Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


suggestions for songs to learn on acoustic Guitar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: suggestions for songs to learn on acoustic Guitar Reply with quote

looking for some new stuff to learn now I have time on my hands
nothing too complicated and nothing with fingerpicking etc
just nice songs to strum along to, or play at party's etc

to give you an idea of my level of playing recent stuff I learned includes Give a little bit by supertramp (on a tv advert just now)
David Bowie Heroes & sorrow
meat loaf Heaven can wait, paradise by the dashboard light
Greenday 21 guns & Restless Heart Syndrome

I don't mind using Capo's but hate detuning and have a very wide musical taste
Karma for anything out of ordinary that takes my fancy
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beethovens Moonlight Sinata (in A minor I think?) sounds terrific, yes it's fingerpicky, but it's worth it.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intro to Comfortably Numb. (edit - fail "fingerpicking". Sad ) Makes people cry, that. In fact the whole song is pretty straightforward and 'easy' to learn to sing too....

Extreme - More than Words. Chicks dig that properly, you don't even need to sing it, cos they do!!

If you made it through those two and haven't got slithering clunge flopping at your feet you're doing it wrong.


Last edited by UnknownStuntman on 17:16 - 15 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
Beethovens Moonlight Sinata (in A minor I think?) sounds terrific, yes it's fingerpicky, but it's worth it.

GhostRider


just a bit out my league, though I love listening to John Williams etc
thats more my son's league, he does all that "canon in G" fingerpicking when he's not
blasting out his thrash / death /grunge metal on his electric guitar

I can play comfortably numb already, sounds great on my 12 string
more than words is Ok tried it before and got it not too bad but hate the Bm7
and you have to do little finger picks to get it to sound right
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR


Last edited by oldpink on 17:33 - 15 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AJ9000
Nova Slayer



Joined: 24 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain Damage is easy.

American Pie, G D Am C Em is about all you need.

She Talks to Angels by Black crowes is one of my faves.

Ultimate Guitar is your friend

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ9000 wrote:
Brain Damage is easy.

American Pie, G D Am C Em is about all you need.

She Talks to Angels by Black crowes is one of my faves.

Ultimate Guitar is your friend

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/


Learned a load of floyd over the years
american Pie I can play but can never remember the lyrics past verse 2
the black crows, now thats one I will look at

I use ultimate guitar all the time for tab's / chords, had to use a proxy recently though
as the Nazi music industry has banned a lot of tab's there due to copywrite issues in the Uk
I had to use an american proxy to get around there block on Bowie and Eric Clapton tab's
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pink Snr.

Theres an acoustic chord version of Comfy Numb here

Wish you were Here

Without knowing what kind of music you want to play its harder to select songs. Levellers do a shedload of easy 4 chord songs that are good to learn. Stereophonics have a few nice tracks to play.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh that reminds me, "Lonely Stranger" by Clapton is a good one to learn, easy on the ears too.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:


I use ultimate guitar all the time for tab's / chords, had to use a proxy recently though
as the Nazi music industry has banned a lot of tab's there due to copywrite issues in the Uk
I had to use an american proxy to get around there block on Bowie and Eric Clapton tab's


Ultimate Guitar I have bookmarked for easy access. I use a combination of that and youtube. Get the chords you want to learn from U/G and head to youtube with a different webpage and look for someone covering the song. The origonal rarely shows you the chord formations and changes but covers tend to use a single static camera and you can see everything clearly.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderwall, Oasis. Gallagher is a clever songwriter, nice chord transitions, fairly easy to play.
I like whisky in the jar, Thin Lizzy version, again easy but you can improvise on it a bit. (Once saw an Irish guy play this in the traditional style on a 12 string acoustic, awesome.)

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Wonderwall, Oasis. Gallagher is a clever songwriter, nice chord transitions, fairly easy to play.
I like whisky in the jar, Thin Lizzy version, again easy but you can improvise on it a bit. (Once saw an Irish guy play this in the traditional style on a 12 string acoustic, awesome.)

OGR

This is one of those great dividers of guitarists. If you are of a certain age, the first thing you ever learned to play was House of the Rising Sun. If you're not then the first thing you ever learned to play was Wonderwall.

I find Getting Better by Shed 7 very satisfying to play.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Mr Pink Snr.

