleasant enough e-reader.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisw
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can wait a few months:

https://noteslate.com/

It's on my Christmas list Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My frustration with Kindle is that it's not touch sensitive. I don't know how my brain has been programmed so quickly to stab at buttons I see on the screen, but nonetheless, stab I do. Then berate myself with a swearword, loudly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 09 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
My frustration with Kindle is that it's not touch sensitive. I don't know how my brain has been programmed so quickly to stab at buttons I see on the screen, but nonetheless, stab I do. Then berate myself with a swearword, loudly.


Yeah i had a shot of one to take photos of a leather case, i did not get the point of the keyboard, i kept trying to touch the screen.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well bought a Kindle today, should arrive tomorrow.
I decided to pay the extra £40 and get the 3g version, it'll be handy for checking mail when on hols etc. I hadn't realised the 3g stuff was free..thought you had to pay for it all Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only old fart left that doesnt like these Ebook thingys. I'd much rather hold onto a real book as opposed to a PC tablet one.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 10 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Am I the only old fart left that doesnt like these Ebook thingys. I'd much rather hold onto a real book as opposed to a PC tablet one.


I love books. Something of a bibliophile given there are around a thousand here and three or four times that in storage. Been known to spend entire days ferreting around in historical archives and second hand book shops (Hay on Wye ftw!). I love books.

However I also love reading and being able to carry a small library around in something the size of a paperback is useful.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Am I the only old fart left that doesnt like these Ebook thingys. I'd much rather hold onto a real book as opposed to a PC tablet one.

I like proper books too, just I no longer have the space to store anymore and I like to keep them as I do like to read books again sometimes.
This being the case eBooks are now ideal for me. That reminds me, I need to clear out my locker at work..I think I have a small library in there :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisw wrote:
If you can wait a few months:

https://noteslate.com/

It's on my Christmas list Thumbs Up


Awesome
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindle arrived today, it's well worth the cash. Lovely display and the free 3g internet is going to be handy, limited as it is it's still going to be useful for email on the move etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
chrisw wrote:
If you can wait a few months:

https://noteslate.com/

It's on my Christmas list Thumbs Up


Awesome


A bit big for carrying around everywhere though

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

True but same size as a4, so rather than carrying a pad of paper round, carry that. Simples.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisw
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
True but same size as a4, so rather than carrying a pad of paper round, carry that. Simples.


Yep, at work I always have an A4 notepad with me and get through a fair few through the year.
Referring to them often and carrying them around means they fall apart as well. The ability to draw free-hand onto something that can save the page and, if needed can then be downloaded onto a machine would/will be really, really useful.
Being able to read PDFs would be fantastic for making notes on technical manuals! I really hope this device appears! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

asharin wrote:
Well bought a Kindle today, should arrive tomorrow.
I decided to pay the extra £40 and get the 3g version, it'll be handy for checking mail when on hols etc. I hadn't realised the 3g stuff was free..thought you had to pay for it all Smile


Whats the deal with the free 3g ?

Do you mean that you still have to get a phone sim card from a 3g supported phone network and pay their monthly charge, or do you mean that its literally free to use the kindle as a web browser no monthly charges ?

Or is the 3G for the kindle just for downloading books you buy ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 11 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3G is intended just for downloading the books you buy, although there is an experimental web browser installed by default that works quite well.

The 3G is free, worldwide. The SIM card is embedded in the device.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 112.42 Kb