Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Film industry takes action to prevent illegal downloads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Film industry takes action to prevent illegal downloads Reply with quote

I'm a subscriber to Newsbinz and hope this falls on its ass
they already tried unsuccessfully tried to shut newsbinz and failed
this looks like there new tactic

Quote:
The film industry is taking action to block access to a website which, it says, promotes piracy.

In a legal first, the Motion Picture Association wants to force BT to stop its customers from visiting Newzbin, which provides links to pirate versions of films, music and TV.

____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we got a letter from our ISP saying this is our first strike for downloading copyrighted content we have had to stop torrenting.

There are better and easier ways to download films and music and stuff. Also not trackable. Only problem is it costs a couple of euros a month. Totally worth it though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for them. I mean, fair play to you if you can get away with it but it's no different to walking into HMV and sliding a DVD into your inside pocket.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is a little different to going HMV and stealing, but yes it is still wrong. If it is the case that these films will not be on the net, then I won't watch them. No one gains as opposed to just me. Lol.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use letmewatchthis.com for my movies. Rarely will I watch one more than once and any I do watch more than once I have on DVD.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway even if the do force BT and other UK ISP's to block the site it won't stop people
I often use Anon proxies to link to torrents so there block will be useless

had a similar issue a while back with Ultimate guitar.com where certain tabs were blocked by UK ISP's
I just switched to a US based Proxy and got the tab's I wanted

Oh I do pay a fee to newsbinz & powerusernet every month to use there service's

OP
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they're not making enough money already. Rolling Eyes
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used newzbin for a while, i didn't see that it was worth paying for, now i just use nzbs.org. Even if blocked you could still access it using something like Tor.
Torrent is really dodgy as you're actually sharing content with others, newsgroups is less so as you're just downloading. Yet torrents are still working just fine even years after the movie industry started their clamp down.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Good for them. I mean, fair play to you if you can get away with it but it's no different to walking into HMV and sliding a DVD into your inside pocket whilst magically leaving the original DVD still on the shelf.


Fixed Thumbs Up
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
Good for them. I mean, fair play to you if you can get away with it but it's no different to walking into HMV and sliding a DVD into your inside pocket whilst magically leaving the original DVD still on the shelf.


Fixed Thumbs Up


Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't theft defined as the intent to permanently deprive? Therefore if you don' deny somebody a copy of a film by stealing a physical copy, and you don't intend to buy the film then no one is deprived of anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When everyone in both the movie and music industries are on a max salary of £50k a year, including the performers, and movies and songs are retailing at no more than 5p each (digital), I'll buy them legit. Until then they can go fcuk their parasitic selves.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
Good for them. I mean, fair play to you if you can get away with it but it's no different to walking into HMV and sliding a DVD into your inside pocket whilst magically leaving the original DVD still on the shelf.


Fixed Thumbs Up


Frost wrote:
Isn't theft defined as the intent to permanently deprive? Therefore if you don' deny somebody a copy of a film by stealing a physical copy, and you don't intend to buy the film then no one is deprived of anything.


Well, I see both your points, but you could be depriving them of a sale.. the one they may have made to you if illegal downloads didn't exist at all.

Anyway, I wasn't intending to come across all preachy. I couldn't give a toss about an industry that makes billions a year whilst providing some pretty shoddy merchandise in the main, hence the "fair play" in my original post. I do respect their attempts to stop the piracy though.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

Frost wrote:
you don't intend to buy the film then no one is deprived of anything.


Well, I see both your points, but you could be depriving them of a sale.. the one they may have made to you if illegal downloads didn't exist at all.


Like i said all the films i've watched recently have not been ones i'd be willing to go to the cinema to see let alone spend 25 quid on a DVD of.

