Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

250 in a 125 frame... Mot time, Whoopsie.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:21 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: 250 in a 125 frame... Mot time, Whoopsie. Reply with quote

Hey Chaps I'm Posting for my friend Ryan.. He's Just Bought a Reiju 125 Mrx Off of Gumtree, It's got a 250 Motor cross engine But still Registered as a 125 on the Logbook.. It needs a little work but he's wondering how it will go through mot? Do they Check engine size

His Friend told him If it says 125cc on the logbook and 250cc on the barrel they will fail it.. but my friends tell me other things lol

Can anyone confirm this? I know it's illegal ive told him..

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:32 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be dodgy and grind the engine number off and replace with the 125 engine number.

Although would look very suspicious...

Take it hes riding on a CBT...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most don't even check the frame number let alone the engine number. You don't even legally need an engine number/cc size stamped into the barrel.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:23 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing in the MOT regs about the engine, and you don't have to show a V5C so there's no particular reason for them to care.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't bother looking at the engine/frame number, long as you take the V5/old MOT with you.

I never had mine, so they had to take them off the bike.

Shouldn't be a problem though, just grind off the '249cc' plate on the engine.

Out of curiosity, does the engine number on the V5 match the engine number on the engine?

Anyway, if he's on a CBT, it's not the MOT i'd be worried about. It's when he gets stopped and they check it up, as they do with learner bikes, and find that he's riding a 250 on a CBT. That's no insurance, no license, and the bike's gone.

Dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:28 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:
Anyway, if he's on a CBT, it's not the MOT i'd be worried about. It's when he gets stopped and they check it up, as they do with learner bikes, and find that he's riding a 250 on a CBT. That's no insurance, no license, and the bike's gone.

Wont just be riding other than in accordance with licence & nullified insurance.
Bike, 'other than described on log book', NOW gets treated as a 'ringer', or 'unsafe' vehicle, which means unlike lack of insurance where they can simply confiscate and hold vehicle, until you, or some one with insurance reclaims it, they can confiscate and instantly crush.
Depending on extent of mods, to fit bigger engine, it might demand a VOSA construction inspection, but, fitting the bigger engine to a 125 would warrant at LEAST a VOSA identity inspection, to confirm registration at the new capacity and the taxation class.
WHICH is the kicker.....
Leaving it as a 125 on the V5, you will be paying £16 annual road Fund Duty, as a 250, it would warrant the higher tax bracket, which I cant remember prices or thresholds for OTMH...
Riding WITHOUT a 'valid tax disc' is one offence.... and again, instant grounds for vehicle siezure, and crushing if fines and retrospective tax until whenever they see fit isn't paid.
Riding a bike with a tax disc for a lower duty rating, would be like a pub, selling whisky as beer, and paying the Duty on the lower alchohol content beer, rather than the distilate... Hence not merely NOT having tax, but actualy intent to defraud tax man.... for which they can impose prison sentenses and HUGE fines, as well as take and destroy the vehicle.
Pretty seriouse stuff, if it got picked up on......

Also that Rieju thingamybobs, tend not to be that durable even with low powered CG copy engines in them, and a full on, propper Japanese MX bike engine of 250cc, even an old one would likely make more power than 33bhp licence holders are allowed to have.... and in lightweight Rieju frame, likely to be illegal on 33bhp restrict even with a 25bhp motor on it due to power to weight limits... so its probably mot likely to see much use ANYWAY...

And bottom line.... ask your mate who he things he's kidding?

If he wants a fast bike, get licence and have one legally!

No one will be impressed by an unreliable off road mongrel, that is fairly spectacular compared to a CG.... when it works..... but compared to a propper, big capacity dirt bike, that has the chassis and cycle parts to HANDLE the power, its all rather banal....

And its hardly the work of some huge criminal cunning to get away with something?!?

any-one can lay thier hands on a big bike and ride it without a licence or valid insurance, and run teh risk of getting cought.

And if you want to do that, risks of getting cought having all teh fun that cold be had on an R6 or something are actually LESS than a hybrid mongrell 'ringer' pretending to be a 125, and the consequences actually less as well!

So for all the criminal genius, and all teh risks, whats the gain?

A few speed kicks, and saving £121.50 on and maybe three or four hours, to take and pass the ruddy tests!

He may think its a great laugh... and it is... Laughing but I'm laughing AT him, not with him, I'm afraid!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

reggie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:58 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it with my dt got impounded 2 times got it back every time

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all that then BAM comment underneath...^ Laughing Laughing

reggie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:40 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason the bike got impounded was because ther was no engine numbers and the fuzz suspected it to be stolen

they had it inspected aparently never said a thing about the size

in the eyes whats the difrence to a tinny 2 stroke 125 and a 250

as for the power how many pepole drive around on 50cc that go over 30 and full power rs 125s etc

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:30 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a bit of difference between a road going 125cc and a MX 250cc. The brutal power delivery on my KX 250 always used to keep me on edge offroad and i would imagine it to be a handful with on road conditions and an 'L' plater.

