Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZX10 - my thoughts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 21:36 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: ZX10 - my thoughts Reply with quote

Mr. Green Thumbs Up Very Happy and any other such good things.

I apologize for the length of this.

Basically spent over an hour on the new ZX10 today, and loved every minute of it.

The bike is small and light - about the same size and weight as my CBR6 though a bit taller than the CBR. Its easy to ride slow, nicely balanced and turns nicely and didn't feel top heavy etc.
At speed its nice too - though I must admit the rear suspension was set too hard for me and as such I found myself occasionally drifting wide at 90mph on twisty a roads, but that could easily be changed if I owned the bike. The front was very planted and at no point did I feel like it was going to drop in or start shaking its head about when powering out of a corner (and this thing can power out of a corner like you would not believe.

Lost count of the times I looked down and seen the speedo at 80+ and me wondering what gear I was in - maybe 4th I though or 3rd. Oh no I would still be in second and it was deceptive as the engine was very strong and wasn't stressed. Laughing

On to the power of it, well G asked if it would wheelie off the throttle at a 100mph, so I had to find out for the chap. I'm no wheelie person so simply getting the wheel to lift would be as far as I went. 100mph in 3rd, shut throttle, open throttle and f'me if the wheel isn't going up and my bum hole isn't twitching like a bunnys nose. In top gear at 100mph found it needed a dab of the clutch to get the same twitching of the ring. Laughing

Acceleration is beastly, nice and docile till about 4k ish then it starts to pick up then you get to 7k ish and things start blurring very quickly and when accelerating hard I found myself glad the seat was stepped as if it wasn't I would of found myself sat on the floor with the bike riding off in to the distance!

Speed - I got up to 150mph on it and lost my bottle, the round about was approaching way too quick.

Breaks weren't what I was expecting, I was expecting something hard and grabby, but instead very progressive (took some getting use to at first as I thought they possibly needed bleeding - but it was just me) and very capable.

Bad things

There wasn't much I didn't like/don't like about the zx10 (thus the reason I want one).
Arrow It was green Sad
Arrow absolutely no rear view from the mirrors no matter how much I moved my arms/body etc, just couldn't see jack.
Arrow suspension setting (easily changed though)
Arrow the rear shock is in a bad place to clean - the one on was very grotty and would be a total nightmare to get to clean 9but thats me been a tart I guess)

But no real complains apart from the mirror thing. Laughing

All in all I want one, thanks to Stew for forwarding me the email - much enjoyed myself today (even though I've missed out on some work because of it - never mind heh).

I have no idea how that lot reads as I can't be bothered to go back and read it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good time then, are you going to be featuring in the next issue then?

Oh and greens the best colour so stop complaining, if it was the black one I bet the front wheel wouldn't have even lifted in first gear with a slip of the clutch.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 21:42 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the lowdown! Smile

I just hope the RiDE review reflects such a charming and delicate 'way with words'!!

Bunny's nose indeed! Rolling Eyes

Wink x

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 21:46 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think they said it would be in out in about 6 weeks so I guess not this, but next months mag. Very Happy

I have a nasty feeling that a boat quote may appear Rolling Eyes (don't ask - slight misunderstanding with my accent an all).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good day mate and the weather wasn't too bad for it to and you lived to tell the tale which is a bonus!

It will definitely be a good year for the litre bikes this year, should be a good group test. I think MCN has got the Blade, ZX10 and GSXR1000 head to head on Wednesday. It's all been a bit quiet on the R1 front so far, so it will be interesting to see what Yamaha have up their sleeves.

Better get saving then, just don't tell the CBR it'll never forgive you! Wink

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 21:51 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
slight misunderstanding with my accent an all).

Hehehe... I always said you were a dodgy northerner!!
Now do you believe me! Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:52 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile

I take it you got a copy of the keys cut Wink

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
I think MCN has got the Blade, ZX10 and GSXR1000 head to head on Wednesday.

MSN, Bike, performance bikes, ride etc etc etc are all in the same office - Its strange sitting around talking to people thinking - where have I seen your face before. Laughing

Viper wrote:
Hehehe... I always said you were a dodgy northerner!!
Now do you believe me!

Razz Just you southerner's are all a bit funny and don't speak proper english like. Very Happy

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 21:59 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

Razz Just you southerner's are all a bit funny and don't speak proper english like. Very Happy

One would not agree with thou.
Razz

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:

One would not agree with thou.
Razz

Oh, I do apologize, but I don't seem to be able to understand one's banter. Razz

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 00:31 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Gav, glad you got to enjoy it. Thumbs Up (Glad that someone I know actually got to ride it and get themselves in a magazine at the same time). Hope you got a decent quote in Wink
Wish I could of done it myself, but 'meh' nevermind.

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 03 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, glad you enjoyed it and from your review, i think i still want one!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:38 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just seen the magazine. Gav, you need to polish your helmet. In the photo of you riding it you lid just looks grey.

All the best

Keith

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:03 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me points Keith to:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=22702

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:13 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Gav, you need to polish your helmet.

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1