Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Show us your road machines!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:31 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Show us your road machines!!! Reply with quote

No engines allowed! Just pure pedal power and none of the MTB nonsense i'm sure there are plenty of threads with pics of our MTB's as I have uploaded a couple.

So happy that summer is nearly here, just a pity there are more potholes than roads these days!

My road bike: -

2009 Focus Cayo 105. Carbon fibre frame and forks and Shimano 105 groupset.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/JonBod/P1000475.jpg

Anybody take part in any sportives or Audaxes?

Did my first audax a couple of weeks ago, 110km Mad March event from Exeter. Pretty good, looking to do one every month and hopefully do a 200km event by the end of the year.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloric_tzr wrote:
Laughing

Welcome to 2001.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No engine = No point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:10 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got into the old road riding malarky, trying to get fit and go out on 2 wheels without using a load of petrol up.

My steed:

2010 Road Comp, carbon forks but alu frame, Tiagra/105 groupset.

https://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6673/dsc00393h.jpg

Don't do any massive distances at the moment just easing in.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Chris Boardman bikes can come with a hefty price tag.

However you can keep your Road "bikes" and give me one of these.

https://artbikerworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/11_1_rat-fink1.jpg

Omm nom nom nom.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has me one of these:
https://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/05/15/1242380709067-12mpfg9jizkm0-670-75.jpg

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:26 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:

Youve obviously not seen some other bikes out there, Boardman bikes are considered good value for money road bikes (though admittedly can go up in quality/price).

Have a look at this: https://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/specialized-mclaren-venge-aero-road-bike-launched-29642?img=1&pn=specialized-mclaren-venge-aero-road-bike-launched&mlc=news%2Farticle#

The bike costs £5000 for the frame/fork. Ie you will still need to buy wheels a groupset (shifters/chain etc) and probably bars/saddle etc.

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:28 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I got one of the last of the 2010 models before this years range so picked it up for £570 instead of £700.

This years model is £800 I think.

Still quite a bit but in road bike terms it's considered entry level! Although the spec is very good for the price.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. £1000 really is entry level in terms of road bikes.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Carl_steveo wrote:

Youve obviously not seen some other bikes out there, Boardman bikes are considered good value for money road bikes (though admittedly can go up in quality/price).

Hence why I said Hefty and not fucking INSANE lol. Shocked Shocked

Five fucking grand, Five.............fucking...........grand for half a bike. Why???

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
I concur. £1000 really is entry level in terms of road bikes.

I bought my 1000cc road bike for that much money. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hears ya!!!

It took me some time to get my head round the fact that despite me exchanging £1000 for a bicycle that feels like half the saddle is still up my rectum when I get off, it doesn't actually come with any pedals.

I asked the guy in Halfords if I was expected to propel the bike with the power of my mind? Eventually got a set of pedals out of them, begrudgingly.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
my rectum when I get off, it doesn't actually come with any pedals.

I saw that and did wonder. Did you get a cheap set of pedals for it or did Hallfrauds give you a decent set.

You know what they say. £1000 pushbike and cheap pedals = Fur coat and no knickers. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:24 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

1968 Coventry Eagle steel frame.
Atom alloy hubs with 27" chromed rims.
Weinman single acting callipers.
Shimano sealed Italian bottom bracket (bugger to find!).
Suntour single ring 46t chainset.
Rear hub redished by yours truly to take 16t spin-on freewheel with chain runout <2mm.
Original Brookes racing saddle.
North road bars.
Very shoddy levers I had lying about, to be replaced with aero-levers at some point then the bars taped properly.
About £150 spent.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0395.jpg

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:55 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Boardman bikes are actually really good, i'm surprised Halfords managed to get their hands on them to be honest!

I got mine for a bit of a bargain at the end of 2009, got it for £875 down from £1200. Thumbs Up

Only problem is that the money spending doesn't stop there. I think this hobby probably sets me back more than motorcycling ever did (not including fuel).

Stinkwheel, nice bike. When I saw the pic before reading your post I thought it was a Raleigh! The emblem looks very similar. On the Audax rides you see a lot of bikes like that. To be honest mine is a bit of a "pocket rocket", but it's not particularly comfy for long distance rides so looking at getting a more traditional touring bike. Although trying to just buying a 3rd bike for the Jon B household might be hard to put past the wifey. Confused

Fortunately Carbon Fibre is a lot more comfortable than my old steel Peugeot was though!!!

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Minty wrote:
my rectum when I get off, it doesn't actually come with any pedals.

I saw that and did wonder. Did you get a cheap set of pedals for it or did Hallfrauds give you a decent set.

