Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gsxr1100 vs modern thous

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Welshd1k
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 03 Jul 2011    Post subject: gsxr1100 vs modern thous Reply with quote

how do the old oil boiler match up vs modern bikes preformance wise ? handling etc ?
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Welshd1k
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 03 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i was havign a discussion with someone about one last night and he kind of said get a gsxr1100 its a real bike . and i kinda being me and arrogant said if i wanted to spend daft money for a big bike id buy a modern thou or a zx12 / bussa and he kept telling me that the old 11 would slay them all.

but do they handle ? i mean for silly wheelies etc a sorted bandit does the trick and looks less gay than some of the colour schemes and alot cheaper

P.S wtf is with willson ? in ur profile pic? lol
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Welshd1k
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 03 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see i see isee . you'd kill me if i said i like them with renthals lol,

but yeah i like a gsxr1100 just the money they fetch is hideous for what you seem to get when you could get a newer gsxr1000 or a carbed r1 etc.

but then again i like rd350's which fetch 2k+ and a 1k cbr6 will outrun lol

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 03 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of specs
https://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-R-series/GSX-R1100.shtml

They gain weight as they get younger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a K8 GSX-R1000 and the newer bikes are a fair bit more nimble than the older GSXRs, they feel like tanks in comparison. If you jump on a modern sports 1000cc you'll be impressed by the handing once it's properly set up even on stock gear.

As for power, an old 1100 puts out around 156bhp at new, so probably around 145bhp now which is a little more (15-25bhp) than modern sports 600s, vs. the 195bhp my GSX-R1000 has. Practically on the road you won't feel that much difference as you'd have to be gunning it pretty hard to do so and there aren't many places to do that.

As for comfort, I've always found older sports bikes comfier than modern ones so you may want to take that into consideration.

As said above, an GSX-R1100 will still poop on modern sports 600s in terms of top speed but won't be as good in terms of handling.

It's all up to you at the end of the day, get the best bike you can afford, it doesn't matter what others think!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fliolly
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:24 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mate has a 94/m 1100, it corners like a pig but the ease with which it leaves my 04 Daytona on the straight is epic! It has a fat arse but still looks the dogs testicles, always gets people asking what it's like to ride.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:51 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Daytona was had by most 600's Laughing

I've only ever sat on an 1100, never ridden. Felt quite heavy by most standards and just felt very dated. But comfy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the gsxr1100wp watercooled one was very fast in a straight line i had an indicated 185mph it would easily sit vertical off the throttle in 3rd! but it seamed to twist and wallow through the twistys almost like it had a plastic frame i didnt like it and sold it after a week
if you get a good standard one and look after it ,it will only go up in value

fliolly
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:11 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

Really, I have not found that to be the case, not that i go out to hunt down other 600's but i find they are all much the same, yr on yr they get faster and faster but comapred to others of similar age i dont think there is anything between them.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
I ride a K8 GSX-R1000 and the newer bikes are a fair bit more nimble than the older GSXRs, they feel like tanks in comparison. If you jump on a modern sports 1000cc you'll be impressed by the handing once it's properly set up even on stock gear.

As for power, an old 1100 puts out around 156bhp at new, so probably around 145bhp now which is a little more (15-25bhp) than modern sports 600s, vs. the 195bhp my GSX-R1000 has. Practically on the road you won't feel that much difference as you'd have to be gunning it pretty hard to do so and there aren't many places to do that.

As for comfort, I've always found older sports bikes comfier than modern ones so you may want to take that into consideration.

As said above, an GSX-R1100 will still poop on modern sports 600s in terms of top speed but won't be as good in terms of handling.

It's all up to you at the end of the day, get the best bike you can afford, it doesn't matter what others think!

How many GSXR11's or 750's have you owned? Just trying to guage your experience with them.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:03 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilch wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:

Really, I have not found that to be the case, not that i go out to hunt down other 600's but i find they are all much the same, yr on yr they get faster and faster but comapred to others of similar age i dont think there is anything between them.

Well mine, 12,000 miles, down the M20 laying flat on the tank screaming its bollocks off in 6th gear down a hill saw 147mph.

I've been faster on a GSXR600 without being prone Laughing

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Paulington wrote:

How many GSXR11's or 750's have you owned? Just trying to guage your experience with them.

I've ridden a GSXR1100 owned by a family friend, he bought it to restore it and let me ride for a few miles on it as he wanted to try my modern version.

I haven't ridden a 750cc GSXR more than seven years old.

So no, not a lot of experience on either but my original post was my experience with the bike compared to mine, bear in mind it was slightly bias considering I went straight from my modern version to the GSX-R1100, so the difference would have been highly accentuated as you can't really fully 'judge' a bike in a 10 mile ride on A/B roads.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:24 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

Well mine, 12,000 miles, down the M20 laying flat on the tank screaming its bollocks off in 6th gear down a hill saw 147mph.

