Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mountain bike brakes and wheels upgrade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:53 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have some Avid Juicy 3 brakes and some Shimano XT M756 hubs with Mavic EN321 rims on the way.

I honestly don't know what I just said - it might have well been in Hebrew.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:
Damon wrote:
Silky are you still out on the bikes alot?
I have this beast now! Twisted Evil

Yeah ... now the -3 temps have gone we are out 2 or 3 times a week.
Usually a quick 90 min evening ride on Tues and Thurs.
Then at weekend a proper big run out.
If you are around then welcome to join us.

Been out all day today on the bike. great fun!

Where do you guys meet? I'd love to come but I havent got any tranport to get my to and from there Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I may have some Avid Juicy 3 brakes and some Shimano XT M756 hubs with Mavic EN321 rims on the way.

I honestly don't know what I just said - it might have well been in Hebrew.

Bomb proof wheels Thumbs Up I have Mavic XM317's, more XC based but they have took a beating recently and are still running true Smile

Good luck bleeding Avid discs, their an absolute ball ache. Good brakes tho.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had avid 3s on my kona stinky. They were a nightmare and never seemed to give me the crazy amount of braking power that hydraulic discs should Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
That vid looks like a good laugh, although I'll be doing that without the jumps, about 1/3rd of the speed and because there's no engine sounds you'll hear me scream like a girly girl.

It is a great laugh .... and once you get fit / used to the climbs its as much fun as proper manly off-roading with engines.

However, just like our motorised off road antics ... the reality is much more like this (ie: you wont be the worst/slowest rider)

(thats Philo grinning away on the left)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDkJL0oFFo&feature=related

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:10 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get good cable disc brakes too (and they tend to degrade less with time/heat/lack of maintenance), however I'd go for hydraulic if you're spending cash.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 08:34 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my bike is slightly blinged now with its wheels and discs. They actually have made a decent difference and can haul my lardy arse to a stop really well - they have some proper bite rather than the gradual slowing of the old brakes.

Getting the old V brake post mount things out was a right pain, had to use molegrips and blow torch to get them out.

My next question is about tyres - I'm after some road tyres and have seen some on ebay with a width of 1.6 but the seller says they'll fit just about any mountain bike wheel - the website of the rim manufacturer says recommended tyre sizes are 2.10 to 2.50, will the 1.6 fit?

Thanks

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could make them fit but the profile will be all out.

Why don't you just get a 2.1 inch tyre?

Have you got any pictures of your new wheels and discs by the way?

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Well my bike is slightly blinged now with its wheels and discs. They actually have made a decent difference and can haul my lardy arse to a stop really well - they have some proper bite rather than the gradual slowing of the old brakes.

Getting the old V brake post mount things out was a right pain, had to use molegrips and blow torch to get them out.

My next question is about tyres - I'm after some road tyres and have seen some on ebay with a width of 1.6 but the seller says they'll fit just about any mountain bike wheel - the website of the rim manufacturer says recommended tyre sizes are 2.10 to 2.50, will the 1.6 fit?

Thanks

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHWALBE-CITY-JET-26-x-1-95-Bike-Tyre-PAIR-ALL-BLACK_W0QQitemZ260750296023QQcategoryZ27954QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D260758954707%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8353996665812035745#ht_3159wt_1141

Those. I bought some last week and they made a massive difference on my journey to work (downhill on the way there, uphill on the way back) they're good tyres, grip well and rated amongst most bike forums I checked out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:43 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-mtb-tyre/ Same tyre £13.49 Wink

I like the Continental Travel Contact tyres, they have lasted for ~14 months for far with no punctures (can ride straight through broken glass with no problems) and are are very hard wearing so have got many miles left in them still.

I reckon/guess that the 1.6 tyres would just be okay.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:09 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, have you ridden off road with those Continental tyres? How did they cope? I'd quite like tyres for road and trail use so I'm hoping they're good off road as well.

Damon, I'll get some pics but bear in mind they're nothing special.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:20 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not proper off roading, just tow paths and dirt paths across grass fields. In all weathers they're fine on tow paths and anywhere else with something/anything that the knobbly bits can grip on, they're less good on wet grass but then that's kinda to be expected for a mostly slick tyre.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go off road with those tyres. You really want something like this

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54053

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 13:57 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Ste, have you ridden off road with those Continental tyres? How did they cope? I'd quite like tyres for road and trail use so I'm hoping they're good off road as well.

This tyres will not cope at all with off road stuff.
You should know this Joe .. you are a SE OffRoad Mud Plugger Rolling Eyes

Get 2 sets of tyres:
1) Maxxis Hi Roller XC (70a compound) for summer off road + still some 'pop to shops' road work (if pumped right up).
ie: most of the work a mtb should have.

2) Some proper road mtb tyres if you are doing extended road riding.
ie: the London to Brighton you mentioned today.

Best way to buy them is:
a) find them cheap on the web.
b) print out the web page at work (using work ink and paper)
c) take to local Evans and they will match the price.

The benefits of taking to Evans is:
1) They are actually a good company .. always doing things for free for me and advice etc.
2) You can change your mind / realise you made a mistake and just take it back ... no fuss with postage and stuff.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Silky, I went into Evans the other day, a big new one has just opened near me. Went in to buy a puncture repair kit and ended up spending £45, got the kit, a pump and some bar ends.

Here's the bike, I know it's nothing special compared to some on here but it'll do me for now.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/baldgit/photo2.jpg

Note, tub of vaseline on the table and the padded saddle. I plead innocence, the two are not related.

New brakes

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/baldgit/photo3-1.jpg

Levers

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/baldgit/photo4-1.jpg

Note the bell, nothing like riding along a tow path and seeing people jump out of the way with a 'ding ding'. I nearly took it off when I put on the bar ends but it's far too useful despite being the opposite of 'street'. I fear Silky and his mates will take the piss somewhat.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 19:29 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Note the bell, nothing like riding along a tow path and seeing people jump out of the way with a 'ding ding'.
I fear Silky and his mates will take the piss somewhat.

Nice Avid Juicys ... I do like a bit of white on the bike.
Except when it comes to rims.. they have to be black ... nice black rims too Thumbs Up

As far as the bell goes .... I find it quite amusing to have an old school bell on a modern bike ... as you say, it makes people jump.

Now as regards the saddle:
You got an anal prolapse or something ?

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/silky666/Random/sniggering-cat.jpg

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:40 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm trying to avoid! I'm built for comfort not for speed.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 10 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres - I changed from Continental "Gravity" recently as I was doing a fair bit of road mileage and wanted something with less drag, ended up trying Schwalbe Land Cruisers as they were fairly cheap and purported to be puncture resistant. I'm seriously impressed for the money, much more sure footed on tarmac and still quite competent on mud. Can't say I'd care to try a serious downhill run but for average XC they're performing as well as the Continentals were.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2