37%
 37%  [ 12 ]
Option 2
62%
 62%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 32

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 03:51 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Unread Markers Reply with quote

Option 1:
a.k.a There are posts in this forum which you haven't read
  1. Visit index page
  2. Notice marker for General Chat is lit.
  3. Open general chat, notice new threads
  4. Go back to index without reading all of them
  5. Notice marker is still lit

Option 2:
a.k.a There are posts in this forum which you haven't read since you last looked
  1. Visit index page
  2. Notice marker for General Chat is lit.
  3. Open general chat, notice new threads
  4. Go back to index without reading all of them
  5. Notice marker is still not lit anymore
Which do you want?
Any why? If you don't know what I'm talking about please don't vote.

Last edited by Korn on 18:55 - 21 Feb 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:48 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

2nd option please (although if it could be an option that each person could select then that would be even better).

Otherwise there could easily be a thread that you have read (say, without being logged on) and so do not want to read again yet which means that forum is still showing unread messages. Clicking on "mark all...." is OK, except that Murphys law strikes and there will be several threads entered between you getting the screen up and pressing that link (especially if you are like me on 56k, and open up several windows at once so that they can download the threads while you are viewing one, to save waiting).

All the best

Keith

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it really anoying when I'm viewing the forum and then my internet connection goes down (usually becuase of these stupid new fangled wireless networks Rolling Eyes ). Anyway when I eventually get back on the site everything is marked as read Confused

I would prefer option 1 but so that you can mark all topics as read...kinda like it is already Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 11:39 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 2 please. That's the way it was before. Smile

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:35 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:

Nope, it wasn't. Also Ginger: does it still do this? Cos, erm, it shouldn't anymore Eh?

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Major_Grooves wrote:

Nope, it wasn't. Also Ginger: does it still do this? Cos, erm, it shouldn't anymore Eh?

Yeah sorry. Embarassed I meant like what I and Keith mentioned in the other thread; when you leave the entire forum and then log back on the only flagged threads are ones that have been added to since you left, instead of having to mark all forums read once you have finished a session.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:21 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second please Smile

Or you could even make it an option in profiles maybe? Razz

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1NGER_one wrote:
I find it really anoying when I'm viewing the forum and then my internet connection goes down (usually becuase of these stupid new fangled wireless networks Rolling Eyes ). Anyway when I eventually get back on the site everything is marked as read Confused

I would prefer option 1 but so that you can mark all topics as read...kinda like it is already Wink

Yeah that used to happen to me, you'd close the window and when you came back all posts were marked as read. Since the new BCF has come about i haven't had this, so i'd say go for option b.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it an option please!

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 22 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Major_Grooves wrote:

Yeah it works well like it is now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 15:07 - 23 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer option 2 just because I don't normally follow all the threads in a given section. At the moment the post icon always seems to be there, after leaving the forum.

I thought how it was to start with was cool. Penny Coin Penny Coin

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 16:15 - 23 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 2 because this forum is getting bigger and I can't keep up, therefore I have to ignore lots of posts before it drives me insane!

This may It makes me look like i've read the posts and I feel happy with myself, which is of course of up most importance!

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboJ wrote:
because this forum is getting bigger and I can't keep up, therefore I have to ignore lots of posts before it drives me insane!

Agreed. Smile

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 1 please. I hate it when my crappy 56k connection cuts me off and when I log back in I lose my markers. Leaving the markers there means I can read the bits I think might interest me then hit the 'mark all posts as read' at the top.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 20:05 - 23 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stew wrote:
Option 1 please. I hate it when my crappy 56k connection cuts me off and when I log back in I lose my markers. Leaving the markers there means I can read the bits I think might interest me then hit the 'mark all posts as read' at the top.

Your unread markers wouldn't reset when you logged out / connection died.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:33 - 01 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could me not have an option in the profile so that we can select which rules it uses for marking things read/not read?

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 11:48 - 04 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Id say option 2 the way it was before, too many yellow dots arghhhhh!

Luke
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1