As for music artists make fuck all off a CD, look how many people there are from pop music who now have nothing. The big money is in concerts and festivals so when bands give their stuff away for free they get more fans and more people at their concerts.
Movies need the cinema and DVD sales to fund them as their budgets are the same as the GDP of an african nation. Lower budget movies with an actual decent plot and dialogue would have no problem making money, but the movie studios are obsessed with the status if gives their company making hundred million dollar shit heaps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 07 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Well, I see both your points, but you could be depriving them of a sale.. the one they may have made to you if illegal downloads didn't exist at all.


I only pirate stuff I would never pay for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:29 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug97 wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
Well, I see both your points, but you could be depriving them of a sale.. the one they may have made to you if illegal downloads didn't exist at all.


I only pirate stuff I would never pay for.

This is actually the argument used in copyright sometimes. How can a company suffer loss, if you never intended to buy it Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortuna wrote:
This is actually the argument used in copyright sometimes. How can a company suffer loss, if you never intended to buy it Laughing


Precisely what my defence will be if I ever get caught downloading anything. Not that I do download things of course... Laughing
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clique
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
When everyone in both the movie and music industries are on a max salary of £50k a year, including the performers, and movies and songs are retailing at no more than 5p each (digital), I'll buy them legit. Until then they can go fcuk their parasitic selves.


I'd like to think that I'm providing opportunity for the telecommunications sector to develop super fast broadband.

Let's face it, its more useful than feeding the actors drug habit Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Chris_
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll only drop the domain name (judging by past efforts), so the IP or redirectors will still work fine.

They'll be blocking Google next for filetype:nzb Rolling Eyes
____________________
Just getting started
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellbound
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
When everyone in both the movie and music industries are on a max salary of £50k a year, including the performers, and movies and songs are retailing at no more than 5p each (digital), I'll buy them legit. Until then they can go fcuk their parasitic selves.


This, it costs alot less to make an album/DVD than the £15 price tag in the shops

And films make their money from the box office, anything after that is a bonus
____________________
May you always see the road rising up to meet you and your enemies defeated in the mirror behind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're going to start making films people want to pay to see again?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sniff6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 08 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Illegally downloading pirated films is costing hundreds of millions of pounds a year".

What site are they downloading them off? It's free for me...
____________________
'Great Britain' Love it https://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3967/67004290.gif or Leave it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The View Askew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
When everyone in both the movie and music industries are on a max salary of £50k a year, including the performers, and movies and songs are retailing at no more than 5p each (digital), I'll buy them legit. Until then they can go fcuk their parasitic selves.


So where is the reward for making outstanding products if you can't rake it in as an added bonus?

Don't think I am anti piracy, I download everything from the web, but I can understand that people in a position to get obscenely rich from making movies want to maximise their return for their investment of time, money, and creativity into production.

Do they get enough as it is? Yes! Do I feel bad about depriving them of a little more by pirating things? Absolutely not! however capping everyone's salary? that is surely not needed, just leave the situation as it is, the pirates/hackers ALWAYS defeat the anti piracy/security measures, look at Sony for instance, MS had the sense to just stick to banning and patching when the 360 was cracked, playing hardball with the hackers caused a whole world of shit for Sony!

In my opinion the best thing the anti piracy wombles can do to encourage people to buy media is to immediately stop forcing people to watch annoying piracy warnings on genuine products, something you do not see on a downloaded film, and to continue to give people 3 packs with a Blu-Ray, a DVD, and a digital copy included (this is being done now) for a good price, no matter how cheap it is, the jump between cheap and not sold at all is always nice and profitable!

Stop annoying DRM in games, which pirate copy end users can circumvent during the installation process in seconds, and plague genuine users into having to be connected to the internet to even play a game they OWN.

I do feel a lot of piracy is brought on themselves, but I would never cap anybody's salary.

Just trying to get sites banned is cowardice, they should play technical games with pirates, invest some of that fat pile of capital into coming up with anti piracy measures that are invisible, but do the job, THEN they deserve that extra income.
____________________
"Do what you always did, get what you always got"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 11 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc originally posted this which is so true.

https://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5666/piratesgetbetterdvdexpe.jpg
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 128.73 Kb