Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Eurovision - Why do they sing in English ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Eurovision - Why do they sing in English ? Reply with quote

Just watching some Eurovision thing on TV, and noticed that lots (almost all) countries sing in English ?

Why is this ?

Surely it would be much easier for them to sing in their national tounge. I know how difficult it is to learn a new language, so fuck trying to sing in it.

Additionally (after a wee quick Wikipedia check), it says that most people (18% of Europe) speak German, so wouldnt it be better to sing in German - as this would widen up their song to a bigger market niche?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because English is spoken by loads of people and if you ever go abroad, you still hear British/American music being played.

I reckon more people speak English than German on average per country.

There is no need for a market niche as this isn't business studies, this is Eurovision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

most Euro schools English is taught as a second language
as to German yes 18% will speak German but almost all of them will have English as a second language as well

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: Eurovision - Why do they sing in English ? Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
Additionally (after a wee quick Wikipedia check), it says that most people (18% of Europe) speak German, so wouldnt it be better to sing in German - as this would widen up their song to a bigger market niche?

https://www.rathergood.com/laibach [/url]

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because English is the language God speaks obviously, stands to reason, the bible's written in it, which proves it even further.

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:45 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ what he said +1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

^^ what he said +1

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

^^ what he said +1

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

vv what he said -1

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is the most spoken Language in the euro at 51% (both native and second language) followed by German at 32% and then French at 26%

English is also a internationaly considered the primary language for most global organszations that interact internationaly with others.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Because English is the language God speaks obviously, stands to reason, the bible's written in it, which proves it even further.

Old Testament was originally Hebrew, and the New Testament was originally written in Greek.

However English is the best language in the fucking world! That's why they sing in it!

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The View Askew wrote:

Old Testament was originally Hebrew, and the New Testament was originally written in Greek.
If that was true, why did Moses have an american accent in the film?

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because he gets down like that.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:48 - 17 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

also all pilots internationally must speak english,

its funny when you go to countries in europe, 2 tourists from different countries will talk to each other in english even if its not the 1st language of either (provided the first language is different from each other) and normally even if they both speak german, or even if 1 of them is german Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:53 - 17 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is the lingua franca of the globe. After all, most of 'em have had to learn to say "I surrender" at one time or another.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 17 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
English is the lingua franca of the globe. After all, most of 'em have had to learn to say "I surrender" at one time or another.
Oddly, that's the one phrase I would've thought that all nations had heard in french.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: Eurovision - Why do they sing in English ? Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
Just watching some Eurovision thing on TV, and noticed that lots (almost all) countries sing in English ?

Why is this ?

Surely it would be much easier for them to sing in their national tounge. I know how difficult it is to learn a new language, so fuck trying to sing in it.

Actually, only the Brits seem to struggle learning new languages, for us continentals it's relatively easy.

When I was a wee nipper, you had to sing in your native language in the contest, but it was changed, as it was felt that it gave certain countries whose language was shared by other countries an advantage. I preferred it then, it was much more exotic and it was interesting to hear how other languages sounded. Now it's much too samey and boring.

Maybe I'm just (getting) old. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1