BCF: Bike Chat Forums

af1 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Splash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: af1 125 Reply with quote

has anyone got some more information about the aprilia af1, because I'm about to buy one.
But I still need some more information (technical, history, possitive/negative...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:32 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith...

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Splash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on keith, I'm waithing for you Wink

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Europa version a good few years ago, oh those were the days. My first bike, great piece of Italian design, went like stink, well I thought so at the time. Unfortunately it went like stink into the side of a Metro, they don't last too long that way!

Keith is definitely the man, he's got about 17 in his garage, well, ok three or four. Is it going to be your main bike?

Splash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it is going to be my main bike. But I know a couple of thing about mechanics, so I can do the maintenance on the bike myself.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 23:35 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need a little tag that calls for Keith's assistance Very Happy

He is definately your man. He loves them, and his seem pretty nippy. I'm not too sure about how reliable they are though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
He is definately your man. He loves them, and...

...has about 5! Very Happy

Annabella

PostPosted: 23:42 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=McJamweasel]...has about 5... [/quote]

In assorted tubs and pots in his garage Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:45 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
I think we need a little tag that calls for Keith's assistance Very Happy

<superhero voice>" Look out Robin! Its the Keith Signal!" </superhero voice>

<sidekick voice> "Holy 2 -smoke Batman!"</sidekick voice>

Laughing

Annabella

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That combined with half a bottle of Tesco's cheapest Valpolicella has reduced me to tears. Live with me Marjay! Please! Amuse me Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:31 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Which model of AF1?

There is the original AF1 (black painted Rotax 127 engine, 16" 3 spoke wheels), the AF1 Sintesi (silver coloured Rotax 123 engine, 17" wheels, 7 spoke front and 9 spoke rear) and the AF1 Futura (17" 5 spoke wheels), as well as the Europa which was basically an unfaired Futura.

Not bad bikes. The original one has no counter balancer so the engine is rubber mounted. Rear tyre is now not easy to buy (think only Pirelli list that size any more). Top speed is about 94mph. Massive fuel tank (22 litres I think they claimed) and oil tank (1.8 litres). Steel frame. Single sided swinging arm. Fairly accurate fuel guage. Quite a comfy bike to ride long distances (very comfy for a 125).

The Sintesi has an alloy frame, smoother engine. Upside down forks. Top speed about 98mph (although they only made about 1hp more that the earlier bike). The early Sintesi had a fuel guage, the later ones lost the fuel gauge.

The Futura had an allow frame, similar to the Sintesi. Virtually the same engine, but using a 34mm carb rather than a 28mm carb. Wider wheels but the same size tyres. Top speed is about 1mph more than the Sintesi but they were 5~6hp up in power.

Engine parts are easy. Just buy them from Peter Knight on 0176 141 4106. The rest of the parts are more difficult now (the newest AF1 would have been built by the factory almost 12 years ago).

All the best

Keith

Key Walshe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:40 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to what Keith was saying, but not with words, as it goes 'a picture says a thousand words!'

They should be in order of -

1988 original AF1 Project 108 bike, has the 16" wheels Keith spoke of.
1989 AF1 Sintessi followed by the Replica, same bikes I think except for the colour schemes.
1990 was the AF1 Futura, looks more like the original Rs125!
1991 came the naked version of the Futura with the AF1 Europa, similar thing to the Rs125 and Rs125 Touno of nowadays!

I'm pretty sure they're the ones Keith talked about and in the right order too... I have seen other colour schemes though, but they seem to be the most common especially on the Sintessi model!

*edit* pics are in completely wrong order as never attached any properly before and in preview it showed them the right way round, so the unfaired Europa should be at the bottom and vice versa etc.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:53 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key Walshe wrote:
They should be in order of -

1988 original AF1 Project 108 bike, has the 16" wheels Keith spoke of.
1989 AF1 Sintessi followed by the Replica, same bikes I think except for the colour schemes.
1990 was the AF1 Futura, looks more like the original Rs125!
1991 came the naked version of the Futura with the AF1 Europa, similar thing to the Rs125 and Rs125 Touno of nowadays!

