Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mountain bike brakes and wheels upgrade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 17:47 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Mountain bike brakes and wheels upgrade Reply with quote

I bought a mountain bike a couple of years ago and stupidly went for the usual old style (V?) brakes. I saw the forks had the mounts for the disc brakes if I chose to upgrade in the future but didn't realise the wheel hubs needed to be a certain type to mount them. The bike is a Specialized Hardrock Sport. Being a fat git I find the brakes lacking in stopping power so thought about upgrading to discs. I had a go on a mate's bike today with hydraulic discs and was impressed.

Now I'm not wanting to spend a fortune - is there some sort of adaptor I can fit to the hub so it can accept discs?

Otherwise am I looking at new wheels time?

Thanks.

Last edited by ..... on 20:08 - 28 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Mountain bike brakes upgrade Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

am I looking at new wheels time?

This....or getting your existing wheels rebuilt with different hubs,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:27 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a complete noob at this pedalling stuff, what sort of price should I expect to be charged for that?

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wheel build is around £15/20 depending on your local bike shop rates plus the cost of the hubs, spokes and nipples .

If you're buying hubs from the internet and taking them to the bike shop to build then make sure you get the right ones as there's a multitude of different axles types (quick release, 20mm bolt thru, 15mm bolt thru etc etc) axle widths (back wheel mainly), spoke hole number (if you're having new hubs built onto your current rims then this will be dictated by what hole your rims are).

I'd just buy new wheels to be honest as you can also save a lot of weight with a good set of wheels when upgrading from basic spec.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:37 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see myself getting suckered in and this getting expensive Laughing

I am doing the London to Brighton soon - would I notice the benefit of upgrading the wheels?

I know literally nothing about bikes - can you recommend a set of wheels?

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/media/wagon.jpg

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:35 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't use them Charlie, they've got much smaller over the years. If it was the summer of '85 back when they were full size they would have fitted my Raleigh Burner a treat.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I can see myself getting suckered in and this getting expensive Laughing

I am doing the London to Brighton soon - would I notice the benefit of upgrading the wheels?

I know literally nothing about bikes - can you recommend a set of wheels?

It's been a long time since I've actually bought any wheels separate to a bike to be honest and as I ride more jumps/freeride/downhill I've always ended up getting the really strong but heavy wheels so I wouldn't know what to recommend as a lightweight wheelset.

There's quite a few people on here who ride a lot of cross country so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction Thumbs Up

You'd definitely notice a difference for the better with a lighter wheelset and slicker more road orientated tyre on road ride though. Knobbly tyres slow you down quite a lot on the road.

Pabbers
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Mountain bike brakes upgrade Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I bought a mountain bike a couple of years ago and stupidly went for the usual old style (V?) brakes. I saw the forks had the mounts for the disc brakes if I chose to upgrade in the future but didn't realise the wheel hubs needed to be a certain type to mount them. The bike is a Specialized Hardrock Sport. Being a fat git I find the brakes lacking in stopping power so thought about upgrading to discs. I had a go on a mate's bike today with hydraulic discs and was impressed.

Now I'm not wanting to spend a fortune - is there some sort of adaptor I can fit to the hub so it can accept discs?

Otherwise am I looking at new wheels time?

Thanks.

Just accept you're a fat git Joe, and give yourself more stopping distance.... Thumbs Up

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 20:47 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hardly ride the thing Joe .. and when you do its to pop to the shops to buy 20 B&H.
V brakes are fine .. you dont need disc.

When you are joining us for hard core mofo rides.. then you are allowed disc brakes.

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/silky666/Mountain%20Bike/bikesholmbury.jpg

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:55 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be joining you hardcore mofos - I need discs.

I'll have you know I gave up smoking aaaages ago. I even bought a bike helmet the other day - I look like a proper tit in it.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would prob be better off just getting some decent brake blocks and getting it all set up I would think..
I'm sure the biggest advantage with disks is they still work when the wheel is covered in crap really as when you look at the leverage differance between the size of the rim and the disks using the rim for braking has much more effect. my mate is doing the london-brighton run too but he has about 3K's worth of fancy carbon bike (with V brakes tho).. you will prob beat him lol Confused
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lot of people don't realise is that a set of good V's will brake very well when set up correctly!

They offer less maintenance aswell, discs only really tend to be a step up when you spend quite a bit more, (Or if it's wet - but V's can still be very competitive!)

If you do get disks though they have got to be hydralic!

Just remember you pretty much always get what you pay for!

