Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter Gloves... Anyone who has these?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Winter Gloves... Anyone who has these? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know the winter months arn't here yet... well I say not here, but with the amount of rain we've had recently...

Anyways, In advance, I wanna get some winter gloves.
I've been search through the net for ages looking at reviews etc and changing my mind about different ones.

I Want the to be as waterproof as possible, Nice and warm thermal, Have hard Knuckle protection, and not pay more than around £80.
Also I want ones that go under the sleeve, and that are not too thick.

I've seen a few that I like the look of but I really want to know if any of you own a pair already to give some oppinions on them.

Heres some I like:

Weise Manx - £50
https://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/img/products/weise_manx_waterproof_glove_blue.jpg

Alpinestars Arctic - £70
https://www.mxsouth.com/street/alpinestars/alpinestars-gloves-artic-drystar-gloves_1.jpg

Dainese KKH - £80
https://www.dainese.me.uk/uploaded_images/dainese_kkh_d-dry__1318121312.jpg

I know most would recommend heat gloves and grips but I just want to focus on a nice pair of winter gloves for now. If anyone can give info on these specific glove, or if you have any other suggestions that will be great. Thanks Thumbs Up

lucky rsm
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:20 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, none of the above apply. have never found a pair of winter gloves that didn't leak water or still ended up getting frostbite in your finger tips after more than 40min's of riding,

Sorting out winter gear for riding, depends a lot on how far your gonna ride, and at what times??

I commute over an hour each way a day at early hours of the morning, only way i found to stop the cold at minus temperatures was with thick winter gloves, heated grips and handle bar muffs, look like a tit can't move me hands properly, but could still feel my fingers when i got off Very Happy

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used these last winter: https://www.twowheel.co.uk/spada-claw-wp-waterproof-gloves.html

Were fantastic for the 10 mile commute to work at 6am every morning, not even ahint of cold fingers/hand. Not sure how they would cope for further distances but were great for me.

https://www.facebook.com/carl.simmonds.7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Speedy3
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/gloves/hein-gericke-pathan-evo-sheltexr-3-finger-handschuhe-schwarz.html

These are awesome
Current bike: 2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 :: Previous Bikes: 2001 Kawasaki ZZR-600 E9 (Sold) 1996 Yamaha Diversion 600s (Sold),1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk (Sold), 1988 Honda VFR 400 NC24 (Written Off), 1987 Honda CB350 S-G (Sold), Yamaha DT125 (Sold), Honda X8R-S 50cc (Stolen)

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh hehe oky dokey, noted Smile

Well, wont be riding *alot* in the very very cold snowy type weather, not very late or early hours, but still every few weeks I travel about 2 hours along the motorway. I will be able to feel a significant difference in a Winter style glove to what im wearing at the mo, im sure XD:

https://www.smsmotorcycleclothing.co.uk/images/uploads/New%202011%20Buffalo/322%20Motorcycle%20Gloves%20blue.jpg

I've had these cheapie summer gloves since April last year, wore them all through the winter 2010 lol! They are actually falling apart now haha so I'm sure something a lil warmer styled would be better than these. Laughing

dragstaar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest mate, I know its not what you want to hear, but I've been through what you have already.

I've forked out over £250 on different pairs of winter gloves which, quite frankly, were not up to the job even though they claimed to be. They all ended up freezing through, and leaking water.

Thats when I got Gerbing Heated G3s. Phenomenal gloves. They are toasty warm and i've ridden for 2 hours in -1 degrees, and have had to even switch them off for a bit!

They are expensive at £150 a pop, but they are well worth it. You just need to treat them with some good waterproofing before you use them

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:37 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
I've forked out over £250 on different pairs of winter gloves which, quite frankly, were not up to the job even though they claimed to be. They all ended up freezing through, and leaking water.

You say they've all ended up leaking water, what's you view on Gore-tex gloves? I've read they are supposed to have a lifetime warranty not to let any water in?

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Heine Gericke Pathans here. Used all day every weekday through two winters with no issues, never had problems with leaking other than wicking in from the sleeves on long (4+ hour) motorway runs.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Hein Gericke winter gloves that I use with a set of ski glove liners in and every stop at traffic lights means I can stick my hands on the engine casing for a bit to warm the tips of my fingers. They have been pretty waterproof and saw me through a few downpours without leaking. I heard that gore-tex is supposed to repel water for a bit rather than being totally waterproof.