It's just as illegal as all the above but you open up a whole new can of worms with excise offences involving HMRC, registration offences involving DVLA etc. Why would you want to bother when the above are always looking to make examples out of people.

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:36 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoke to him but he's still going to do it, He Spent £475 on the bike I got more Info on it now

It's a 2005 Reiju mrx 125 Frame
With a 2007 Honda CR250F MX engine (I'm led to Believe puts out Upwards of 30bhp

Everything Works, Electrics,Lights etc Just needs Rear Pads and a Rear Tyre (Obviously someone has been Sliding it around a field)

It's a 125 on the logbook (He's got that now) and there is a Plain Metal Plate Welded on the side of the engine ( I guess to cover up the 250ccm )

He wants to put one of those Power Commander Units on it and a Full exhaust System..

He Knows It Illegal But he's big enough to Face the consequence's if he does get Pulled by the Police and Checked out, Ill Gladly update this Thread if he does for All your amusement but none the less I get to have a ride of this Bike Offroad anyway (So he sais) =P

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a case of "when" and not "if" he gets pulled.

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:

Disagree.

It's a 50/50 Chance of him Getting Pulled, I rode around on a De-restricted Scooter for 6 months Got a SP30 for 42 in a 30 Limit and Genuinely didn't Realize as it was a Temporary limit and Normally a 50. The Police Didn't Mention Anything about the 31mph limit

My Friends all Rode around With Kitted up Aerox's at 16 My Friend has a RS125 with a 172 Kit Unrestricted and still has.

At the end of The day it's still Wrong Maybe Riding a 250 in a 125 is Alot more Dangerous as De-restricted Ped but they both carry the same Consequences.

I Completely disagree with the 31mph limit it's dangerous i would have had to Rag my scooter up a 60mph Duel Carriageway at 30mph to get to college every morning.
It was dangerous at 45mph unrestricted i couldn't imagine it being even LEGAL at 30mph

All those New riders that Get forced Into the Curb by Impatient Pedal maniacs that (Have to do more than the speed limit)

My Friend Was on a Restricted Suzuki AP50 doing his 30mph in a 40 When a BMW driver came up behind him fast tried to stop but smashed in to the back at him at 50 He Flew off the bike Broke His Arm/Leg/knee and couldn't walk for 3 months He also had the skin off his back Re-Graphted as it Ripped Through his Cheap Leather Jacket Because he Spent his Money on getting his Ped Restricted by a Garage

Oh and As for getting caught ANPR system are going to scan your Plate See it's Insured in your name as a 125.. Maybe pull you over check your the Registered owner and Let you on your way as long as they don't clock you at 90mph Wizzing down a motorway you should be fine and quite frankly if your doing 90mph you Deserve to be Nicked

Disagree with me all you want It's still How It works and for the record i'm still getting a 125cc 4 stroke that doesn't make more than 14.1BHP Because 70mph is fine.

You Do get Silly People Who Ride Unrestricted Peds/Bike's just so they can rag it at top speed in a 30 The Reason i was unrestricted is so i was Comfortable and not Pissing other people off.

This Will Probably cause a full scale argument This is just some of my Opinions on what i have seen in my very (Short) biking Lifestyle

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:55 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will get caught, He will get buggered, He will get cocky and twat a car, insurance will take his arse and royally pummel it when they see he has no insurance Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:51 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
He will get caught, He will get buggered, He will get cocky and twat a car, insurance will take his arse and royally pummel it when they see he has no insurance Laughing

Hang on chinky bike with a 30bhp MX motor....
I think he'll get pulled....
probably out of a hedge, canal, brick wall...
I mean those things have a reputation for snapping swing arm spindles riding over speed bumps, and wheels collapsing if you sneeze too loudly.... and thats with the reduced power chinese copy CG motor in them......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:54 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Hang on chinky bike with a 30bhp MX motor....

Spanish bike. Although possibly worse is that I think it is basically their 50cc chassis.

All the best

Keith

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:56 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CRF 250 puts out BHP in the 30's

He is going to have to learn throttle control of the highest order as MX engines deliver their power in a kind of all or nothing way and the 4 strokes have brutal low down torque.I hope when he is concentrating on all the other things going on that he doesn't lose sight of this.

While I don't agree with some of the current legislation it's the law and you've got to be some type of n*bhead to put a 250 engine in a 125.

It sounds different
The engine looks bigger
That welded plate won't look suspicious at all.....

