Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha XJR400 - Idle speed rocketing up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Yamaha XJR400 - Idle speed rocketing up Reply with quote

Hi, the fickle carbs on my XJR threw me a right curveball on the way home tonight, the bike ran sweet as a nut for about 20 minutes then suddenly decided it'd much rather idle at 4k rather than the usual 1k. It was almost as if I'd flicked the choke right on (except actually doing that would more than likely just stall it or stop it from revving freely). First sign I felt of anything going wrong was losing engine braking coming up to some lights.

Now getting these carbs running spot on has been a bit of a mission, one of the first things I had done when I bought the bike was to have the tank and float bowls flushed and the carbs balanced, the first attempt ended up with a warm idle of around 2k but the local workshop soon straightened that out and it's been peachy smooth if a little lean towards the top of the rev range. The carbs could do with a proper strip and clean session but the fuel tank (dodgy petseal job) needs replacing first.

Any suggestions or tips would be hugely welcome as this gremlin is a bit more sudden than the usual treats the bike seems to love throwing at me Laughing Would gunk from the tank be the culprit this time?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

airleak.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the inlet rubbers? That makes sense as the bike sometimes stutters over bumps. Ta!

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like the carb rubbers are leaking.

A good way to check is to spray some WD40 on them and if the idle note changes then they are leaking.

They can be repaired with some rubber glue and electrical tape temporarily but will need to be replaced some time in the future!

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

give me a text if you want me to have a look at it. It's about time you stopped being mugged off by wanky 'mechanics'
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1