I know people who have (or claim to at least) gone faster on Slightly modified Speed Fours still with less BHP than the D600

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:

I know people who have (or claim to at least) gone faster on Slightly modified Speed Fours still with less BHP than the D600

I really can't see that as being possible, but that is highly dependant on the line drawn between 'slightly modified' and 'modified'. Laughing!

To get up to the same horsepower as the D600, a Speed Four would have to gain 12 horsepower which is a tad more than an aftermarket system and some other bits, plus the aerodynamics of a Speed Four are a fair bit worse I imagine.

fliolly
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

I've had an indicated 156mph it also has done less than 12,000 miles and recently had the full 12k service, runs sweet as.

Perhaps you are carrying a little more ballast than myself Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:36 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilch wrote:
I've had an indicated 156mph it also has done less than 12,000 miles and recently had the full 12k service, runs sweet as.

Perhaps you are carrying a little more ballast than myself Smile

Lol, 10 stone and 5ft 11, im quite weedy Laughing

Either way, debate is on GSXR1100's Wink But, mine could have been a bit shit.. although was pristine when I picked it up.

My 750 is faster anyway Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:

I really can't see that as being possible, but that is highly dependant on the line drawn between 'slightly modified' and 'modified'. Laughing!

To get up to the same horsepower as the D600, a Speed Four would have to gain 12 horsepower which is a tad more than an aftermarket system and some other bits, plus the aerodynamics of a Speed Four are a fair bit worse I imagine.

It was on bikes that had been uprated to TT600 engine spec (new cams and a Map change) is is cheap, I bought a set of cams for £2.20 and is 'bolt on' 10hp. Then plus an exhaust and different air intake. Thinking about it it may be a bit more BHP than a stock d600 but one guy claimed to see 155 on the clock. He didn't seem the sort to embellish either.

The S4 has fairly decent aero dynamics for a naked bike the pixie hat adds about 15 mph to the top speed. I have seen 140 on mine and it wouldn't go any more. I would expect a bike with 12 more bhp and better aerodynamics to go more than 7mph faster.

I'm not saying the S4 is a quicker bike but that D600 came do more than an indicated 147, it would think it should be closer to 160 if not actually hitting 160.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
I've ridden a GSXR1100 owned by a family friend, he bought it to restore it and let me ride for a few miles on it as he wanted to try my modern version.

So now put it into perspective. There have been 3 major different types of GSXR1100. The Slabbies, The Slingshots and the Water Buffalos. They are 3 very different series of bikes so reviewing the whole lot with a 10 mile ride on one without stating which one is misleading at best and shows exactly how little experience you have with them.

It would also appear that you have very little experience on older bikes so would have real problems riding them without actually understanding what they were built for. The Slingshots and Water Buffalos for example were really built to be ridden VERY fast at speeds over 100mph and are incredibly stable at such speeds, often more so than more modern bikes but their handling was heavy at lower speeds.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned two early slabside 1100s (1052cc)

With a laser pipe, stock carbs, pods and jetted to suit I got 119 horsepower at the rear wheel on the first one, the second running rs36 carbs and a predator pipe got a bit more. Slabbies are strangled stock so ditching the airbox is a good bet. The original pipe will have turned into an orange puddle in any case and weighed around 10kg or more.

Slabs aren't particularly heavy once the oe pipe is ditched-1100s are around 185kg or so dry so much lighter than a blandit. Handling wise they are top heavy but stable with decent suspension when in good nick.

Top speed according to the gps unit on the second one was 163 mph (on a runway). mph (on a runway).

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but Welsh, surely what you need to know is how good it is at cutting corners, riding straight over chicanes and it's off road ability?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:01 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have one at the moment but never ridden it on the road (bought for playing silly buggers on a drag strip).

Mine handles horribly, but then it has a long swinging arm and normally a pretty low rear tyre pressure. And the tyres are not chosen for cornering (more things that I can afford to burn out on).

However engine wise, they are fairly pokey. Oil cooled ones were claimed somewhere in the 140s but reality was probably 20hp down on that (UK ones were mostly restricted - in theory to 125hp but in practice probably rather less). Mine is a bit played with and manages 135hp which is well up on a stock Bandit but well down on any of the modern litre bikes.

Finish is actually pretty good. Brakes are not bad although comparatively a lot of weight to slow down.

All the best

Keith

Gerrard
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:55 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an 1988 GSX 1100, (slabside), 1993 GSX 1100, Gixxer K4, and loved them all.. Thumbs Up all for different reasons.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2