Thumbs Up

Colin Edwards
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGM now I am looking at bikes..

So at work we do a policy were you can choose a bike and work pay for it. You then pay it off over 12 months.. So as the summer is coming what could I get for a grand or less.. The less is of course best but lets just say up to a grand..

Live by the Thames so lots of place to cycle, some road but would like to get into a bit ov light off road..

What do you recommend

CE

Sorry iof I have hijacked the thread

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I will be joining you hardcore mofos - I need discs.

I'll have you know I gave up smoking aaaages ago. I even bought a bike helmet the other day - I look like a proper tit in it.

1) You dont need discs ... you just need your v brakes setting up right / proper pads.
The blue bike in that pic is a 1991 Specialized with old v brakes ... He does fine going down some proper gnarly (thats like biker yoof slang for 'difficult') routes.
I know the score fella.. as do most of the males on BCF ... you want ('need') discs.

2) The best thing about riding proper off-road is that everyone wears a helmet... its mad not too.. so we all look like proper tits ... which in turn means we dont look like tits at all.
With a helmet on you can bomb along and feel safe ..... well! sort of ... apart from the lad the other month that got his eyelid ripped off when a branch caught it Shocked

3) When you joining us then ? We are riding this Sunday Rolling Eyes

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silky are you still out on the bikes alot?

I have this beast now! Twisted Evil

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/67212_10150284672010497_784455496_15326398_4471112_n.jpg

And if you really need a set of hydraulic discs then "clarks" are good value for money Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 06:49 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:
I know the score fella.. as do most of the males on BCF ... you want ('need') discs.

I NEED them!

I'll be out as soon as the missus' youngest football finishes for the season - 2 or 3 weeks - so I'll have the car.

How hilly are these 'gnarly trails'? Uphill is ghey.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 18:31 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:

Yeah ... now the -3 temps have gone we are out 2 or 3 times a week.
Usually a quick 90 min evening ride on Tues and Thurs.
Then at weekend a proper big run out.
If you are around then welcome to join us.

Joe wrote:

I'll be out in 2 or 3 weeks
How hilly are these 'gnarly trails'? Uphill is ghey.

Its in 18 font son Smile 3 weeks it is Thumbs Up

Thats the dilema !
The more you go uphill ... the more fun it is coming back (downhill).
Dont worry ... we have it all planned well and will look after you.
Dont forget this is me we are talking about here .... you know my stance on 'smoke breaks' when off roading Wink
So, I will take you on our beginners course... which is about 30 mins of uphill ..... then a good 45 minutes of downhill fun and little jumps and stuff.

In fact this is some of the downhill bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDRW05Ne3Eg

N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 18:47 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
just a quick thread highjack

how long should the wheel bearings last on a dh ? all mine are knackered D:

Depends on the obvious.... how long ridden and the conditions ridden in.
I can only say from my perspective:
Ride twice a week ish through the year.
Conditions are muddy or gritty (Leith Hill is notorious for shagging bikes).
My wheel bearings last the year easy.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:58 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just asked the missus and there's 3 more weekends of football left, so I'll be out after that. That vid looks like a good laugh, although I'll be doing that without the jumps, about 1/3rd of the speed and because there's no engine sounds you'll hear me scream like a girly girl.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
just a quick thread highjack

how long should the wheel bearings last on a dh ? all mine are knackered D:

The ones in my bmx lasted about 5-6 months before disintegrating into specs of shit. So then I brought some 'titanium plated' ones which did a little better!

This was with pretty much continuos riding and abuse all the time though!

Thumbs Up

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/67212_10150284672010497_784455496_15326398_4471112_n.jpg

And if you really need a set of hydraulic discs then "clarks" are good value for money Thumbs Up

Lovely Ragley Mmmmbop! I want one of them next or the Blue Pig Frame.

Also to the Original poster. Merlin do some cracking wheel builds. Can pic up a Rear for about £62 and front for £52 with Mavic Rims and SLX Hubs which are good quality and light wheels.

Also very good Budget Brake discs are these. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Disc-Brake-Kits-Shimano-Deore-M535-Disc-Brake-inc-160mm-CL-Rotor/SHIMDIBK180 I have some and they are excellent stoppers.

Just you need Centre lock (Splined) hubs although you can get the standard 6 Bolt kit for slightly cheaper

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Disc-Brake-Kits-Shimano-Deore-M535-Disc-Brake-inc-160mm-6-Bolt-Rotor/SHIMDIBK185
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2