Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


non standard carbs? just thinking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: non standard carbs? just thinking Reply with quote

When I used to play motoball my/our bikes were usually a collection of bits from a number of bikes, but it worked.
However the bikes were made specially for motoball and did`nt need to be set up perfectly for the road.
I used all-sorts of carbs from Jikov`s to Bings, to Mikuni`s but it was always off road.

So I know you dont always need to have the standard carb.
What I want to know, is there an optimum carb/carb size for a road going 125 4-stroke? to gain performance over economy.

Yes I have a full license and a bigger bike so it`s not about me trying to get round any form of restriction.

Your input is appreciated mighty BCF Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make much of a difference I think you would need to change more than just the carb.
You would need to change the cam and exhaust to allow more air through as you increase the amount of fuel it will use.
The bike will run best at a certain fuel to air mixture so if you up the fuel mixture you also need to up the air mixture or it will run worse rather than better.

I don't know which carb would be best but I ran a gn 125 on a gt 550 carb for 9 months.I messed with the main jet to get it right but it was not better or worse the the standard.
I just didn't want to buy a diaphragm for the gn carb. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying about possibly changing cams & valves.
But what I`m thinking is that the bike makers have to get thier bikes through all sorts of controls before they can sell them.
This surely means they set carbs and the like on the safe side of caution?

What I`m thinking is that there may be a little bit of easier breathing and just a tiny smidge of extra accelaration/top speed by just changing the carb to one that is more suited?

I doubt if the bike is worth £200 so a performance engine rebuild is not going to happen Sad .
But going to the breakers and fishing out a better suited carb could be an option? possibly? maybe?.
Yes I could change the jets on the carb I have and I am thinking about that as well.
the reason I ask this question in terms of changing the carb is that as a 125 it will only suck in 125cc`s of air/fuel mix, so there`s no point in having a whopping great dell`orto on there Laughing but there must be an optimum size???? to allow optimum airflow whilst still having the venturi effect
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 22 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the wise old sage`s? we have on the BCF this thread has failed and I am disapoint Sad
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 22 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

How big a carb do you want?

A larger carb will provide less of a restriction at high rpm. But as a carb works by creating a restriction , resulting in a low pressure area to draw fuel from the float bowl they tend not to work well if you use a large carb with at small rpm. They tended to become very non idiot proof.

There are ways round this. Most larger bikes use CV carbs. With these it doesn't matter if the bod riding it just cracks the throttle wide open at low revs, there won't be enough of an air pressure change to open the slide. Down side is that they do limit ultimate power and do slightly reduce throttle response compared to a slide carb (but also tend to give a FAR lighter throttle).

A lot of cars (and some larger bikes - often large Italian twins) used accelerator pumps on the carbs. With these opening the throttle squirted a load of petrol straight into the engine so when you opened the throttle hard at low revs the engine wasn't relying on the virtually non existent low pressure through the carb to draw fuel from the float bowl.

There are graphs around of carb size to the amount of power required, so you can go from that. Realistically a road going 4 stroke single isn't going to manage 20hp (most of them will be doing very well to produce 3/4 of that), so using a carb large enough to keep a 25hp engine happy is not going to gain you any top end but likely will lose you flexibility.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 22 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of 4-strokes imported into this country will have a hard job producing 14 bhp.
But I`m guessing that for other markets around the world some of those same bikes will produce just that little bit more bhp due to some minor differences like carbs,carb settings, airbox sizes and nothing to drastic like engine differences.

what I`m trying to get to the bottom of is , is there a rule of thumb regarding carbs/carb sizes to get the best out of a 4-stroke?

The carb on this Sachs at the moment is a diaphram type Mikuni, 26mm I think.
Would I get a better response from this little engine with a ordinary slide carb of the same size? (26mm)

What I`m saying is that the engine seems like it`s not being allowed to give it`s all, or like it`s trying to breath through a thick wooly jumper.

Yes the engine is in good order ie valves, timing, & compression.
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 22 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not that much difference in some ways. 125s have their main market in Europe due to learner laws while loads of other markets have different laws meaning different capacities (hence the 150cc bikes related to European 125s).

A 26mm CV is a fairly large carb for a 4 stroke 125. 26mm slide carb would be massive (enough for well over 20hp).

Probably more difference to be made from the length of the exhaust, cam timing and the length of the intake.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Asimo
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really wanted to throw money at the sachs then consider the fxr150 conversion. Plenty of others have thought about it but getting parts shipped from new zealand was the main issue other than cost.

You'd then be looking at a 28 or 30mm carb I think.

