Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil for Yamaha YBR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JAMES2503
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:57 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Oil for Yamaha YBR 125 Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if this oil would be good for this bike, it says in the manual 10w/40 is best, but doesn't state whether it uses fully synthetic or semi. If not can anyone give me advice on the best oil to use. Thanks https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_263977_langId_-1_categoryId_165507
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:11 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Supermarket 10w40 semi synthetic will be fine for the YBR, just change it every 1-2000 miles and you'll be fine.

No need to spend nearly 12 quid a litre on fully synthetic with unobtainium wear reducers Wink

JAMES2503
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:18 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanks for that, just wanted to know for when I need to change it. This is off topic, I know, but there's a problem with my bike I think. It takes way too long to warm up on choke, I mean I'm talking more than 10 minutes here. Also when I pull away in first, it pulls smoothly then sounds like its going to cut out....but doesn't. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:48 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pic of your spark plug? As for oil, I use Halford's 10w40 semi for many miles and it was fine. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMES2503
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want me to remove the spark plug then post a pic? and yeah I've decided just to use halfords semi Thumbs Up

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please remove it, that way we can work out if it's worn, or if the engine might be running rich or lean and then point out possible causes, or if it's not related at all. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:56 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont use fully synthetic, its a waste and it might get past some oil seals and stuff.

Use a reasonable quality semi synth, but even a cheapo mineral oil will be OK in that bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:00 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMES2503 wrote:
Right, thanks for that, just wanted to know for when I need to change it. This is off topic, I know, but there's a problem with my bike I think. It takes way too long to warm up on choke, I mean I'm talking more than 10 minutes here. Also when I pull away in first, it pulls smoothly then sounds like its going to cut out....but doesn't. Any ideas?

Put on choke to start it, put helmet and gloves on and ride carefully for a few miles with the choke off... it will warm up quicker than sitting there.

JAMES2503
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's those pics of my spark plug. Also I have tried riding off with the choke on for a very short while, then leaning over and turning it off, what an old biker said to me see Wink

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be that your idle speed might be set a bit too low. Once warmed up, should be hitting just before the 1500 mark. The idle screw is on the right side of the carb, facing out, it's the biggest screw there.

Edit: Can't see pics.

Last edited by neil. on 13:30 - 24 Jun 2011; edited 1 time in total

JAMES2503
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:30 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic's didn't post. So trying a different way. https://i52.tinypic.com/1zqy2l5.jpg
https://i53.tinypic.com/v3lw76.jpg

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug looks spot on to me, I'd be checking the idle speed once warmed up and adjusting it if need be.

JAMES2503
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:10 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah after all that it was just the idling speed, something so simple I never though of lol. It was idling at 1000/even 900 sometimes, so simple turn of a screw and it's never sounded healthier! Smile thanks for your help anyways and I'll keep you posted if any more problems occur

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bike to learn this stuff on, is a 2005 YBR. Thumbs Up

Tip: get some copper grease on the spark plug threads (not the electrode/insulator part!) and this will help future removal as well as give a better earth connection.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug looks... a bit plain to be honest... id richen that up slightly.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Plug looks... a bit plain to be honest... id richen that up slightly.

Looks ok to me. Most modern machines are jetted on the lean side anyhow.

Singles can be a bit twitchy at low revs, slighlty high idle and a little richer on the idle screw helps.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:25 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
Looks ok to me. Most modern machines are jetted on the lean side anyhow.

Fair, I just prefer mine to look like this, maybe a tad browner... just because thats how the car is...and that was a performance tuned thing... built to last etc.

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/aaron.harris/Data/Gallery/IMAG0035.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 52 days between these two posts...

sandhu40
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:43 - 14 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite silly, I admit, but I have done 9,000 miles without changing the oil once.

Going to change it tomorrow as the gears are a little difficult to change.

Can anyone recommend what else could do with a change? It's a 10 plate YBR and has 10,000 on the clock. Nothing has ever been changed so it deserves some love.

Thanks everyone, for initially recommending the bike a year ago and for the help now.

AJ

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:47 - 15 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.novarata.net/Thread_Necromancy.jpg

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:50 - 15 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandhu40 wrote:
Quite silly, I admit, but I have done 9,000 miles without changing the oil once.

Going to change it tomorrow as the gears are a little difficult to change.

Can anyone recommend what else could do with a change? It's a 10 plate YBR and has 10,000 on the clock. Nothing has ever been changed so it deserves some love.

Thanks everyone, for initially recommending the bike a year ago and for the help now.

AJ

Change the oil and air filters. I'd change the sparkplug whilst you are at it.

Hows the chain holding up?

Valve adjustment will need checking as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1