Short of fitting wraparound hand guards you are going to get cold hands!

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:47 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

Yea I don't doubt that at all unless you go all out on heated stuff Very Happy Like I say though, My hands have been totally drenched and frozen through all last year with those Buffalo's I've got, so any sort of winter glove upgrade this year is definately gonna be better.

I was watching Revzilla reviews on gloves (They are american, but surely it must apply anywhere(?)) and each pair of goretex gloves he reviews he says guarantee'd for life to be waterproof, or they will get replaced if they start leaking.

I'll have to do some further research into it.

UPDATE:

This is from the gore-tex website:

GORE-TEX® FABRIC
Guaranteed to Keep You Dry™.

If you are not completely satisfied with the waterproofness, windproofness, or breathability of a GORE-TEX® product then we will repair it, replace it, or refund your purchase price.

All GORE-TEX® garments and footwear carry our GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® promise.

What does this mean? It means that liquid from the outside won't get to you on the inside. This includes moisture from the wet grass you’re kneeling in to the sudden squall you get caught in. And that's a promise.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

A set of cheap fleece lined muffs makes a world of difference, they just take some getting used to. Many years despatching and I never bothered with heated grips or clothing.

Dagon
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:37 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more reviews:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/

Look at the winter gloves sections. Lots there, including group tests.

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagon wrote:
If you want more reviews:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/

Look at the winter gloves sections. Lots there, including group tests.

Thanks for the link, will take a look Smile cheers

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find any glove WILL leak water after a while (including Heine Gericke Pathans, Alpine Star something or others, etc).
In the end, think of it like constantly keeping a pressure washer on the gloves for a few hours (you are hitting the water at 70-100mph+, so same as it being sprayed at you at that speed.)

What DOES work is muffs - I really like the Tocano Urbano muffs for both keeping hands dry and keeping them warm. I never bothered to fit my heated grip kit because these did such a good job.

Because they don't have to be as breathable of flexible as gloves, they can be made significantly more waterproof. Keeping the cold wet air stream off your hands means it takes a hell of a lot longer for the ambient temperature to start to cause problems. Add some heated grips and you can pretty much wear motocross gloves in the middle of winter and still be toasty warm.

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I find any glove WILL leak water after a while (including Heine Gericke Pathans, Alpine Star something or others, etc).

I've also found this.

Couple of disposable gloves from the petrol station on each hand works wonders. Smile

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
Another vote for the Heine Gericke Pathans here.

And here, mine are the 3 fingered version but after a long ride I do end up with my hand's on the radiator hose's at traffic lights ect.

With the summer we are having they live under the pillion seat and have been used a few times Thumbs Up

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthans + heated grips here too.

I've a set of Oxford muffs that came off halfway into the first ride with them when they started dragging the brakes. Didn't trust them after that, but I'm sure I'll be persuaded to dig them out again when it gets really cold.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:10 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the goretex 'guarentee' above - interesting, maybe I can get a refund on my HG goretex jacket where the liner has the waterproofing in. Silly idea; and still does let water through after a while.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these if you want warm dry hands.

https://www.heldusa.com/freezer.html

In my experience HELD make the best gloves... although I've not crash tested them. The summer gloves are cool and light. And the winter gloves actually keep you hands warms and dry. Plus the winter ones have a cook squeechy (SP) on the finger

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to keep the wind chill down, so it's another vote for muffs from me, since they keep off the worst of the wind and rain.

It's been a while since I bought Winter gear (I'm pretty much a fair weather biker) but when I was despatching, I read every review and tried every product, nothing had the staying power of a decent set of muffs.

Make sure you buy the right size and fit them properly (so they don't foul the brake lever) and you can stick with your Summer gloves all year round.

I would slightly disagree with Tarmacsurfer though. I always go for unlined muffs, because the lining can soak up water; there's not many things worse than sticking your hands into a load of waterlogged fake sheepskin, especially when it's partly frozen!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:06 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

herulach wrote:
Panthans + heated grips here too.

