Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Off-Road cycle trails/routes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Off-Road cycle trails/routes Reply with quote

How do you find out where your nearest off road trail is?

I'm not looking for anything for a motorbike, but looking for a fair few mile journey mainly off-road cycling, trails and the like. Just got a new bike, and feel like testing it out (please bare in mind, I'm not at my peak physical fitness! Laughing ... Embarassed)

I know a few which aren't so near, but are a few mile, then the trail starts. Found a nice 20mile round journey which I'm gonna be doing shortly (in a few weeks) which hopefully will jump start my off road cycling experience..

Will post a pic of the bike later on after work, camera has no battery for a decent pic Mad

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sustrans

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?searchKey=&searchType=search&Search=Find

or

Forestry.gov.uk

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/england-cycling

njd27
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:22 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: They have maps for a reason Reply with quote

Look on bing maps, switch it to ordnance survey mode.

Then look for bridleways (long dashes) and BOATS(plus symbols)/RUPPS (dashes with little blobs) but not the footpaths (little dashes) because they have lots of stiles and confused dog walkers.

For instance, here:
https://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51.047188395439534~-1.248650697490712&lvl=14&dir=0&sty=s&FORM=LMLTCC

Plenty of bridleways on the South Downs Smile

OS map key is here:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/education/pdf/25knewEGMlegend.pdf

Whereabouts are you?

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Nottingham, so have the Sherwood Pines trails not too far away (which is the 20mile jouney mentioned in my previous post).

Will look at the OS maps and those sites when I get home around 6.30... Only able to access the internet at work on my lunch..

I need to get in some serious saddle time, due to not riding a bike for ages, and this seat being far smaller than my previous bikes', I was walking a little like john wayne after I got to work... Never a good look Laughing

The bike is a GT Avalanche 3.0.. Google Image pic:
https://gripcycles.co.uk/shop/images/GT%20Avalanche%203.0%20cable.jpg

It's handled my 15minute journey fine this morning, I'm impressed with it as the gear changes are really smooth compared to my last bike and the brakes are sharp as hell. Got the back wheel in the air a few times at traffic lights Cool lol..

The Maxxis stock tyres on it are pretty dismall, not good for the on-road stuff at all.. Took my hands off the bars for around 5seconds and started to watch them do a tankslapper motion... Will be getting some slicks for the commute to work, and likely to put the off-roads back on at the weekend for the off-road bits.

Any recommendations for some decent slicks? On my last bike I had some ebay special slicks, they were ok but not very confidence inspiring with their lack of grip in the wet.. I'd prefere a 1.35"~1.75" tyre, bike has a 2.35" off-road on it, which should be fine for any off-roading I wanna take on at the moment.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 29 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvchimp wrote:
I live in Nottingham, so have the Sherwood Pines trails not too far away (which is the 20mile jouney mentioned in my previous post).

Will look at the OS maps and those sites when I get home around 6.30... Only able to access the internet at work on my lunch..

I need to get in some serious saddle time, due to not riding a bike for ages, and this seat being far smaller than my previous bikes', I was walking a little like john wayne after I got to work... Never a good look Laughing

The bike is a GT Avalanche 3.0.. Google Image pic:
https://gripcycles.co.uk/shop/images/GT%20Avalanche%203.0%20cable.jpg

It's handled my 15minute journey fine this morning, I'm impressed with it as the gear changes are really smooth compared to my last bike and the brakes are sharp as hell. Got the back wheel in the air a few times at traffic lights Cool lol..

The Maxxis stock tyres on it are pretty dismall, not good for the on-road stuff at all.. Took my hands off the bars for around 5seconds and started to watch them do a tankslapper motion... Will be getting some slicks for the commute to work, and likely to put the off-roads back on at the weekend for the off-road bits.

Any recommendations for some decent slicks? On my last bike I had some ebay special slicks, they were ok but not very confidence inspiring with their lack of grip in the wet.. I'd prefere a 1.35"~1.75" tyre, bike has a 2.35" off-road on it, which should be fine for any off-roading I wanna take on at the moment.

We're coming up to summer mate, have a think about semi-slicks with knobbles on the edges. They'll handle most dry and dusty trails just fine unless you're trying to break the record at Fort William. Throw the proper knobblies on when its a bit muckier.

You're a bit far from the shire, loads of decent trails round here. If you can, get yourself over to Coed-y-Brenin. Mountainbiking nirvana Laughing

njd27
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:37 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvchimp wrote:

Could be you don't have them pumped up enough - try about 40-45psi for on-road stuff. I find the 2.35" tyres are far too wide for off-road, though, unless it's rocky terrain with lots of drops. I use Panaracer Trailraker 1.8s or Cinder 1.95s which are much better for cutting down through the (more typical in the UK) mud.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Off-Road cycle trails/routes Reply with quote

Remember no numberplate and people generally don't moan at you for riding on footpaths anyway Wink.

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:50 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little far to bike to but not in a motor wwith bike on board, theres cannock chase just north of birmingham, i used to go to a place next to what used to be r.a.f chicksands in bedfordshire, brilliant forest trails with a slalom section,

or as t121anf suggests

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/england-cycling

the best thing to do is fill a bag with goodies

(food water plasters beers ((weed)) mobile phone)

and hit the dirt therre always little gems close by you just need to get 'on yer bike' and find them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1