Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replacement rear shock for GPZ500S

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 11 May 2011    Post subject: Replacement rear shock for GPZ500S Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a 1996 GPZ500S, I'm going to put it back on the road and in the process turn it into a naked bike as most of the front faring is missing.
I'd like to raise the back end as it sits very low (my last bike was a 2010 ZX6R). I know the handling wont be brilliant but can anyone recommend a replacement shock that would fit without too much work?
I was hoping to get something off ebay which would hopefully have a bit more travel in it or at least be longer than the standard GPZ shock.

Has anyone done this mod themselves?
Would I also need to drop the yoke down the forks a tiny bit to maintain some form of reasonable handling or is it not work messing with the front?
I've got Hagon springs to fit and will go for thicker fork oil to try to take out the softness from the front end.

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look on eBay
I got a set of dogbones that raised the rear end about an inch for a LOT less than a rear shock would cost
IIRC I got the set for about £17
(also greased the linkage and bearings whilst I was in there)

Still sits OK on the sidestand, but can be a bit sketchy on the centerstand if not 100% level ground (makes chain and wheel alignment tinkering and cleaning duty slightly more hassle if you don't have a paddock stand handy)

Worth searching for Dads's and Fogs posts on EX-500.com
Tell em robocog sent you ....LOL

Regards
Rob

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:51 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a set of aftermarket dog-bones on my last GPZ but it didn't do much to help the ride of the bike. There wasn't much travel in the shock. I tried fitting a secondhand shock I found with a seperate reservoir but it had different fittings at the bottom.
Will a shock from a ZX9R have the same fittings or any other bike that has more adjustment than the original shock?
Also I can't remember if they were shortened or lengthened dog-bones that raised the back up?
What is the minimum/maximum length giving the most lift that is possible/safe?

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:19 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked You offroading it?
Need to have a word with your council if you are bottoming it out on the road (and have the springrate and preload set remotely right) surely?

I noticed the difference immediately I fitted the dogbones
steering angle change made cornering feel a lot more reactive in a good way

Only time I got any straight line oddness (headshake) was when I relied on the swing arm markings after a chain tightenng session
(used some string last time I did it and fitted a scottoiler....so not had to adjust it since...but would never do it without the string thing again)

Going "too far" I would assume make it very nervous in a straight line....how far is too far?....I dunno...
Dropping the front end by moving the forks in the yokes will let you experiment to see how radical you can get with steering angles without having to strip down the rear end each time

still worth going on ex-500.com as theres a couple of guys that have done all there is to do steering and suspension wise on these commuters and possibly could tell you what they found was "too far"

(IIRC "Dad" did a very good writeup in getting the suspension setup/dialled in and "Fog" used to race them...so between them they have pretty much exhausted all the mods available in that department)

IIRC the "ultimate rear shock" (works?) is quite rare and chuffing pricey
It would also involve more expense on getting the front to work properly

..would be a complete waste for me considering that I am a newbie to 2 wheels and I mainly just pootle to work and back on it and the occasional ride out for fun and use it as a commuter with no pretence otherwise

(bearing in mind my previous bikes have been a CG125 and a CJ360t from 1976...this GPZ handles leap years ahead of anything else I have ever been on, I imaging getting on a bike that was designed in the 90's or heaven forbid something more recent I would laugh at the GPZ's handling)

Other rears that will fit?
IIRC the SV rear can be made to fit without too much work and also raises the rear end a bit
Don't recall reading anything else is as easy to bolt on

Fog sells the dogbones and could /possibly/ tell you what dimensions they are for what height differences and what the optimum dog bone length is to ensure proper shock stroke / leverage ratio etc

I can no longer login to ex-500.com as I'm banned so cannot look any of this stuff up for you and I'm working from my unreliable memory

Regards
Rob

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:38 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob

You've been most helpful.

My last bike was a '10 ZX6R so I'm used to something with a bit more of a race stance to it.
I completely forgot I had the GPZ sat at my parents house with most of the front faring missing so to cure my two wheel withdrawal symptoms I'm putting it back on the road as cheaply aas possible!

I intend to fit a single digital clock (if I can find one) and a single or twin headlight and try to hide every possible wire in either braided hoses or something similar to get it to look like a subtle naked bike.
I don't want it to be a mad streetfighter look but would like a little more rear height.

I used to be 17st so the bike sat pretty low, I've got down to 12st for the last 2 years so I'm thinking the GPZ might cope with my weight better!

I've got Hagon fork springs to fit to the front end which have sat in my parents shed since I bought them for the last GPZ I had.
Hopefully those combined with a different rear monoshock with longer travel and dog-bones will give it a more agressive stance without it being impossible to keep it upright!

I used to have horrible wobble from the front end to the point where I hunted for a steering damper (unsuccessfully) but I only used to adjust the rear chain using the markers on the swing arm so I'll make sure I use the string technique next time!

Thanks again for your help

Duncan
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1