Without knowing what kind of music you want to play its harder to select songs. Levellers do a shedload of easy 4 chord songs that are good to learn. Stereophonics have a few nice tracks to play.


this is the point of this thread finding new avenues to explore
I've learned most of the Floyd stuff thats in my playing ability and I've covered oasis, Bowie, travis, james etc

I like Ballad type stuff like Heart alone & Rod Stewart killing of Geordie
right through to ACDC (on acoustic as well)
just getting bored playing the same bands and song's thats why I'm looking for a bit of variety
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

got quite a few oasis / Noel songs under my belt already and I'm a fan of his style

Shed 7 not in my usual playlists will have a listen Thumbs Up
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a list of the songs I play on acoustic. All can be found on Ultimate Guitar and all use basic chords.

Eagles - Hotel California
GnR - Patience
Levellers - Another mans cause
Ugly Kid Joe - Cats In the Cradle
Scissor Sisters - Take your mama (simple 3 chord song using barre chords and great fun to play)
Paolo Nutini - Candy
Verve - Sonnet
Verve - the drugs dont work
Iggy Pop - Passenger (takes a bit to get used to the constant chord changes)
U2 - One
The Cure - Friday I'm In love
The Almighty - Jesus Loves You (but I dont)
Chili's - Desecration smile
Stone sour - zzyzx Road (Great song to play on acoustic)
Kelly Jones - Jayne (played slow and bluesy or fast on the electric)
Stereophonics - Maybe Tomorrow
Paul Weller - Brand new start
Paul - Weller - Wild wood
Green Day - Boulevard of broken dreams
Green day - Good Riddance
Nirvana - About a girl
Pogues - Irish rover
Linkin Park - Numb
Dubliners - Whiskey in the jar
Thin Lizzy - Whiskey.....
Oasis - Live forever
Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Richard Ashcroft - Song for the Lovers
Levellers - Sell out
Levellers - Come on
Levellers - 4AM (Rock song plays great acoustic though)
Levellers - Riverflow
Soul Asylum - Runaway train
Train - Drops of Jupiter
Creedence Clearwater - Bad Moon Rising (3 chord wonder)
Bob - Blowin in the wind
Beautiful South - Dont marry her
Beatles - Let it be

I have them all printed out and stuck into a folder for easy access away from the computer and all piss easy to play.

Sheesh I can play more than I thought
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Gallagher is a clever songwriter


Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

I know quite a few of them already but theres a couple that I see that I will have a go at
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
Thumbs Up

I know quite a few of them already but theres a couple that I see that I will have a go at


If you cant get the chords on U/G pm me and I can give you them from my copies bud.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn this and you'll be all done in 1 song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Beelzebob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immortal by Evanescence is beautiful acoustically, pretty easy but still sounds awesome Thumbs Up
____________________
'09 YBR 125 -> '92 XJ600 S Diversion -> '99 Hornet 600

"Stronger than your average female lifeguard"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some M. Ward stuff?

Chinese Translation
Fuel for Fire

Not a lot of folk will probably know it though if it's party pieces you're looking for, plus, they'd probably work best if you sang the song as well Laughing

M. Ward is my favourite singer/songwriter/guitarist dude of recent years. The guy has a good earthy tone and feel to his songs. Quite a songwriter as well and his guitar style is sorta 40's - 50's like, I dunno, not great at describing these things.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Learn this and you'll be all done in 1 song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A


one of my favorite guitar pieces ever, though I could never play it Thumbs Up

pink thanks for the offer, I've got about 300+ tab / chords downloaded from UG on my laptop
and a load printed & laminated for use at party's (someone always spills booze over them)

if you have trouble getting chords from UG just now due to the Nazi music industry block
use this link then just go to UG through there proxy and you can get all the songs blocked in the Uk https://www.hiddensurffreely.com/
it fools the site into thinking your in the USA where the songs are not blocked
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tears in Heaven

Layla acoustic

Behind blue eyes

This is one of my favourites though from In Flames (damn good metal as well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeyFrzw2jBQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
Beethovens Moonlight Sinata (in A minor I think?) sounds terrific, yes it's fingerpicky, but it's worth it.

GhostRider


You are telling him to finger a minor... Rolling Eyes Tis illegal mate Laughing

Acoustic stuff isnt my forte at all! Maybe picking from my metal side of music.. the intro to "hearts burst into fire" by bullet for my valentine.. or the whole song "all these things I hate" by the same band Laughing

Fairly basic and the first one sounds pretty good!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lullaby by creed
everlong by foo fighters
time of your life . greenday
zoe jane by staind
also aaron lewis has some really nice acoustic stuff !
times like these . foo fighters
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 15 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana's version of The Man Who Sold The World. It even features a nice slidy one-string solo.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 135.05 Kb