You know what they say. £1000 pushbike and cheap pedals = Fur coat and no knickers. Laughing

Mine was the display bike and it had £120 of cleat pedals that I convinced them needed to stay on there.

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:14 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good and bad that Halfords were selling them. Good because they were shifting a whole load of them so I got it for a good deal.

Bad because the guy who set it up in the first place was a complete ape and didnt know what he was doing. Luckily my local Halfords had a really nice guy working there who knew what he was doing.

Yeah thats a bargain for a full carbon bike.

I only got that about a week ago so still need all the clothing, pump, cycle computer, clip in pedals, shoes, a lock and maybe some lights.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:15 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny Bravo wrote:

Stinkwheel, nice bike. When I saw the pic before reading your post I thought it was a Raleigh! The emblem looks very similar.

The one I built for my fiancee is a raleigh. Absolute amazing find on her part, found dumped at the side of the river with the wheels bent in half.
1976 raleigh competition frame in reynolds steel tubing.
Mavic 700c rims on systemex hubs.
Shimano XT chainset, shimmed to fit a single 46t ring. No measurable chain runout.
15t miche track cog on the rear.
I recently fitted a nice double acting weinman front brake calliper.
It's on drop bars, some weird forged alloy ones I found, almost as wide as cyclocross ones.
Downside is she hated the Brookes saddle so it has a really scabby cheap one on it which is apparently very comfortable.

It's absolutely feather-light. Weighs in at around 5.5kg.

I'll need to take a picture of it at some point, looks the business and absolutely superb for riding round the town centre. Harder work on hills (both up and down) but pretty much pedals itself on the flat. You can flow through traffic so smoothly.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a pic of it when I get home (after I've been out on it), but essentially it is a mid 1990's Alu Specialized Allez Frame, with a 1" LOOK carbon fork, awesome mid 90's Cinelli Stem, Campag Xenon (base) chainset, Tiagra brakes, front wheel is a Shimano RE30 or summat front wheel (cost me £30 new, heavily discounted stock clearance), rear wheel is a Campag R3 Zonda which really has seen better days, random seat tube & seat and a Shimano bottom bracket.

Cost me £300 off ebay in September 2005, a qualification prezzie to myself, it's been to Australia and back twice, I commuted on it for about 3 1/2 years, it looks like a p.o.s. but I love it - it's probably my most cherised possession.

PLUS it has gaffa tape rather than handlebar tape on the RH handlebar as I had to cut it when I was fixing a cable.

Seriously, it rules. Cool

As for rides - I go out in the evenings twice a week, then at least one 40+ miler at the weekend and a 20 miler on the other day.

Jon - are you still down south? I'm planning on doing the Isle of Wight and New Forest 'On & Off Shore 200km' Audax in September. The New Forest Grid Iron will also be done in October, but I should do something else before then.

I loves cycling I does.

ian789
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:25 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people who should of bought a road bike but bought a hybrid and regret it allowed to post Embarassed

https://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af212/ian107/DSCN0018.jpg

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:35 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:

Jon - are you still down south? I'm planning on doing the Isle of Wight and New Forest 'On & Off Shore 200km' Audax in September. The New Forest Grid Iron will also be done in October, but I should do something else before then.

I loves cycling I does.

Yeah still in the South, Haven't planned anything for September and that sounds really tempting!

In August i'm doing a night-time 100 miler from Bristol to Exmouth (starts at 10:30pm with a fullish moon), so should get me ready for a 200km which is just a little bit further.

Then in October got what I am already dreading. The Dartmoor Devil. Neutral Sick

I had to stop running cause I developed a real painful case of runners knee and got back out on the bike and actually I much prefer cycling, it's more time consuming and as I have already said; expensive. But I loves it.

Usually do 20 mile+ rides during the working week, just got back from a nice little 20 miler and then do something 40+ at the weekend if I am not doing some sort of event.

Haven't done a sportive yet, pretty much only because it's a lot of money for a ride on the queens highway which I pay for and is still open to motorists. Confused

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

silly double post
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Last edited by The Shaggy D.A. on 19:52 - 18 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian789 wrote:
Are people who should of bought a road bike but bought a hybrid and regret it allowed to post Embarassed

I do hope so.

https://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2004/large/navigator100.jpg

When I really wanted

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/images/bronx_regal.JPG
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aids with the image linking, here we go mofos....

https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee461/DamofoDOG/P1110100.jpg

Been a bit wet and dirty on the lanes round here...

https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee461/DamofoDOG/P1110101.jpg

Just like Chipo used to have:

https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee461/DamofoDOG/P1110102.jpg

Cool

https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee461/DamofoDOG/P1110103.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2