Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scored barrel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:57 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Scored barrel? Reply with quote

If my Aprilia RS125 barrel is slightly scored by the exhaust from a shattered piston ring then would that be okay to just put a new piston and rings in and maybe loose a bit of compression which I'm not fussed about.

Ste

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:01 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That would depend on how deep the score is, but quite possibly you will loose too much compression for the engine to run.

As a guide my old Futura scored the barrel when a ring snapped. The score was around 0.5mm deep, and just a touch wider than that, with one ring still OK. The engine would not run like that.

All the best

Keith

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:07 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: . Reply with quote

The score is just above the exhaust port and is very minute. I have a new piston and set of rings ready to put in now, would that be a wise idea?

Ste

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:08 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Without seeing it, I cannot really say. However if it has gone through the plating then I would say it needs replating / replacing. The alloy under the plating will wear very quickly.

All the best

Keith

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Roughly how much will that cost?

Ste

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:16 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure. A new barrel is something like £250 the last time I asked (could be more or less now), while replating it will be around £100.

For new engine parts go to Peter Knight on 0176 141 4106. For the replating there are a few people around, such as PJ Engineering in Wolvo.

All the best

Keith

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just getting some pics of inside the barrel now, hold on 2 ticks.

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:24 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: . Reply with quote

My camera's not good enough to get a sharp closeup. What about getting the barrel re-bored? Is that worth doing?

Ste

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The standard barrel is plated and cannot be rebored. There is just a thin layer of "chrome" over the alloy of the barrel. If you rebored it you would remove all the "chrome". Also if you rebored it you would need a matching larger piston.

However some people can bore the barrels out and insert a cast iron liner. This costs about the same as replating, but does mean that you can rebore the barrel. I am afraid my only experience of this was not a good one so it is not something I would try myself.

All the best

Keith

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Who would I need to contact to replate the engine?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:36 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think there are 3 or 4 places in the UK that can replate barrels. PJ Engineering (www.prox.co.uk) is one, another in Lancourt Ltd who are on 01934 612226 I think. Most other places just send it to one of the limited number who can actually do the job.

All the best

Keith

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:43 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they replate it, do they fill and score with the plating?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:46 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I believe that they remove the old plating and weld in the score to fill it, machine it to specification and then replate it.

I would suggest that you take the barrel to a place you trust to get a 2nd opinion before sending it off if you are in any doubt as to whether it is required.

All the best

Keith

impulse1985m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:49 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for your help again. I will contact PJ tommorow and get their oppinion.

Cheers, Ste.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:50 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Good luck, hope you get away without needing to repair it!

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1