|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:43 - 29 Feb 2004 Post subject: Jobs in the bike industry. |
 |
|
I've decided this year I'm going to stop being a muppet and finally quit work, I've never been happy there and they eventually changed my job description down to being administrator over the past 6 months. I'm not happy with that, and they don't pay me enough and the work is boring.
I have no idea what I want to do, so after some advice really. What sort of jobs are there in the bike industry? Other than courier (can't do that because I'll never get insured and I can get lost in Sainsbury car park ), I've thought about sales person at a bike shop, but doesn't really suit me.
I want a career with prospects, a future and hopefully well paid!But obviously have to start at the bottom first as usual.
So, any ideas what there is available? And any web sites of job listings specifically for bike industry jobs? I can't find the job section on MCN last time I looked.
P.s. I don't fancy being a mechanic or anything. I can't draw or anything so anything to do with bike design isn't going to happen.
Cheers. ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:48 - 29 Feb 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Other than getting an office job with one of the manafactures I can't think of much. And other than the fact you're working for Honda or whatever it's likely to be just as good or bad as any other job.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:46 - 29 Feb 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I agree 100% with Ste, Other than design, factory or administrative jobs (or sales) there ain't a lot in the bike industry.
Plus I find, working in the Broadcast industry , that I now hate television and radio. I could see that happening with bikes too.
Instead of, "Whoah, there goes a bike!"
You'll be "Whoah there goes my job..."
Don't do it.  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:54 - 29 Feb 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Problem I've always had, and still have now, is I really have no idea what I want to do. I have nothing to aim for so am currently just lazily stuck at my current job. I've been saying for the past 6 months that I want to leave
Think I'll keep an eye around the job section of newspapers and see if anything of interest catches my eye.
I guess I'd like to work in IT/web design, but that is a dieing market these days I think, far too many people doing it and the pay has just dropped now unless your a lucky one-man-band getting some decent jobs in. ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:06 - 29 Feb 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I agree that there ain't much in the way of bike related jobs around, unless you want to work as a mechanic, or for a Dealer, i.e salesman, admin, or similar. It very hard to find jobs that are well paid as well as being motivating, and having decent prospects, and future. Bike journalism is also very hard to get into. I imaging that the coolest jobs in motorcycling would be working for firms that build specials,aftermarket components, race bike tuning, or custom fabrication of specialist parts. i'm thinking firms like Harris, Maxton, TTS, JPH, Spondon, JMC, Straightline racing, Big CC, Mr turbo etc etc. All these are technical specialist engineering roles that many of us would never be able to get into. For me i would personally love to work at Puma Racing, and id love to be involved in the machining of big blocks of steel and Alloy that you know would eventually be helping to propel a guy down the 1/4 mile at obscene speeds, and that the parts your making would be having to cope with around 1000bhp or more. I would think that would be pretty satisfying to know that your components are helping people to set records, and have a reputation for excellent engineering, and being able to cope with more stress than almost anything you can imagine. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jon Anyone for donuts?
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 22 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|