Hi

Close, except the original AF1 was actually the 1987 model, but they only came to the UK at the start of 1988. There was a replica version of this bike which had a different paint job and a twin headlight fairing. The Sintesi was launched in 1988, and is the 1988 model, the only difference between the normal and the replica versions being the paintwork (the 2 Sintesi models pictured above are both 1988 models). The 1989 model Sintesi had different headlights, clocks and an electronically controlled power valve. The Futura was launched in 1990 in Italy but did not come to the UK until most of the way through 1991 (and then with a dodgy twin headlight conversion). The RS125 was launched in Italy in 1992, but did not replace the Futura in the UK until the end of the summer of 1993.

All the best

Keith

Key Walshe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks, I got all my info from an Aprilia history book, which had all the UK release's etc. and I didn't think many/any imports would have made it over so quick, and if they did wouldn't be around any longer so didn't think it mattered!

And I guess this is the square headlight Sintessi you mean? I was going to include it, but as these seem even rarer than the standard twin headlight version I didn't bother, perhaps I should have done though... Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 02:00 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Never seen or heard of a square headlight Sintesi before. Suspect as the mirrors and paintwork on that one are non standard it might be a bodged up crash repair.

All the best

Keith

Key Walshe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'd not looked that closely, but you're probably right, besides looking like a scruffy one with the paint work and graphics it looks like a good repair job for the headlight and looked standard to me at first, but as I'm not that clued up on the older AF1's and still being confused with all the headlight changes for the same models then I'll take your word for it Smile

Splash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, It is a af1 futura. With a square headlight and rotax 123 engine.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key - Thanks for that, the first picture, the Europa was my first bike. I was going to have a look around for a picture but you saved me some hassle. It's been such a long time since I saw one I couldn't properly remember what they looked like, other than being unfaired and that colour. It seemed like such a big fast bike at the time after learning on a CG125, it looks like I could actually carry it around in my rucksack these days!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:06 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

<comissioner gordon> He saved the day again! Who *is* that masked man? </comissioner gordon>

Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:24 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splash wrote:
well, It is a af1 futura. With a square headlight and rotax 123 engine.

Hi

Right, I sold my Futura in 1993 when I traded it in for an RS125.

UK spec Futuras had 2 small round headlights that were totally pathetic. The square headlights used on non UK market bikes can only be better. I think it is the same headlight used on the early RS125.

Early Futuras had the same forks as the Sintesi, while later ones (and all the UK market ones) had the same forks as the early RS125.

The engine is the Rotax 123. Not a bad engine. Aprilia used that from the Sintesi up to about 1993. There were a few changes (very early engines had no mount on the barrel, later on they changed the clutch cover to move the clutch cable a bit, and they also changed the alternator cover), and the porting also improved.

Most Futuras came with the 34mm VHSB flat slide carb. Works well but tends to give quite a heavy throttle action as standard. Some markets had bikes with smallers 28mm carbs, including those bikes fitted with a catalytic converter.

My Futura tended to understeer unless you were on the power. Fine in the dry, but not nice in the wet.

Top speed I managed from mine was an indicated 180kmh (112mph). Basically it is only a tiny bit slower than the early RS, but the RS gets to its top speed a bit more easily.

The rear single sided swinging arm weighs a ton. The chain adjusters can seize up if ignored. The rear shock is fairly short lived. The rear suspension bushes wear out, but are not that bad and it is dirt cheap to buy replacements from Aprilia. The brakes are very good but without a great amount of feel.

The early Futura had a hole in the frame through which you could access the bolts to undo the cross piece onto which the seat unit bolted. It is possible to drop these bolts down into the inside of the frame. Later bikes they modified this to stop you loosing bolts that way (takes ages with a magnet to get the bolts out).

Rear sprockets are now not that easy to get for the older single sided swinging arm Aprilias. Apparently they are quite common if you order them from Germany.

The bodywork is overall quite tough. The exception to this is the front top corner of the side fairings. The fairing mounts here tend to crack quite easily.

The trip meter reset nob operates a short cable that goes to the back of the speedo. This cable tends to settle with time into a fixed curve, and that then stops you resetting the trip meter. Can be fixed by taking the cable off and straightening it again.

For engine parts go to Peter Knight on 0176 141 4106.

All the best

Keith

Splash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your detailed information kickstart Razz Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:09 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had forgotten about this. I scanned in the owners handbook and uploaded it (it is in Italian unfortunatly):-

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/aprilia/handbook.zip

If that does not work then it is also up as a web page

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/Aprilia/AF1FuturaOwnersHandbook/FuturaMan.htm

All the best

Keith

Splash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, thanks Razz Razz Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1