Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain, sprockets and clutch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mellow Matt
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:24 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Chain, sprockets and clutch Reply with quote

Could anyone point out some decent places where I could buy a chain and sprocket set (and chain fitting tool?) and a clutch kit for my TLR please?

Also, would a chain that fits the standard sprockets fit on a -1 front sprocket coupled with a rear +1 sprocket?

Ta Smile

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should do, you're removing a tooth and adding one, which brings it right back to where you were. Also, I don't know about were to get your replacement parts, but try wemoto? I got a chain, sprocket, brake pads, etc from there.

Mellow Matt
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:39 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out Wemoto thanks Thumbs Up

Yeah, that's what I thought about the chain but wasn't sure if the different sizes of the sprockets would mean the diameters change by different amounts with the addition/subtraction of a tooth...

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
It should do, you're removing a tooth and adding one, which brings it right back to where you were.

The chain length should be the same, but the gearing will obviously change.

Try B&C Express for most of that stuff.

Mellow Matt
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's time I get my arse in gear (ah-ha!) and get all this sorted.

Can anyone tell me if this Tsubaki kit is £40 better than this DID kit?

Also, would this be up to the task of removing my old chain and fitting the new?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!) I think my clutch is on the way out, so any reason why I shouldn't these clutch plates and springs? I know they're cork and I could get kevlar, but I think that might be overkill...?

Thanks! Very Happy

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Matt wrote:
Thanks guys, it's time I get my arse in gear (ah-ha!) and get all this sorted.

Can anyone tell me if this Tsubaki kit is £40 better than this DID kit?

Also, would this be up to the task of removing my old chain and fitting the new?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!) I think my clutch is on the way out, so any reason why I shouldn't these clutch plates and springs? I know they're cork and I could get kevlar, but I think that might be overkill...?

Thanks! Very Happy

I'd go for the DID, they are OEM fit on a huge number of bikes, I have one on atm and can't fault it. I don't see any real reason to pay more for something that does the same thing.

As for the tool, cheap ones are never really up to the task of removing a chain, use a hacksaw/grinder/bolt croppers to remove the old chain and just use the tool to install the new one.

IMO those type seem crap, I bought this one (the original one you posted is also cheaper on this site though).

https://bikespeeduk.com/epages/steer2916.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/steer2916/Categories/Tools__Essentials

and rate it well for the price, mine needed a tiny modification to work for the DID chain - two holes in one of the attachments need widening slightly - dremel/file/drill will do it in a few seconds. The link I posted also do C+S kits very cheap, take a second to see if your bike is listed as they are normally £20-£30 less than wemoto.

i.e. https://bikespeeduk.com/epages/steer2916.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/steer2916/Products/3126VM

Chain tool instructions
https://www.pashnit.com/pics/products/motionpro/08-0058.I8-0058.pdf

The tool I listed is a clone of the one in the instruction pdf above, the bit you would need to modify is the part labelled L with the two holes in it - just make them wider.

EDIT: whenever anyone asks about chains and sprockets I seem to pimp that website, I assure you I don't work for them they are just the cheapest Thumbs Up .

Mellow Matt
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks a lot Donny Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1