Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain cleaner/lube on tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Chain cleaner/lube on tyres? Reply with quote

As you can see from my other post I cleaned the chain today and everytime i've done it you can't avoid getting some on the edge of the tyre. Is this dangerous? I know the cleaner is meant to evaporate but I thought I'd ask anyway

Chequered Flag

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Chain cleaner/lube on tyres? Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
As you can see from my other post I cleaned the chain today and everytime i've done it you can't avoid getting some on the edge of the tyre. Is this dangerous? I know the cleaner is meant to evaporate but I thought I'd ask anyway

Aerosol spray cleaners are normally highly volatile and so will vaporate without a trace. Chain lube is different as it is waxy/oily etc. The idea of expensive branded ones is normally that they don't fling off so much, if you are getting fling with it then it isn't really offering any benefit over normal gear oil or engine oil. I get fling when I oil my chain, I just lean it over gradually until it has worn off.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say you've had to go through some oil/diesel..how long before you've forgot about it?

Few miles/corners of steady cornering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Say you've had to go through some oil/diesel..how long before you've forgot about it?

Good point Laughing I guess it's because you have visually seen it go on to the tyre you worry more.

As for fling off, I'm not sure yet because I haven't rid the bike with this new stuff. The weird thing is I can tell where I've actually sprayed it on because the chain still looks the same. I don't have a paddock stand so I spray it on, wheel it forward then spray some more etc

I might get a tutoro for £20 and just use old oil like you guys suggest Thumbs Up

Chequered Flag

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use new oil...That's cos iz ride a Dookati innit. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I use new oil...That's cos iz ride a Dookati innit. Cool

Show off Razz

Chequered Flag

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv moaned about Tutoro's before, mines in my mums garage with a broken nozzle, didnt last long, was a pain in the ass tbh.
Plus the always forgetting to turn it on, then forgetting to turn it off when i did remember, cue oil over the garage/drive...nightmare

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tutoro it depends on how you set your delivery tube. I know you have it set to deliver on the lower run of the chain so that it's dispensing on the inside face.

Twin nozzle setups are fine. My nozzles are a bit chewed up from when I set the delivery tube too close to the sprocket. But now I just have it about an inch away from the swingarm pointing at the chain.

I never really bother about it going on my tyres since the amounts we're talking about are minuscule - 10ml is what the tube takes, and the rate of dispensing depends on how far you've set your nozzle. Used mine for 2 years on the blade with no issues, and 2 years on the ninja!

Paraffin on a rag is by far the best way of cleaning you chain... agitated by a brush. A scouring pad tends to help the most stubborn bits.

Webbikeworld did a comparison of chain cleaners here

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-chain-cleaner/

You got served with your wurth stuff! Yeah it's good, but I went through so many of those bottles... along with the dry lube, that I decided meh! I can't be bothered carrying a can of chain lube under my seat when 150ml 3 in 1 oil lasts 3 times as long. I can shove it in the tutoro reservoir, crank it open to half way and ride in the rain without worry of my chain being under-lubed!

Evidentially, how much WOULD you want to waste on chain lubes?

https://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/chain-lubes-2008.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tot which oil is best to use in the Tutoro? I might be able to get some free silkolene semi stuff which they put in my bike from work. Obviously that amount I had to pay for but less they should give free/cheap

I keep going to buy a Tutoro and end up buying something else! Laughing

Chequered Flag

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any oil WILL do. I use 3 in 1 oil out of convenience. Usually once the bottle is empty, I decant any mineral oil 20W50 or whatever is cheapest for a litre. It lasts ages so I'm happy with it. Nothing to fancy. The cheaper the better, free is best. IF you are using old engine oil, filter it. The tutoros will clog if you have debris in the valve. Nothing a bit of compressed air and a good wash out with alcohol won't solve (brake cleaner).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Read an article in RiDE a while back how mud wears off in like 2-3 bike lengths and diesel 5 bike lengths. That is if I remember correctly.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 11 years, 71 days between these two posts...

KingKong
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:57 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to OP's question:

Lubed chain, got some on rear tyre, so I used chain cleaner (not lube) to clean tyre. Will this cause slippage on rear tyre?

Past - 2016 Ninja 300 (dark grey); K4 GSXR 600 (sexy yellow); 2002 CBR600FS; 2004 GSXR 1000; 2006 Kwak 636; 2005 Yamaha XVS 1100 Dragstar (facepalm); 2005 Kwak 636; 2011 Yamaha R125.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKong wrote:
Adding to OP's question:

Lubed chain, got some on rear tyre, so I used chain cleaner (not lube) to clean tyre. Will this cause slippage on rear tyre?

Depends; paraffin will clean the chain (what I use) but it will be slippery until it dries off. Oil will technically clean the chain too. If it's solvent based then probably it'll dry off and leave it clean UNLESS it's carried some of the dissolved oil/grease onto the tyre then left it there when it evaporated.

Why are you replying to an 11 year old topic? Or has it taken that long for your post to appear?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1