Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MCE Insurance - Dirty Tricks?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dirty-tricks-mce
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:46 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: MCE Insurance - Dirty Tricks? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had these sinful acts thrust upon them.

I took bike insurance out with MCE on the 8th April 2011. The cost was £142, I pay monthly so it was going to cost me £176 in total. I purchased this cover online and received policy docs through email.

Seven days later I get my instalments / credit agreement telling me I now have to pay £193.86.

I could have gone mental, wait I did. So using the number on the top of MCE's letter, was I put through to MCE? Nope - the insurer. They said, "no good talking to us, speak to MCE". I thought I was as it was MCE's cover letter, stating there address and signed MCE.

Oh well, so I spoke to MCE eventually and the guy said, yes its crap that they have done that but I'll put you through to customer services... ring.. ring..ring.. 20 mins later I hungup. Tried next day, same happened, tried next day, same happened. So I sent them an email, haven't heard back yet.

So my question is, have the **** at MCE tried this on with anyone else and if so what dates roughly did this happen.

Cheers
Danny

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:08 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used MCE for three years now, not troubles, usually get through to the customer services pretty quickly too, and they are nice people to talk to.
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

Acemastr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've signed up to this forum, with that name, to spread your hate of MCE?

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent ALOT of time on the phone to MCE. They are useless cunts.

Save your money though.

saynotto0870: 01933 356066
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was riding my mums bike last year and got pulled by the fuzz for a random check. I was insured to ride other bikes third party only as part of my MCE policy. the copper did the checks and said i wasnt covered for other bikes. so the pick up lorry came and the bike was seized.

I went home and checked my documents and it stated clearly i was insured to ride other bikes. So the next day i headed down to the station with documents in hand, the desk bod's wanted to ring MCE to make sure i was covered and to their amazment and mine they again said i wasnt covered (something about smallprint, but i couldnt see anything) I argued and argued for about an hour with the desk bods and insurers on the phone but they were having none of it. So off to fetch the bike with my mum as she was insured, payed the £180 to get it back.

At the time i had 9 points on my license so i was prepared to recieve the standard 6 points and massive fine, bye bye license.

Got in touch with some solicitors and set up an account and waited for my summons to arrive

After a few weeks had past with no news from the coppers i managed to calm down enough to ring the insurers and wanted to ask them how much it would be to add 'riding other bikes' to the policy and the woman said "It's already part of your policy sir"
WTF!!

So i made her double check with who ever was incharge and they confirmed it so i asked them to sent me proof to show the court and a few days later it came.

Never heard from the court or police, can only presume the court rang to check before the date was set or something and found i was all legit.

Still £180 lighter though Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:39 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:

You can claim the costs back - though dont expect them to nake it easy for you.

Im guessing asking in writing, recorded, then if no responce a letter of intended action and small claims court would be the way to go, especially if you have a letter from insurers staing you were insured at the time

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:58 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can claim that money back from your insurers, they have a legal duty to put your insurance details on the motor insurers database within 7 days from the date you took your policy out and obviously the information must be correct.

I would write a formal letter of complaint to them and see what they say.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:

Save your money though.

Wish I'd had that in the summer. Changed my address in July, and after queuing for 40 mins before getting 'accidentally' hung up on, then queueing for another half hour to finish the job, I ended up with 20 quid of extra phone bill.

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
salty21 wrote:

You can claim the costs back - though dont expect them to nake it easy for you.

Im guessing asking in writing, recorded, then if no responce a letter of intended action and small claims court would be the way to go, especially if you have a letter from insurers staing you were insured at the time

i expected it to be a ball ache, that's why i didnt follow it up. Also at the time i was just overwhealmed with relief that i wasnt going to lose my license and honestly didn't care about the money.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically check everything you do with MCE. They are cheap, but muppets

Legsy.
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a policy with these a couple of years ago. No matter how many times I called them to complain, they never bothered to put me on the motor insurance database, despite me being fully insured with them.

I always carry my docs in my bike jacket pocket nowadays..

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:

Save your money though.

That telephone number code is in my area Laughing offices are right opposite waitrose where i work Very Happy

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legsy. wrote:
I had a policy with these a couple of years ago. No matter how many times I called them to complain, they never bothered to put me on the motor insurance database, despite me being fully insured with them.

I always carry my docs in my bike jacket pocket nowadays..

Aren't they required to do so by law, within 7 days?

Stelmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:
i was riding my mums bike last year and got pulled by the fuzz for a random check. I was insured to ride other bikes third party only as part of my MCE policy. the copper did the checks and said i wasnt covered for other bikes. so the pick up lorry came and the bike was seized.

I went home and checked my documents and it stated clearly i was insured to ride other bikes. So the next day i headed down to the station with documents in hand, the desk bod's wanted to ring MCE to make sure i was covered and to their amazment and mine they again said i wasnt covered (something about smallprint, but i couldnt see anything) I argued and argued for about an hour with the desk bods and insurers on the phone but they were having none of it. So off to fetch the bike with my mum as she was insured, payed the £180 to get it back.

At the time i had 9 points on my license so i was prepared to recieve the standard 6 points and massive fine, bye bye license.

Got in touch with some solicitors and set up an account and waited for my summons to arrive

After a few weeks had past with no news from the coppers i managed to calm down enough to ring the insurers and wanted to ask them how much it would be to add 'riding other bikes' to the policy and the woman said "It's already part of your policy sir"
WTF!!

