Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda XR 125 Downshifting Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:09 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Honda XR 125 Downshifting Problems Reply with quote

Evening All

My Honda XR 125 has developed a bit of a problem when downshifting.

On the way to work this morning when changing down I was having problems selecting a gear 5th-4th was ok, and most of the time so was 4th-3rd, but 3rd-2nd and 2nd-1st was a problem it pretty much refused to go into these gears when moving and even when at a stop I needed to knock the lever down a few times to get anything. It just feels slack/loose like theres nothing there.

It was the same on the way home this evening, the chain was a little bit loose so I tightened that and went out for a quick ride this evening and it is still the same.

Apart from a couple of tight spots in the chain (which have been there since I have owned the bike) the chain and sprockets look ok.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Cheers

Jon

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing gear when not moving is hard. Try letting the clutch out between gear changes and see if that helps. Another problem might be clutch adjustment, it might be constantly slightly engaged. Other problems might be the gear selector linkage, worn selector drum of selector forks. But those last 2 are unlikely unless it's a high milage bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick replies.

The bike has only done just over 5k, 1k of them in my relatively gentle, mechanically sympathetic ownership Smile and the problem has only just started so I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.

I'll check the clutch adjustment tomorrow.

Cheers

Jon
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of grease on the moving bits is always a good idea. Not because they generate a huge amount of friction, but because they can rust and seize up. An engine oil change can be useful too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:50 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Yup, this would be the first thing I'd check. When you press down on the lever, make sure there's not too much play and the lever doesn't foul on anything.

The levers not fouling on anything, what is considered reasonable play in the lever? There doesn't appear to be anymore play in it that when i got the bike, but then if it's been gradually getting slacker I wouldn't have noticed.

Cheers

Jon

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tight/loose is your chain?

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:53 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
A bit of grease on the moving bits is always a good idea. Not because they generate a huge amount of friction, but because they can rust and seize up. An engine oil change can be useful too.

Cheers. I'll give everything a grease when I check the clutch adjustment tomorrow. I changed the oil about 200-300 hundred miles ago.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalky. wrote:
How tight/loose is your chain?

The chain has a couple of tight spots which are adjusted to the lower limit specified in the manual (20mm) the rest of the chain is somewhere between that and 30mm (the upper end of the limit).

Cheers

Jon
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Does the gear lever have a linkage between it and the gear selecter shaft?

You don't want much more than 5mm movement at the end of the lever before it moves the shaft.

I'm pretty sure it's bolted straight onto the shaft, but will check in a min when I go out for a smoke.

Cheers

Jon

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:36 - 18 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
If it does, forget all the above. Odds are the selector fork is either worn or bent. Possibly down to too much rough treatment in the past.

No linkage (pic attached) so if adjusting the clutch doesn't work I will have to look into the selector fork, how big a job is it?

Cheers

Jon

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:03 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Vincent.

Unfortunately Haynes don't do a manual for my bike and the Honda ones nearly never come up on eBay, so I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the £30 for one.

Hopefully that will have some trouble shooting tips.

Cheers

Jon
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:19 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long since the last oil change?
That engine actually needs fairly frequent oil changes I believe thanks to a low oil capacity - sometimes old oil can impede gear changes.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:22 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last oil change was about 200-300 miles ago.

Cheers

Jon

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:28 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be fine?
Presume there wasn't excessive amounts of swarf in the old oil?
Worth checking your level anyway (and for water) if you haven't recently.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:15 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was fine before, it was only yesterday the problem started, I used a semi synthetic oil, I think it was Comma stuff I'll check in a bit.

Could the oil cause the problem? I remember reading that Castrol Magnatech can cause clutch slip etc.

Cheers

Jon

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:20 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the bottle and the oil I used was Comma X-Flow it is a car oil but after reading many debates on here about what oils to use I decided that as it was free from work it would do.

I will try changing it to a bike specific oil and see if that helps.

Cheers

Jon

kingsknight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 19 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

change your oil then adjust your clutch. Your problem will be fixed!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2