I've a set of Oxford muffs that came off halfway into the first ride with them when they started dragging the brakes. Didn't trust them after that, but I'm sure I'll be persuaded to dig them out again when it gets really cold.

A simple solution
Buy a couple of "eyelets" and bolt the muffs to the bar ends.
Line up the muffs so that you have them in the right place, figure out where the bar end weight bolt meets the muff, mark that spot on both muffs, remove the muffs, cut a small hole at the point you marked, fit the "eyelet", remove the bar end bolts, & refit the muffs, then using a longer bolt on each bar end, and a couple of penny washers (1 inside & 1 outside the muff), fasten the muff thru the eyelet to the bar end. you could put a dab of bath sealer around the bolt/washers to minimise leakage.
This should ensure that the muffs are not pushed back onto the leavers by wind blast.
The eyelets will hopefully stop the muffs fraying, & working loose around the bolts, but you can just cut the holes and bolt thru them

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:06 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fastened my Oxford muffs to the bar ends, but still had trouble with them pushing down, which then translated to 'in' on the levers. I made a bash guard style thing out of some old metal shelving to go around the rear brake. As I mostly was just doing town stuff (ie 40 limits and under) I never bothered with the clutch guard in the end.

The Tucano Urbano come with a bit that sits over and grips on to your bar end - they are stiffer (and longer) than the oxford ones, so you don't get them pushing on the levers. When you're starting to talk double the motorway speed limit they do push down a bit if they're angled down, but it's still 'tolerable' at least.

And I found while the furr-lined entrance could get a bit wet if you forgot and left them pointed up, it didn't get further in because they are fairly 'tight' and still your hands were warmer - presuming you have a waterproof glove and jacket on, the water never really seemed to get through - presumably because it's not hitting you at 70mph, etc Smile.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:30 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to read as it will be the same as all the others the general consensus is the HG lobster gloves are the best.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/223042/images/pathan.jpg

Many people will say muffs but I think they interfere with controls and are awkward they also are as ugly as sin. I prefer hand handguards.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/21e0004a.jpg

With those gloves those guards and a set of heated grips I have never had an issue.

MissBex
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
In regards to the goretex 'guarentee' above - interesting, maybe I can get a refund on my HG goretex jacket where the liner has the waterproofing in. Silly idea; and still does let water through after a while.

Yea You should definately check cause this is what it says about it:

“Wet out” can put a real damper on your day. That’s when liquid saturates your garment’s outer fabric, leaving you feeling damp and clammy as if your garment were leaking, even when it’s not.

To prevent wet out, all GORE-TEX® shell fabrics are treated with an ultra thin treatment called DWR, a durable water repellent polymer that is applied to the outermost fabric layer. DWR penetrates the fibres and lowers the surface tension of the fabric, causing water to bead up and roll off the outer layer of fabric, instead of being absorbed.

DWR is not permanent though. Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, insect repellent and other impurities can shorten its lifespan. The good news is that restoring the water repellency of your GORE-TEX® shell is extremely easy.

How to Restore Water Repellency

GORE-TEX® outerwear:
Just wash it, rinse it and put it in the dryer, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The washing removes contaminants and the heat from the dryer helps redistribute the DWR treatment on the fabric surface.

If water fails to bead up on the surface of your cleaned and tumble dried garment, its DWR treatment has reached the end of its useful life. But don’t worry y ou can restore the garment’s water repellency by following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Quote:
Many people will say muffs but I think they interfere with controls and are awkward they also are as ugly as sin. I prefer hand handguards.

Thats a good idea, I'll have to see if I can get some of them.

Nixon
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:18 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with rain and gloves are that because of the angle of your arm in the rain, water will always roll down your arm and down the cuff of your glove. The simplest way to remedy this is to put your jacket cuff over the outside of the glove. But this can cause wind to blow up the sleeve if your jacket isn't double cuffed.

I had the Weise Fusion gloves similar to the manx but with less armour. They were pretty good budget winter gloves, they didn't leak, kept me fairly warm and survived a slow speed spill on the ice so would recommend Weise Gloves Thumbs Up

https://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/product-details.aspx?prd=3975 I have these now and they are without a doubt fantastic!! Never leaked, keep very warm, warmer than the Weise, Goretex and I can still do the Double D on my helmet with the gloves on Cool Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2