Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 600 Rev Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:47 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Bandit 600 Rev Problem Reply with quote

Hi all, I got a problem with a bandit i purchased about 4months ago , its a 03 600s Faired version. It has been sitting in someone's back garden for about 4years with a full fuel tank... (5000) miles on it. I collected it payed for it , payed a mechanic to strip all fuel system side carbs tank etc fully clean it out rebalance carbs adjust mixture screws, set clearance valves all new inline filters new fuel tap. Now its up and running but it has a "little" problem when riding the bike or sitting in a garage, when i rev past a quarter turn of the throttle it coughs and seems to lose power, it picks up revs really really slow , as soon as it hits 5k revs it stops coughing power kicks in and it goes like anything but before 5k it just fails in any gear at any speed. Things ive done to try to fix this , New CDI unit , new TPS , new sparkplugs , check coilpacks/Ht leads , set Tps correctly taken carbs off again and recleaned , new air filter checked for airleaks checked for any kinked hoses you name it ivied tried it ive run out of options.. help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it get better after a while, or does it constantly struggle when revving?

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:14 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh when shes cold if i just try and ride off on her she will die when i rev if i let her warm up she gets better after running on her for an hour i can usally turn the throttle half way befor she gives me problems
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:16 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done say 300miles on her since ive had the carbs off and recleaned , doesnt really seem to be getting any better the more i ride her.

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a standard air filter?

Edit: Try starting it and revving it with the air filter out.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:30 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was in the shop they said they tried a different filter and they said it didnt make any difference to how the bike was performing

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the air filter out, start the bike, let it warm up and then try revving it.

Report back with the results. Thumbs Up

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Bandit 600 Rev Problem Reply with quote

marcusbandit wrote:
all new inline filters

There is your problem. You've replaced the standard air box with pod filters but from what I was reading doesn't sound like you have rejetted to suit?

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tap filter the one thats in the tank , and the inline fuel filter not air filters when i got the bike the previous owner had a spare air filter(new) was still in box which he gave me which i then fitted to the bike and the bike shop said that airfilter was fine. im going to remove the airfilter and run the bike and see what happens il post the reply tomorrow currently doing lates at work

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I ged your pardon, I thought you had changed the air filters for pod ones.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did the mechanic need to adjust the mixture screw?

Are the plug leads on the right plugs?

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:57 - 24 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the pilot screws set correctly on the carbs?

Remember they shouldnt be screwed completley in but need to be backed out 1 3/4 turns.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:54 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mech said he checked the mixture screws just incase and said he set them correctly he didnt say to what , also i just took the air filter out let it warm up went to rev it and it died as you would expect so i completely covered the air intake and it died again , now if i cover the intake say 3/4 the problem disappears instantly , so i went to my local suzuki dealership to check me filter was correct apparently they only do one type and that was the one. So im guessing the bikes running to lean ? on correct plug leads , each coil runs 2 plugs , mine are labeled 1 4 so the mech might of got the mixed up il check is it coil 1 runs 1-4 coil two runs 2-3?

Last edited by marcusbandit on 12:00 - 25 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, does sound like it is running lean.

Turn the mixture screw in all the way, count the number of turns it takes.

Then undo it 2.5 turns, then try the bike. It may need slight adjustment, but only adjust it .25 of a turn at a time. Thumbs Up

If you are unsure about doing the work, you could get it dyno tested. Thumbs Up

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:03 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So turning the screws anti clockwise increased the mixture of fuel? also shall i put the filter back in and run it as normal? and also do i adjust them with it running or off? im guessing off but il rather ask then do something stupid. Had'nt worked on a bike untill 3months ago so this is all new to me

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusbandit wrote:
So turning the screws anti clockwise increased the mixture of fuel? also shall i put the filter back in and run it as normal? and also do i adjust them with it running or off? im guessing off but il rather ask then do something stupid. Had'nt worked on a bike untill 3months ago so this is all new to me

Yes put the air filter in, and yes, adjust the mixture screw while the engine is running.

Edit: Make sure you adjust them all to the same position. Probably better to leave the engine off, as the middle two carbs are awkward to work on.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:57 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes hot engine not nice Very Happy but i kept clear the best i could i wound the screws in all the way i didn't over tighten them im a mechanical fitter by trade so im not totally useless just part Smile i wound them off to 1 and 3/4 turns , did'nt make a different tried another 1/4 got better and better , im on 3full turns on each carb and its running 90% better would help if i had a stubby flat head il grab one from work was using a rachet.... so il redo them after work but im pretty sure the mixture screws was causing the problems, but 3 turns??? surely it should'nt need this many should it?

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many turns did it take to turn them all the way in?

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:47 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope shouldnt need that many turns. But at least youve found out where the problem is.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:58 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right , ive just set all my mixture screws to 3turns off because it running best at that still a little rough but its far better than what it was im guessing a dyno run will do it far better , also referring to what pax asked was about correct plugs, coil 1 goes to 1 and 4 spark (labeled) and coil two goes to 2 and 3 sparkplug (Not labeled). Im using the factory fitted exhaust , it revs better in neutal but when its underload its worse , For e.g with how the mixture is set now if i start it up let it warm up rev it in neut you wouldnt know there was anything wrong with it , pulling away is far different again its alot better than what it was but still before 5k rev its holding back its not so jittery as it was before i set my mixture screws.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:18 - 01 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still havent sorted the problem out. Now turning the mixture screws out is making the bike run leaner which inturn means it was running too rich , so maybe an overfueling problem , ive had the float needle valves replaces so i know the rubber seals are seated correctly the carbs was balanced about a month ago as well , ive just purchased a tempture gague to read the temp of the down pipes to check if they are all the same temp and go from there , ive also got some "seafoam" from ebay apprantly its really good for clearing carbs out so im gona also give that a shot if not then i guess im going to have to take them off for the 4th time..

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:08 - 01 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh sorry wrote that post a bit early , what i meant was befor that post i adjusted the mixture screws out and that lets more air flow in , so if i adjusted it and it got better that must mean it was overfueling/too rich?? ive had the carbs off cleaned check jets, seats , floats , balanced checked diaframs for holes or not seating proprly made sure the needles wasnt getting stuck out of the colit when being lifted/dropped, made sure the slides move freely up and down also.

marcusbandit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:47 - 01 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the idle fueling screws dont control air.

they control fuel.

Just spoke to a few friend mech's and even phoned up a suzuki mech and they all told me they control air flow not fuel flow.

ortigas
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:40 - 03 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having the exact same problem, with the exact same bike.

I've taken out the carbs to clean, cuz i thought it was cloged jets (but its was very clean inside, i still cleaned it tho), and after puting everything back together the bike was runing like new, its been a week and today after work on the way back home, i push it too far i guess, after a nice drag i let off the throttle and when the bike was desaccelerating it missfired (nothing too harsh but not usual) i got back on throttle and teh damm problem was back-.-

on teh carbs tops there are diafragms with a spring, in one of them i have like a small piece of metal that looks like its there to avoid the diafragm to streach to high, but in the other 3 theres no such thing, maybe its one of the needles that came out of the hole when missfired?

ortigas
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:43 - 03 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bumping but marcus did u got ur bandit fixed?

for anyone else reading care to give a hint please Smile ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2