Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone up on Landlord/tenant law?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Anyone up on Landlord/tenant law? Reply with quote

I have a rather long story which I'll post in a bit with lots and lots of boring details.

I wanted to know if anyone on here has actual knowledge about the law regarding Landlord and tenants responsibilities etc before I bothered to bore anyone with it all.

Ta.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people don't want to read it they won't. You should post so people who may know, know what you need to know. If you know what I mean.

Responsibilities may be outlined in the contract?

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:46 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go online and look for a summary of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. You might find your answer there.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Re: Anyone up on Landlord/tenant law? Reply with quote

theguvnor wrote:
I have a rather long story which I'll post in a bit with lots and lots of boring details.

I wanted to know if anyone on here has actual knowledge about the law regarding Landlord and tenants responsibilities etc before I bothered to bore anyone with it all.

Ta.

We're used to long boring stories here on BCF.
Just do it.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do but I'm a little pissed tonight so I'll crack on with it tomorrow to save you all from a load of drunken rambling crap.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 6 years, 91 days between these two posts...
douglas26 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

douglas26 wrote:
Hi!
I have a bond with my landlord but I want to leave the house. Is there any law so that I can do this?
Thanks

1) are you a spam bot?

2) yet again, I find myself reading a thread before I realise it's been bumped by a forum necromancer Thumbs Down Evil or Very Mad

3) Your question makes little sense.

Why can't you leave the house? Has he locked you in? Locked you up maybe, are you into bondage?

4) - If you want to end your tenancy early, you can expect to lose your deposit, unless there is a break clause in your tenancy agreement
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

4) - If you want to end your tenancy early, you can expect to lose your deposit, unless there is a break clause in your tenancy agreement

What I suspect he's trying to avoid. What he probably doesn't realise is that re letting incurs costs.
If it's at the end of an agreed tenancy, those costs are my problem. If you sod off mid term then (at least
by the terms of my tenancy agreements) those same expenses land at your feet and will come out of your deposit
which you have signed to say you forfeit in the event of an early abandonment of your tenancy.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
If you sod off mid term then (at least by the terms of my tenancy agreements) those same expenses land at your feet and will come out of your deposit which you have signed to say you forfeit in the event of an early abandonment of your tenancy.

Hmm, most agreements make the early-departing tenant responsible for paying the rent until the end of the tenancy until/unless an acceptable replacement tenant can be found, and the cost of that may well exceed the amount of the deposit. Or could be less. Actually I think the deposit protection schemes would frown upon having a fixed forfeit of the deposit, regardless of the amount of the landlord's actual loss.

EDIT: OP - is this real? This is your only post since signing up... why on God's green earth would you join a motorcycling forum to ask about tenancy law?

I'm just off to www.landlordzone.co.uk to see if anyone can help me with an ignition timing problem...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:11 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like balloons?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, swings and roundabouts. I wouldn't take the rent for the whole intended tenancy and as such have a 1 month
notice period. That way they aren't locked in to stay against their will. But they can cover the £300 fee I pay to find
and vet the next tenant from their deposit. I think it's a fair compromise. I've had to make a claim against a deposit held
in the scheme for changed locks. The tenant gave a set of keys to his bird and she sodded off to Europe somewhere
with them and couldn't be contacted. It was easy to do and a minimum of proof of works and expense was needed.
I don't think I even submitted a receipt. But he didn't contest my claim which probably helped. I'm pretty fair about
these things, so long as the tenant hasn't been a dick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1