I can guarantee that once the initial nerves disappear he will be riding like a cocky boi who has a 250 engine in his 125. He will get stopped as not only will he be riding like a n*b but he will have no 'L' plates on a bike that looks like it needs them. I also hope his 50cc frame can handle the power of a fully fledged MX engine without snapping and twisting.

At best I hope he is ready for a world of pain , £425 is about a quarter of what his insurance will go up when he is caught. At worst please make him get an organ donor card.

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:16 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Not going to Argue with what anyones said because Frankly it's all true but yeah ill update it if anything happens lol..

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227668_1767287180356_1184473155_31652036_7646779_n.jpg

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 01 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipsmoker wrote:
I'm Not going to Argue with what anyones said because Frankly it's all true but yeah ill update it if anything happens lol..

Lipsmoker wrote:
Paxovasa wrote:

Disagree.

It's a 50/50 Chance of him Getting Pulled,

Make your mind up......

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:34 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
Lipsmoker wrote:

Lipsmoker wrote:
Paxovasa wrote:

Disagree.

It's a 50/50 Chance of him Getting Pulled,

Make your mind up......

I Told My Opinion on what You said then Said I'm not going to argue Because what you said/other's is true

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 07:00 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play on the bike! I love engine swaps etc.
Would be cool to just do it legally, and inform the DVLA. They shouldn't question it, just send the V5 back with the new Engine number and CC on it. And you'll get it back a couple of weeks later. End of.

Nothing wrong with the MRX. I used to have an SMX from Moto-Roma. Identical bikes basically.
The frames, They are stupidly strong.
As long as the conversion was done properly, it should be fine.

The MOT wont be affected by the engine either. The only thing they really check is that the bike is safe. If the engine looks like it's about to drop out, it'll fail.
If it's done well, it'll pass.

Here's my old hybrid...

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/25880_387434410605_506045605_3824646_8184333_n.jpg

PROPER Chinese frame from Stomp. Laughing
Shoe-horned a Yamaha TZR125 2RK engine in there. Granted, I did all relative upgrades too. Like KTM65 forks, Brembo brakes, billet swinger etc.
But it was still a 26bhp motor, in a frame which once he'd a 3bhp 125 pit bike engine.

Strange that I didn't really get any haters when I made my build thread on that. :\

Good luck I say. And get some more pictures!

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

same, i never got any bad karma when fitting a 200cc atac lump into my mtx125....
alright i have a full licence, but the principals the same,it was 125 on the log book AND insurance.
cylinder DIDNT have the capacity stamped on the side, so just looked the same.
but produced double the intended bhp (tbh,i was only wanting the atac, but there impossible to find on 125cc) performed FAR better, with off the clock speeds....
i was stopped umpteen times by over zealous coppers (both standard plod & traffic nazis).
never once got any convictions or points. but was mainly stopped for doing handsignals, sometimes at night. (bike was made pre april 86) they werent clued up enough to tell the difference between 12bhp & 30bhp.

& im currently trying to shoehorn a 600cc single cylinder 4t (rotax604), into a rs125 chassis, ok, it will have beeffed up suspension etc but the frame itself will have realitively few modifications.
i always like to see different engines in different frames, upgraded forks etc.
why settle for bog standard?

ok, the whole cbt thing is a different argument, but come on, how many 35-45yr old riders didnt ride 250's with outragely tuned cylinders, bbks etc etc "back in the day"?
BEFORE we had cbt's, so were riding without any proper instruction, & there still a load of us here & still riding.....
i know i did...... all part of the learning process.

cheers,
GAZ

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:11 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Strange that I didn't really get any haters when I made my build thread on that. :\

Ben

Because you A - have a full licence and able to get the insurance.. and B - a road legal 125 2 stroke 25+hp pit bike is the bollocks Laughing

A bike with a 250 2t lump in it for a guy on a CBT is just Shocked

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
binge wrote:

Ben

Because you A - have a full licence and able to get the insurance.. and B - a road legal 125 2 stroke 25+hp pit bike is the bollocks Laughing

A bike with a 250 2t lump in it for a guy on a CBT is just Shocked

sorry Paddy, i disagree.....
when i started riding 250cc was learner legal & with no training whatsoever required.
ok, so its now illegal, but whats really changed? (apart from the law) 2t 250's still put out pretty much the same bhp, brakes have got better, so have the suspension, roads etc.
cheers,
GAZ

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:10 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

sorry Paddy, i disagree.....
when i started riding 250cc was learner legal & with no training whatsoever required.
ok, so its now illegal, but whats really changed? (apart from the law) 2t 250's still put out pretty much the same bhp, brakes have got better, so have the suspension, roads etc.
cheers,
GAZ

You forget. The advent of rapid 2-strokes is pretty much WHY they changed the law. Too many people hitting their 17th birthday then going straight out and stuffing a 250LC/X7 through a hedge.

The bike in question will probably fail its MOT on a cracked frame.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2