Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What would the cost be to put a ktm 125 sx on the road.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

b0unt1 tw1ns
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:56 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: What would the cost be to put a ktm 125 sx on the road. Reply with quote

Hi peeps im thinking of buying a ktm 125 sx of ebay and want to get it road registered so i can drive it legally on the road.
Ive never done anything like this before so i dont have a clue what to do. Id be able to put all the lights on the bike ect as im a mechanic, auto elcetrition.

I just want to know the cost for every thing if any one has ever done it and what it cost them in total.

Kind regats Tom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:25 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your Q on workshop (+cost of putting a moto cross on road)
Why do you want to do this?
First off, to ride KTM125SX 'legally' on the road, you would have to have full licence, it is not a Learner Legal bike.
Its too light and maks too much power.
(Add on Ed: just checked specs; cant find a 'quoted' crankshaft power, but weight is 93Kg. At that mass, it would breach power to weight limit even for a full licence hold on 33bhp restrict, if it made as little as 25bhp ish! About what a de-restricted DT makes)
Next; its a comper; it drinks pre mix, has no side stand, no lights, no equipment and not for road use tyres. A harsh unforgiving powr band and very short service intervals.
YES, you could use one on the road.... you dont HAVE to add lights or anything, just a horn and a number plate.... and make sur that the exhaust is quiet enough to meet regs, and the tyres ar street legal.
BUT, if you are thiking that its a good laugh to get to and from college and burn off the lads with de restricted DT's from the lights, think again!
This engines are highly tuned, and demand the petrol and oil be mixed pretty accurately before being put in the tank. too much oil and the plug fouls, too little and the engine siezes... sloshing a bit of 2T in the filler when you fill up at th pump, is not a good way to be sure of reliability! and its a definite pain in the arse.
You then have the matter of service intervals, which make an Aprillia RS125 look fairly undemanding. Crank life measured in hours, etc.
Actually converting to road trim?
Well, many many ways; as you were told, lgal minimum of 'off road' vehicle is to get it MOT'd with horn, and number plate, quit xhaust and road tyres... no lights needed.
You can for about £100 add a lighting kit.... headlamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp switch, usually worked off rear brake pedal... though tchnically you ought to get front brak lamp switch on KTM as made singe regs demand two switchs.
You get little brackets with the kit to fit it all up, and all you ned to do is wire it to a battery.... which you dont have.... so you need to find or make space for one.
You can thn either run it 'Total Loss', charging th battery up at home off the mains when it goes flat... or ripping the gnrator off and trying to find a compatible stator with lighting coils.... think that ngine is generic and there should b a few available... then you'll need rgulator/rectifier to get it to charge your battery.
For security you can simply chain it up... but you might want to think about finding a home for an ignition switch, and you'll probably want a speedo.... push bike ones are acceptable, and again, thre are kits.....
BUT.... by the time you have made all thse little brackts and bobbins and found homes for equipment, bought th equipment and made it all work....

WHY?

If you want a learner Legal 125 road bike, why not just buy one?

If you want full power 'Dirt Bike'... plenty around with all equipment, already fitted, which are a lot less hassle and a lot more practical, and probably cheaper..

Add on ED: forgot.
See DVLA.gov.uk... you ned to see regs for self registering a vehicle. They are all listed. Basically you get the regulations of what you 'need' to do to it, decide what you want to do to it; do it; then presnt bike for an MOT, which gets loggeed against frame number, then you have to take it for VOSA inspction, to make sure its not nicked, confirm ident, via dating letters or providence of origin, and inspection against C&U Regs (Super Detail MOT!) And if you pass, they give you a number plate.

Manwhile, you will probably want at some point insurance, which as Single Vehicle approved bike, and a modified one, NOT in the Insurers databases, may prove expensiv and problematic.

Bottom line is, we cannot say £752.99p... its a bit of string job. Depnds on what you want to do to make it streetable, and how you do it, and how many hoops you are going to have to jump through or problems you find.,

ONE thing for sure is, it isn't a case of wiring some lamps, filling a few forms and paying £45 for a first class stamp, and it is almost certain done 'legit' to cost more than you coudl gt a dcent road worthy dirt bike for, already registred, which, in most cases would be a darn site easir to live with.

So unless you have some peculiar 'need' of a street legal comper, or quixotic desire for one, 'just for fun' and can live with the costs and impracticality... there's probably very little incentive to even try this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

b0unt1 tw1ns
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:03 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: ktm exc Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all the advice mate its much appricated i just thougt it may be a little cheaper but ovistly not Smile n for all the hassel it sounds like a bad plan. I think ill just buy one.

many many thanks Tom Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1