Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Common forum questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Help, Guides & FAQs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 21:24 - 18 Jan 2004    Post subject: Common forum questions Reply with quote

If you are new to internet forums you should read the standard phpBB FAQ to start you off. The questions in this thread are more specific to BCF.

Q) What is karma?
A) You'll be wanting to read this.

Q) What are post ratings?
A) You'll also be wanting to read this.

Q) What are relationships?
A) When you view another user's profile, you're given the option of changing your relationships with that user. People you designate as friends have access to your personal details field, which you can edit in your profile. Setting somebody as an enemy will hide all their posts from you.

Q) Why should I enter my postcode / birthday into my profile
A) Giving the forum your postcode will turn on location features, such as giving you your own dot on the BCF map, and your own mini map on your profile page. Your postcode is only available to you, so no double glazing salesmen will come round. If you tell the forum when you were born, it'll stick your birthday into the calendar, and mention it on the front page "events" box if you have enough karma.

Q) Why should I fill out the personal details box in my profile?
A) You can use this box to enter your address, mobile number, next of kin, whatever. It's only available to users who you designate as friends using the relationships system. The idea is people who you trust have access to your contact details, in case they want to or need to get in touch 'in real life'. View your own profile to see what it looks like.

Q) How does karma work?
A) No really, read the guide. It's pretty much all there.

Q) Why is the map button greyed out?
A) Because that bits isn't quite done yet. Relax.

Last edited by Korn on 01:22 - 28 Dec 2004; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:27 - 18 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q) Why do I keep having to un-hide posts?
A) Because those posts either have a low rating or the poster has bad karma. You can turn both of these options off in the ignore list part of your profile. If you never want posts hidden, turn off both options and don't set any users as enemies.

Q) Can I turn off avatars / signatures?
A) Yes, if you don't want to see other people's avatars / sigs there are two settings for this in your profile, use the force!

Q) Why do I keep getting a popup window telling me I have a private message?
A) Funnily enough, there's an option to turn this off in... your profile. Some people seem to like the popup.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 02:23 - 19 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q) Why Does my Profile Say I Have {number} Enemies?
A) Obviously some people don't get on very well with you. All the users who consider you an enemy are listed at the bottom of your profile page, the quickest way to find out why they have set you as an enemy is to ask them...

Q) Why Do I Get Popup Ads?
A) BCF has never had and will never have any popup ads. Your PC is most likely infected with scumware applications that are showing the ads while you use your browser. You can get a piece of software to remove these applications from here.

Q) Why Do the Unread Markers Not Update When I Use My Back Button?
A) The page you see when you use the back button is cached by your browser, hitting F5 to refresh the page will show the correct markers. To avoid this, do not use the back and forward buttons - instead navigate by using the various links back to pages.

Q) Why Do the Unread Markers Not Reset When I Log Out?
A) The unread markers on BCF behave differently to usual phpBB forums, you can use the mark all topics read button at the top of forum listings or the mark all forums read button at the bottom of the front page to reset your markers.

Last edited by Korn on 15:22 - 20 May 2004; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 05:00 - 19 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q) Why Am I an "L Plate Warrior", etc?
A) That's your title. When you first join you start off with a weedy one then progress up the ranks the longer you're here. Titles are only a bit of fun, so don't take them too seriously.

Q) Some People Have Custom Titles, How Do I Get One?
A) Custom titles are handed out whenever I feel like it, there's no requirements to fill for getting one - although making an amusing spectacle of yourself at a BCF meet is certainly considered the fast-track option.

Q) I Submitted A Link But It Hasn't Show Up, What Gives?
A) You'll need to take that up with Kickstart. It possible your link was not appropriate or is still waiting in the queue to be reviewed, why not wait a little longer?

Q) I Submitted An Event But It's Not On The Calendar, Huh?
A) You'll need to take that up with Bendy. It's possible your event hasn't been looked over for approval yet, or it simply wasn't appropriate to appear on the calendar.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 15:26 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q) Why doesn't my Birthday show up?
A) To avoid being swamped, birthdays are only shown for users who have at least 3 green karma blobs. Aditionally, the "Upcoming Events" box on the front page will only show today's birthdays.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Help, Guides & FAQs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1