|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Fifteen15 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fifteen15 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:01 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: Crazy Insurance Prices |
 |
|
I passed my CBT, Mod 1 and Mod 2 a few weeks ago. I've never owned a bike before so I knew insurance prices were going to be high, but I didn't think they were going to be this high. I'm 19 with no NCB, 2 years driving experience with a clean license, live in an area with a very low crime rate, I will have the bike locked in a garage overnight and it will be restricted to 33bhp. With this in mind, TPFT with £500 voluntary excess for an SV650 K6 (worth £2000) is almost £900! Is there anyway I can bring this down a bit? I've thought about upping the security features which should bring the premium down a bit. Would it be worth getting a decent chain, or alarm? Or both? Baring in mind I'm more bothered about the insurance premium.
Also when I enter the registration number of an SV 06 bike, I'd get a quote of around £900, however if I keep everything the same, and enter the registration number of another SV 06 bike, I get a different quote, anywhere from £850 to £950. Why is this? It's practically the same bike. ____________________ "Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KDub |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KDub Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 04 Sep 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:10 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
You are still very high risk as you are <21/25 which along with 35-45 are the highest risk groups.
Try a quote with a Cat 1 alarm, a decent chain/ground anchor and such, they should help a fair bit.
Have you declared the 33bhp modification? If you have try not declaring it as some insurers skyrocket the price with it declared and whether you have to declare it or not is a bit of a grey area.
Failing that, try some advanced training! Do BikeSafe, that's free or do what I did and become a member of the IAM as that drops insurance by around 15%-20% which is significant enough to warrant it.
Insurance prices have skyrocketed in recent years because the current culture is more litigious than ever, which costs the insurance companies money they want to get back and make some money from, this coupled with the recession means bad news for consumers.
Without no claims, it's crazy but if you do the same quote with 1 year NCB it'd go from £900 to around £450-£500 as nowadays NCB makes a massive difference so work your hardest to not have an accident, fault or non-fault in your first year!
Hope that helps! ! ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:16 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
That does seem excessively high...
I could (before 3 points and that) insure a 2004 SV for £180 FC
Are you using thebikeinsurer.co.uk
Nemo from here was getting quotes fr ~£400 for a B King.. thats a 1300cc bike  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fifteen15 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fifteen15 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:30 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| KDub wrote: | as a point of interest, what are you declaring mileage wise? | At first I entered 5000 miles, but then I entered 10000 miles and it only increased by £14 which I thought was very weird. I have it set on 8000 now though.
| Paulington wrote: | Try a quote with a Cat 1 alarm, a decent chain/ground anchor and such, they should help a fair bit.
Have you declared the 33bhp modification? If you have try not declaring it as some insurers skyrocket the price with it declared and whether you have to declare it or not is a bit of a grey area.
Failing that, try some advanced training! Do BikeSafe, that's free or do what I did and become a member of the IAM as that drops insurance by around 15%-20% which is significant enough to warrant it.
Without no claims, it's crazy but if you do the same quote with 1 year NCB it'd go from £900 to around £450-£500 as nowadays NCB makes a massive difference so work your hardest to not have an accident, fault or non-fault in your first year! |
Before I declared my 33bhp restriction, there were a lot of companies that quoted me (on GoCompare). As soon as I declare it, half the quotes disappear saying something like We cannot insure with these modifications. So yeah I could do that. And I am planning on doing advanced training after about a year of being on the road. I haven't even ridden by myself on the roads yet, so a bit soon for advanced training I think. And what do you mean by Cat 1 alarm? There was this alarm on an SV650, Datatool system 3 alarm, it decreased my insurance by £130, but I think costs about £200. I'd definitely consider getting one though as a long term investment.
@Paddy, I'm using GoCompare just to get an idea of prices. I would probably go direct after buying the bike though. ____________________ "Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
Last edited by Fifteen15 on 17:32 - 23 Aug 2011; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jamie S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jamie S World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Dec 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:37 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Insurance is a fiddle.
I used to be able to insure a GSXR1000 (Did quote for G's bike) for £650 TPFT.
Would have taken that had it been my bike and needing insurance.
Now they are looking for about £1200
SV's and Bandits, seem DAMN cheap to insure.
My 125 on a full licence, 3 points and declaring 8 claims (others fall outside of the 3 years insurance want) with bike kept on street with alarm and chain is £90 a year  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fifteen15 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fifteen15 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fleszka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fleszka L Plate Warrior

Joined: 12 Jun 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:18 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm fairly sure https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/ give better quotes than GoCompare, though I may be mistaken I would think its worth a try. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:20 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
£900 for 33bhp 650?
OK, it's not going to set the world on fire; and that is an inordinate amount of money compared to price of the bike; but its mainly the risk of you doing damage they are covering.
How much would quote on similar performance car, say a Saxo GTi be?
Quotes for 125's for lads your age aren't all that much cheaper.
It's not 'rediculouse' compared to the rest of the market. ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fifteen15 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fifteen15 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:34 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
You're right. The best quote came down by about £100. After saying that, they didn't ask for any mods so by the time I enter all the mods, it could be right back up to where it was in the first place.
How do you add mods to the quote if they don't ask for them? :S ____________________ "Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
Last edited by Fifteen15 on 19:47 - 23 Aug 2011; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FerretFing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FerretFing World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:37 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
One joy of being 40+...just insured a BMW F650 tpft for £12 with Swinton (after cashback deals)....my nephew who's 21 was pissed as he has to pay about £900...I said I'd rather be 21 again & pay the £900!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fleszka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fleszka L Plate Warrior

