Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone done the London to Brighton bike ride?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:48 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Anyone done the London to Brighton bike ride? Reply with quote

I'm going to be trying to register a team on Saturday morning for this to raise some money for the BHF after a mate of mine died from a heart attack last year.

Has anyone done it before? How gruelling is it for a riding noob?

My arse hurts thinking about it.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard from others the most gruelling part of it is the fact it is absolutely packed, and therefore painfully slow.

There are tons and tons of better, more gruelling rides to do to raise money. London to Brighton is something I'd never do.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:26 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it when I was 17.

It isn't too bad, I did no real training and completed it, If you can cycle 20 miles you can cycle the 54miles to Brighton. I was the only one out of about 7 of us that made it the rest had dropped out by mile 9. 1 collapsed and one lost all the wheel bearings from his rear wheel. I was not very fit but I was determine. The only difficult thing is it is very hilly.

Ditchling Beacon is a Cunt. I walked up it (along with 95%) of the other riders. going down it is amazing, I hit 44mph on my speed (very scary).

Tips.

Sun tan lotion, I did it on the hottest day of the year, I was wearing a vest and missed 2 spots on my back as such got burnt to buggery on those spots.

Road tyres, don't do it on knobblies, get road tyres for you bike if you don't have them. Make sure your bike has a good service before you go and make sure you have a tool kit/ puncture repair kit.

Food, Fruit is amazing, I met up with a few guys who needed help with a puncture I helped them out then rode the rest of the way with them. One of the girls offered me a bit of an orange. It was the most amazingly thing I have ever eaten. I was tired I was hot I was sweaty and that juicy bit of orange gave me a second wind. I would have a huge breakfast something like pasta with loads of carbs, them just take fruit and a sandwich. Down worry too much about packing for the day as loads of places (especially churches) offer free drinks and then rolls/sandwiches at a nominal fee. There are loads of water points so don't worry about stocking up.

The End, Make sure somebody is there to collect you, I pretty much collapsed when I got in my dads car, I was asleep before we got out of Brighton. Don't plan on doing anything the next day Laughing

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

london to brighton is an easy run, I enjoyed it. Slow paced for non cyclists too. I found it enjoyable cycling in the main group. Was always someone to talk to and it was slow enough to talk to other people. London to paris was good to. Though london to paris should be harder when I did it they did it over 5 days so it was still pretty easy. Have never done any of the others.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
From what I've heard from others the most gruelling part of it is the fact it is absolutely packed, and therefore painfully slow.

Didn't find this at all, the first few miles where a bit busy, after that I can't remember ever being held up I kept my average speed of 13-15mph for the whole ride (barring hills!)

chillyman0
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:05 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it in september on a motorby-cycle, much less effort!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it a few years back, there are some major hill climbs so make sure you do a couple of rides before the day. Oh, and try to get an early start time otherwise you will get the chase cars following and overtaking you then you are pretty screwed if there is a problem. Don't do it on a mountain bike!

Good fun though, I will do it again one day Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:32 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I did it a few years back, there are some major hill climbs so make sure you do a couple of rides before the day. Oh, and try to get an early start time otherwise you will get the chase cars following and overtaking you then you are pretty screwed if there is a problem. Don't do it on a mountain bike!

I did it on a mountain bike and had the latest start (9.30 IIRC) and was fine. Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:42 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impression I have is that if you are a novice it is a good day out, but if you are a seasoned cyclist then you don't get very good value for money and doing the big hill at the end is crap because most people walk up it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
waffles wrote:

I did it on a mountain bike and had the latest start (9.30 IIRC) and was fine. Laughing

Shh chris, you makin me look bad!
I struggled on a mountain bike, guess im not really as strong as I thought I was.

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 08 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Mountain bikes indeed... At least you weren't an utter nubtard and did it on a single speed Specialized Langster... Now that would be dumb!.....

*covers his bike with a blanket and blanks hills from his mind*

Ahem....

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:06 - 09 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us on here did it a few years go. I did it with only about one practice 10 mile ride before and was ok, if a little sore after.

As above, went for a late start (can't be doing with 'early') on a mountain bike and was fine. Made a point of cycling up all the hills.
Took a cross-country route when it got backed up around an accident, which gave a nice free-flowing ride from that point on for a decent chunk of it.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:13 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone, most helpful Thumbs Up

I've managed to register a team and my workmates range from the enthusiastic to the 'meh' but we have a healthy sized team.

I'm going to start doing some riding this weekend so I'll have to dust of my bike and get going, not before buying a gel cover for the saddle though!

I'm looking forward to it actually plus it's for charidee mate, we'll be raising money for the BHF under the name Harry's Hopefuls in memory of my mate Harry who died suddenly last year from a heart attack so look out for some sponsorship spamola soon.

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top stuff Joe. Had a good fella Steve over the road from me died last year due to his heart stopping suddenly. Was early 40s, light drinker and smoker, nothing to bad. Was quite.. Bizarre I guess is the word. He seemed healthy and had no previous heart problems. It just decided to stop pumping one day.

Good luck, post your spammage when you do it.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was today, and I was out taking some photos between 10.30-1.15pm in Haywards Heath. I had no idea there would be so many cyclists...hundreds and hundreds.

No idea when Joe came through or if indeed I caught him on camera... I abandoned post when it pissed it down with rain... Cool

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillyman0 wrote:
Do it in september on a motorby-cycle, much less effort!

This. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:53 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I had no idea there would be so many cyclists...hundreds and hundreds.

Try tens of thousands!

I didn't make it as no lift back etc. Did do 39 miles cycling today to make up for it (two of those on a unicycle too Smile )!

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I have to wear a helmet if I did this? Tempted to do it next year and a few other routes but wouldn't want to wear a helmet (yes, I'm a pretty badass rebel! Cool )

Last edited by tvchimp on 17:16 - 19 Jun 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:30 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If doing it officially; yes, I believe so (actually, not 100% on that now, pretty sure I didn't have one when I did it a few years ago). However, they are public roads and no one's going to stop you cycling along there anywhere.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some photos to share...

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they allow me to take my bike on the train from Nottingham>London then from Brighton>Nottingham ?

fiveus
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:40 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvchimp wrote:
Would they allow me to take my bike on the train from Nottingham>London then from Brighton>Nottingham ?

think you just have to prebook the tickets Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking in to general bike on train stuff.
It depends on the train line and you often have to book.

All the 'bike spaces' on trains from Brighton will get booked up pretty quickly.

However, you may well be able to blag a lift back to London - pretty regularly been people from here doing it for a start.

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. May have to have a look at doing it next year - have family that lives in London, so would probably spend a few days with them along side doing the LTB ride giving me plenty of time to recuperate with beer and some bbq Cool

My boss did it this year with a few of the other guys in another department at my work - said he'd done it before but as this was his last for a few years, he was making it a 'LTB Beer Run' and trying to stop at as many pubs as he could for a quick half-a-pint. Wonder how he did. (pissed is my guess).

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was rain today? I cycled 132 miles today just north of Oxford and didn't see a drop!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2