Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPZ500S rear tyre?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:55 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: GPZ500S rear tyre? Reply with quote

I am looking to replace the rear tyre on my GPZ500S, as it has about 2-2.5mm of tread on it

It's the 1991 model with 16" rims. Does anyone have any recommendations of what tyre to go for?

I would ideally like one that'll do a good amount of mileage before becoming knackered, but that also has better grip than cheap tyres (if that makes sense) my budget is around £80-£100 realistically.

It currently has a BT45 on it, but I was just wondering if there were any similar tyres for; 1. less money and/or 2. better spec tyres for the same money

Cheers in advance,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get better than a BT45 for a GPZ500, don't even look at anything else.

No one has come close to beating the BT45 on commuter bikes, and you're limited anyway as not alot of tyre companies make the size the early GPZ takes. IIRC its 120/90-16 right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:16 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCraig wrote:
You can't get better than a BT45 for a GPZ500, don't even look at anything else.

No one has come close to beating the BT45 on commuter bikes, and you're limited anyway as not alot of tyre companies make the size the early GPZ takes. IIRC its 120/90-16 right?

Yeah I was thinking another BT45, but I just wanted to check what alternatives were out there ahaha

And yep they're a 120/90-16 on the rear and a 100/90-16 up front (phwoarrrrrrh I better be careful with all that tyre girth...haha I don't think so)

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, you can't better a BT45 for all round performance and grip etc.

Whatever you do don't go anywhere near Dunlops, I had a K503 on the back of my old GPZ and it slid everywhere it shouldn't!

Macie_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCraig wrote:

+1 Thumbs Up

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live near Manchester I have a wheel with near brand new tyre doing nothing but get in my way. The brake drum has rusted at one point so gives a pump to the pedal, it will probably clean itself up with use but I just replaced it.

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the gpz had a 130 90 16? That's what mines got on it, a 'barracuda'... Quality tyre Wink. Going to upgrade to a battlax soon.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear tyre can take a 130/90-16 but the original spec is 120/90.

The newer ones are 130/70-17 though.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the BT45.

Avon Roadrider if you can get the size isn't a bad option for a commuter in terms of grip and mileage either. Thumbs Up

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: GPZ500S rear tyre? Reply with quote

MikeyBrown wrote:
I am looking to replace the rear tyre on my GPZ500S, as it has about 2-2.5mm of tread on it

It's the 1991 model with 16" rims. Does anyone have any recommendations of what tyre to go for?

I would ideally like one that'll do a good amount of mileage before becoming knackered, but that also has better grip than cheap tyres (if that makes sense) my budget is around £80-£100 realistically.

It currently has a BT45 on it, but I was just wondering if there were any similar tyres for; 1. less money and/or 2. better spec tyres for the same money

Cheers in advance,
Mike

Avon Roadriders are the best for mileage and present better value for a high mileage rider than the BT45 which is prone to wearing in an irregular pattern, ie most of the tyre looks okay but bald spots appear in odd places writing the tyre off prematurely.
With the Avon's they simply last as you get very uniform wear all round the tyre.
Wasn't impressed with how quickly the BT45's wore out, the Avon's on the other hand are good for 10-12k quite happily on the gpz.
Only downside is the Avon's do feel a little less confident in the wet, but they are very predictable nonetheless.
About 60-70 £ for the gpz rear.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any issues with abnormal wear on BT45s in the 7 years I used them. But I suppose it depends on your riding style and usage.

If you're on the motorway all week then they will square off like any tyre.

They are old now, but if they ain't broke they don't need fixing. Surely that says something though they've been out for donkeys years now and bridgestone haven't and cannot better them.

When you look at Avons, Metzelers and Dunlops they're always trying to improve them...

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:25 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, I'll look into both the BT45s and those Avon RoadRiders (the mileage of the Avons appeals to me, but the grip of the BT45 does too :/ ahaha)

Just a quick question on the oversized 130 back tyre. What difference will this make and is it wise to overlarge the tyre or should I just get the 120/90 and keep it standard?

Thanks again for all your comments Smile

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCraig wrote:
I never had any issues with abnormal wear on BT45s in the 7 years I used them. But I suppose it depends on your riding style and usage.

If you're on the motorway all week then they will square off like any tyre.

They are old now, but if they ain't broke they don't need fixing. Surely that says something though they've been out for donkeys years now and bridgestone haven't and cannot better them.