Joined: 12 Jun 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:52 - 23 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| ImNoSuperman wrote: |
You're right. The best quote came down by about £100. After saying that, they didn't ask for any mods so by the time I enter all the mods, it could be right back up to where it was in the first place.
How do you add mods to the quote if they don't ask for them? :S |
I would ring them in any case, actually being on the phone to them to sort out little details like that can reduce the quite even further. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:05 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Paulington wrote: | Try a quote with a Cat 1 alarm, a decent chain/ground anchor and such, they should help a fair bit. |
Agreed, but then if it gets nicked and those aren't fitted, you'll get no payout.
So (seriously) you'd be as well getting quotes for 3rd party only with "chained to a shark" levels of security - bizarrely, insurers seem to work out a risk factor for the bike independently of the type of cover, so listing security will bring down the 3rd party only cost.
If 3rd party comes out cheaper (and it may not!) then spend the savings on better security. On that value of bike, in your situation, I think you're better off spending on security rather than insurance because if you did have to claim on a theft, you'd get under £1500 back (after the excess) and your risk would rise so you'll pay even more over the next 5 years.
| Paulington wrote: | Have you declared the 33bhp modification? If you have try not declaring it as some insurers skyrocket the price with it declared and whether you have to declare it or not is a bit of a grey area. |
Agreed. Insurance is supposed to be "utmost good faith" - i.e. you over- rather than under-disclose facts- but I'd argue (in court, if necessary) that it's not reasonable to consider a restrictor as a material fact, since it reduces the insurer's 3rd party risk. It doesn't change their fire/theft risk either, since it's invisible, and you couldn't claim payment for an undisclosed modification.
Some insurers (e.g. Swinton) don't even provide a way to tell them that you're on a <= 25kW license, so you just put "full" then don't disclose the restriction on the bike. Unless and until they ask to see your license, there's no reason for them to even suspect that the bike should be restricted. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:21 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Be thankful you dont live in Northern Ireland. Would have cost you double that.
Oddly enough my sister has been driving cars for 10 years or so and has upgraded to a MPV due to her expanding family and her new insurance quote came in at more than the value of the car! And thats with full no claims.  ____________________ illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Angel Girl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Angel Girl Scooby Slapper

Joined: 12 Jul 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:26 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have to say I think age is the huge factor. I've insured my Honda CB500S, first ever bike, not even got full licence yet, fully comp with other riders on, for £125
It's cos I is old  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SnowTigeress |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SnowTigeress Brolly Dolly
Joined: 23 May 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:38 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
For my insurance being on a provisional licence its £123 full comp,just did a quote for having a full licence and its the same price...  ____________________ Real bikers build their own Renovated and Riding a 1986 Honda CB125TD-C called the Pup. Full Licence 13/09/2012, 1994 Moto Guzzi 750 Strada
Can-Do Girl that does spanners TOO!
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Angel Girl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Angel Girl Scooby Slapper

Joined: 12 Jul 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CB77 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CB77 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 May 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:46 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | | Paulington wrote: | Try a quote with a Cat 1 alarm, a decent chain/ground anchor and such, they should help a fair bit. |
Agreed, but then if it gets nicked and those aren't fitted, you'll get no payout. |
I obviously meant that he should try a quote with a Cat 1 Alarm and if it reduces it a lot, to get one fitted.
The Cat 1 Alarm on the GSX-R takes a couple hundred pounds off the insurance price, it's insured fully comprehensive and Cat 1 Alarms are a huge help. ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SnowTigeress |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SnowTigeress Brolly Dolly
Joined: 23 May 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
how do you get your ncb when yourve only just passed you bike tests?
I was just checking quotes on a guzzi v50 and that was £208 but where it asks what ncb you have it wont accept 1 years,because i havent had the licence for a year. ____________________ Real bikers build their own Renovated and Riding a 1986 Honda CB125TD-C called the Pup. Full Licence 13/09/2012, 1994 Moto Guzzi 750 Strada
Can-Do Girl that does spanners TOO!
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wibbles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wibbles Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 21 Aug 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:29 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just a heads up, I turned 21 this year and I am taking my DAS course.
My insurance on my car started at around £1000 at 17 then dropped all the way to £320 when I hit 21, the bike quote for a Honda CB600F is £400 without license £320 with license.
It gets better as soon as you pass that 17-20 mark, even better after that  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:52 - 24 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| ##Paddy## wrote: | | Rogerborg wrote: | Agreed, but then if it gets nicked and those aren't fitted, you'll get no payout. |
Prove it wasnt fitted?
 |
Simple.
They will ask for the name of the Mechanic who fitted it and or the name of the garage that fitted it.
Also, a receipt of fitting, proof of fitting and all the information that comes with an alarm. (There is a lot of it).
Failing that, if they bike is found they will have it inspected.
Also, the majority of insurance companies will just ask for a certificate of fitting and if you cannot produce it they will just assume you didn't have it, onus of proof or not.
Not really a problem encountered a lot though as if you declare a Cat 1 Alarm like what is on my bike almost all insurers I know of make you fax/e-mail them a scan of the fitting certificate which includes the bike's registration mark etc. ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|