Could always convert it to a two stroke, doubt it'd be hard since sachs made one to start with.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 22 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MZ660 had two carbs feeding the one cylinder. A small slide carb and a big CV carb with no slow running circuit. The linkage was arranged such that the slide carb opened for the first third of throttle opening, then the linkage picked up the butterfly for the CV.

Struck me as quite a good system for a single cylinder bike. Fine control of fuelling at lower revs, full-bore-roar at higher revs.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My MZ660 had two carbs feeding the one cylinder. A small slide carb and a big CV carb with no slow running circuit. The linkage was arranged such that the slide carb opened for the first third of throttle opening, then the linkage picked up the butterfly for the CV.

Struck me as quite a good system for a single cylinder bike. Fine control of fuelling at lower revs, full-bore-roar at higher revs.


Have a feeling Yamaha had a similar arrangement to that on some bikes; pretty sure it was on four-valve T550, thirty years ago with an acronym like YICS or some such.
Kickstart wrote:
A 26mm CV is a fairly large carb for a 4 stroke 125. 26mm slide carb would be massive (enough for well over 20hp).


Honda CB 'Two Fifty' only has a single 26mm carb and makes a claimed 21bhp... so it's about on the button; but it's a softly tuned engine.

CB125, in full power form, offers 17bhp and runs twin 26 slide carbs, each feeding a miniscule 62cc pot.

As Keith says though; carb is simply a fuel metering device, mixing fuel and air in the right ratio to make a charge that will burn.... it doesn't hold the key to either fuel ecconomy or power, that's in the engine's state of tune; the architecture of the porting, how big the valves are, when and how far the cam-shaft opens them, and how fast the engine can spin before it runs out of puff.....

125cc cylinder will rarely suck a full 125cc of charge in every cycle.

Throttle artificially chokes flow into the engine to goivern power, and all but full throttle, and even then, pressure difference between atmospheric pressure outside the engine and the small vaccuum created at the piston top, is often only 'just' enough to get air moving and heading into the engine.

As revs increase, that 'suck' can get stronger, but like wind resistance when riding, faster you go, greater the resistance gets.

Closest you get to maximum cylinder fill, tends to be around peak torque in the rev range, where an optima is found between suck and drag.... on highly tuned engines, that can be close ot even co incident with peak power, but on most, peak power is some way up the rev range, the engine starting to short fill and loose burn pressure from that, and combustion speed, but still increasing in delivered power from the fact its making less pressure, but much more often, as revs increase.

Only where that 'short fill' is caused by impediment to charge flow, AND that impediment to charge flow caused by the carburettor, will changing the carburettor 'pottentially' help increase power.

Some-times actually using a SMALLER carburettor can see a 'net' power increase, where smaller choke increases gas speed and the 'inertial charging' effect as the valve closes, the faster moving gas not wanting to slow down, or at least not turn around and come back out!

However, far more often the converse is true and using a larger carburettor will REDUCE power from the opposite effect, as WELL as making throttle response less precice, and the 'carburation' more wooly.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My MZ660 had two carbs feeding the one cylinder. A small slide carb and a big CV carb with no slow running circuit. The linkage was arranged such that the slide carb opened for the first third of throttle opening, then the linkage picked up the butterfly for the CV.

Struck me as quite a good system for a single cylinder bike. Fine control of fuelling at lower revs, full-bore-roar at higher revs.


The SLR/Vigor 650 hondas had a far superior system.

Standard CV carb but had a small lifter arm connected to the throttle mech that lifted the CV slide directly for the first 1/4 throttle. Avoided the unnecessarily complicated yamaha system.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ClockworkJesu...
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:28 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my two cents. Can't be 100% beneficial but, y'know; I have my excuses.

Anyway, I had a lil' carbed 50cc 4-stroke scooter. The previous owner had stuck an 80 jet in it and I put a K&N-style air-filter on the carb to allow it to breath better.

In all honestly, all I really did was decrease MPG and make it sound like a brute of a 50. Thanks to the lack of restriction, down-hill I could achieve 55 or so; but on a flat I felt no increase in total power.

Lesson I learnt was that bigger jets and more-open airflow is useless if you're not changing other parts of the engine; such as the total bore-size to warrant more fuel and increase down-drawn vacuum, and/or sports exhausts to open the engine up to allow for increased intake.

Once you start modifying engines, they stop working within the parameters they were designed for. Sometimes this means more power, but sometimes it means you just lose reliability.

Kay, I'm done. Good luck!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 23 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you people, I think you`ve answered my question Thumbs Up Smile

I really dont want to start mucking about with the internals of the engine and it appears that this carb is best left alone Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 91.03 Kb