When you look at Avons, Metzelers and Dunlops they're always trying to improve them...

I just find them expensive and they wear out far more quickly than avon roadriders. They probably are more grippy especially in wet but the wear is just too high for me to want to use them, they also tend to wear unevenly in patches which writes them off prematurely rather than allowing you to get the full life out of the tyre unlike the avon's.
I reckon about 8000 miles max from the bridgestones against maybe 10-12k from avons.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyBrown wrote:
Hmmmmm, I'll look into both the BT45s and those Avon RoadRiders (the mileage of the Avons appeals to me, but the grip of the BT45 does too :/ ahaha)

Just a quick question on the oversized 130 back tyre. What difference will this make and is it wise to overlarge the tyre or should I just get the 120/90 and keep it standard?

Thanks again for all your comments Smile

I didn't notice much difference other than the appearance of the wider tyre, the profile may make the bike sit a little higher though.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeseybeaner wrote:

I just find them expensive and they wear out far more quickly than avon roadriders. They probably are more grippy especially in wet but the wear is just too high for me to want to use them, they also tend to wear unevenly in patches which writes them off prematurely rather than allowing you to get the full life out of the tyre unlike the avon's.
I reckon about 8000 miles max from the bridgestones against maybe 10-12k from avons.

I never had patchy wear on any BT45s? And I ran them on 2 GS500s, 1 ER-5, and a GPZ500S. And they all lasted fairly well between 9-10k, but then again I think if you're riding a bike you want grip more than you do longevity, after all longevity ain't gonna keep you upright when you need grip the most. Razz

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCraig wrote:

I never had patchy wear on any BT45s? And I ran them on 2 GS500s, 1 ER-5, and a GPZ500S. And they all lasted fairly well between 9-10k, but then again I think if you're riding a bike you want grip more than you do longevity, after all longevity ain't gonna keep you upright when you need grip the most. Razz

Personally I get sick of changing tyres every two months, the roadriders last at least 3-4k longer and are cheaper to boot.
The problem with bt 45s is the tread pattern tends to give a patchy wear, they don't last as long due to this.
I don't find the level of grip a problem with the roadriders.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:07 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of grip with ther BT45. I like them and that bike likes them.

My mate Duncan who is a pretty capable club racer rates roadriders pretty well on both the road and for track racing obscure bikes with oddball tyre sizes. He had them on his RD500 and rode absolute rings round me on my VFR.

That said, GPZs can be fussy about tyre choice, BT45s are a known quantity and they provide enough grip to scuff the belly-pan on a dry, grippy road.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running a Conti -Go tyre on the rear of my GPZ and a Pirelli MT75 on the front!

Both grip enough to grind the centre stand away.

APT Motorcycles

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had contis on the 400 Zeph (before changing to roadrunners) and I found them absolutely dreadful in the wet. Sad

I'm not exactly the most extreme rider you will encounter in any conditions but the rear slid on me on roundabouts a couple of times when I was running the contis. Never had a problem once I swapped to the roadrunners. I have BT45s on the 550 Zeph and if anything I would say the grip is slightly better, especially in the wet. I could spin up the 400, not mnanaged that on the 550 yet!

Can't really comment on the life though as I sold the 400 with the roadrunners on after about 1000 miles and so far I've probably done about 5000 on the 550 since I put the BT45s on it. They still look like new.....

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
Im running a Conti -Go tyre on the rear of my GPZ and a Pirelli MT75 on the front!

Both grip enough to grind the centre stand away.

Thats a new option, what do they wear like and are they alright in wet conditions?

I might add a Conti-Go to the list if they seem alright Thumbs Up I've seen them in 120/80 fitment for £45, but what difference will that make, as the BT45s are a 90 profile? Would I notice it or...?

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really expect any road tyre to work 'well' in wet conditions. ( after running a set of race wets, nothing compares)

They grip fine. As do the majority of tyres.

An 80 is a lower profile than a 90. So itll probably be slower steering. As to if you notice it? I have no idea as ive never ridden an early GPZ on a 90 and an 80 profile tyre to tell!

APT Motorcycles

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Confused Confused

*invokes foreign language translator program*

Embarassed Shifty

ratfighters ftw
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirelli sport demons on mine Thumbs Up

ratfighters ftw
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirelli sport demons on mine Thumbs Up

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, what difference does it make using a 130 instead of a 120? I would hate to put a 120 on it, that's smaller than an aprilia rs125!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2