So i made her double check with who ever was incharge and they confirmed it so i asked them to sent me proof to show the court and a few days later it came.

Never heard from the court or police, can only presume the court rang to check before the date was set or something and found i was all legit.

I'm with MCE and my covernote says I can ride other bikes. However, last renewal I thought to check and they said I wasn't covered.

I phoned the actual insurer who said I was, MCE still said I wasn't. A couple of months later I phoned to see how much it'll cost to cancel the policy. £200. I asked again and to my surprise they said I am allowed to ride other bikes.

I'm not chancing it though. Renewal is in November and i'm not renwewing. I can get it £100 cheaper elsewhere.

dirty-tricks-mce
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:06 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you've signed up to this forum, with that name, to spread your hate of MCE?

Well I think there is a bigger issue than just me being pissed off.
I was wondering if this had gone on with others because it's far from acceptable what they did to me.

Of course, if you are the sort of person to put up with crap like that then I guess you won't agree.

I have still had no contact with MCE after half a dozen attempts and frankly the cheap costs of their insurance are obviously made up on their phone calls. Wankers!

WHy should I pay for a 20 min on hold call to speak to someone who hasn't a clue what they are talking about just so they can say I'll put you through to another department. 40 mins later you still haven't got anywhere.

If you cancel your policy they try and charge you fees, if they keep you waiting online they rake in the money, so any problems they 'purposely' cause actually creates them money.Win Win Situation for MCE. It's dirty, it's plain wrong, and I'm waiting for their reply from a letter I've sent them.

EIght weeks I have to wait for an acceptable response otherwise it's going to the ombudsman.

Furthermore, I spoke to my brother at the weekend and he told me last year he was with MCE. He paid outright for a multi-bike policy online. 5 days later his letter came and said that he owed a further £90 for some additional legal protection that he never took.
He paid for the services he choose online at checkout time.

So either there systems have minds of their own or they are just very dodgy try-it-on insurance company. The web is a powerful tool and can damage a companies reputation severely if done in the right way. They should think carefully before ripping people off.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can write to the insurance ombudsman but it will take ages for a result.
As stated, MCE are a bunch is discourteous, unprofessional, disrespectful and they excel at incompetence CUNTS.

They tried to skunk me for thirty quid in January of this year but the lassie at Moneysupermarket sorted them out for me.
(I was going to visit their offices and show them my 2lb engineer's ball pein hammer otherwise.) Evil or Very Mad

imanupstart
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:03 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem insuring my KTM. Over the course of a week I recieved about 3/4 letters, each telling me I was paying a different ammount of money. It varied from about £1 more to iirc ~£100 more. I phoned them up and all they said was its an error, just ignore it.... Rolling Eyes

Cancelled the policy and won't be using them again Thumbs Up

devojunior
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my full license unrestricted,i had a gilera runner on a policy with mce which i sold,then bought an aprillia sr 125 which is also a scooter.

when the aprillia was stolen i was offered a gsxr cheap so i ctried to call mce but struggled to get through and when i did i was told this isnt a policy for bikes just 125s and was told to go get ANY 125 or cancel my policy and pay some stupid fees.

so i got a cheap 125 supermoto style thing and called them up to transfer the bike onto the policy, i was then told you cannot insure this bike with us as the poilcy you took out was a scooter only policy so as you can imagine i was fuming total bunch of divs.

if i wanted a scooter policy it would be fine but i planed to get rid of the scooter for a bike.

just my rant.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:00 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCE offered the cheapest policy by £100. I went with Carol Nash due to the dodgy stuff I have read about MCE (not just on this forum).

You should get a basic service, forgetting to send docs or even set up insurance is unforgivable really (which MCE seem to do quite often).

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny thing is, i still renewed with them after all the hassle they caused me, im proper tight though and they were the cheapest Laughing .

anyone else notice that if you ring the number for new quotes and renewals you pretty much get straight through Confused

dgo1212
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:

anyone else notice that if you ring the number for new quotes and renewals you pretty much get straight through Confused

Pretty much the same with most companies, when I ring sky to report a problem, which is a regular occurance they hold for ages when you select the faulty products option, I've learnt that if you press number 3, the "if you are thinking of leaving sky" option they answer within seconds, they get confused when I press number 3 and ask to pay my bill over the phone Very Happy

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:21 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI

MCE are probably the worst insurance company ive ever delt with, if you pay your policy monthy on credit, they will screw you over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dirty-tricks-mce
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:49 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it wouldn't be just me.

I think i'll wait for renewal time and just quick them forever.

Hopefully they'll go bust... wankers.

Thing is, they make simple stuff into rocket science.
I've been insuring vehicles in general for over 15 years and never, ever had problems. All the companies I've dealt with have been efficient, competent and helpful.

With any real luck I won't have to make a claim, that could possibly be the worst scenario ever... EVER!

Can't imagine how bad they would fuck that up.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the principle and all that...

But you're £18 out of pocket over 12 months.

Personally, I'd just decide that it's not worth my time complaining for the sake of the cost of tank of fuel (how many hours have you spent already?), and get out on the bike instead.

SuzukiTom
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 18 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive not been happy with their customer service, long hold times and 'Administration' charges for things. overall the package was quite good and the price was alright but as a service - not so hot really
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2