Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:26 - 12 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How far would you have to go in order to satirise 2016 society and politics though? I honestly can't tell what's real any more. Tampons in men's bathrooms because "both sexes menstruate". Eh?

OT, my current guilty pleasure is Once Upon a Time, so... er... maybe I am manstruating. Thinking

Tut Tut - best wait for the '2010s' boxset to be out... we're still mid-season! Wink

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:29 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Just watched episode 1 of Band of Brothers (mentioned on page 1) and thought David Schwimmer still looked really young... didn't realise its 15 years old Smile Seemed to remember bits of it so I might have seen it before, or maybe I'm getting confused with Saving Ryan's privates, either way it seemed a bit slow so I'm looking for something else.

Might give breaking bad another go, see if I can still fail to work out what everyone's going on about.

It soon picks up from the second episode onwards Thumbs Up I watched it again recently and I still think it's the best series ever

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sails

Wow.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

It soon picks up from the second episode onwards Thumbs Up I watched it again recently and I still think it's the best series ever

I gave it another go, taking a swig everytime someone got shot, after about 5 minutesshdbjdvdkfnd....................

https://i.imgur.com/xcgwNR7.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:39 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Robot - so far, while it may be the "best yet", the techy stuff is still pretty terrible.

I wonder if there's a really agitated "environmental reality" person that keeps getting over ruled for the sake of drama/cinematic experience.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
So, did anyone watch The Night Of, yet?

DLing now - to add to my huge pile of stuff-to-watch.
Just finished Stranger Things - really enjoyed it, Winona grated on me a bit though - a bit wide-eyed, washed out & manic - every time I saw her on screen it made me conscious I was watching TV.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Stranger things reminded me of when I was young.
I cant put my finger on it, but it was as if the whole thing had been written and directed in the 80's.

Being set in the 80s, I think that was the goal. It also added an extra-layer of enjoyment for me too - it almost brought back the excitement of The Goonies/ET.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch seems pretty good, just started watching it. I might actually buy a amazon prime subscription, assuming they discount them during the black Friday sales Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:16 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

BOOM, dropped like a hammer.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvhpvwlkLP1qjhyjdo1_500.jpg

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:05 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.

Westworld - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4

Written by visionary Jonathan Nolan (Dark Knight, The Prestige, Inception) and directed by JJ Abrams.

Sir Anthony Hopkins amongst a lot of other big names. Robots, dreamworld, ai.

It premiered EP1 last night on HBO, go download it now or wait for Sky Atlantic (if it shows it).

This is going to replace Game of Thrones as a fucking epic show.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top tip for a hit is Designated Survivor.

Sutherland drops his hard man Jack Bauer role and slips seamlessly into the hard decision making Presidential role, with surgical aplomb.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:54 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that we're on new shows, only just out.

New MacGyver!

Worryingly, I think the explosions are actually worse in this one than the old one!

Oh and yes... go download the entire set of all the old series. Much better so far.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

Written by visionary Jonathan Nolan (Dark Knight, The Prestige, Inception) and directed by JJ Abrams.

It premiered EP1 last night on HBO, go download it now or wait for Sky Atlantic (if it shows it).

Managed to stream 30 seconds before BT decided that they do actually data manage when more than 2 people are online.

However I saw boobies so I'm in Thumbs Up

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

Looks immense, will be downloading this.

Jaykun85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:11 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently bought Quantum leap. Take me back to when used to watch it when I was small Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

BOOM, dropped like a hammer.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvhpvwlkLP1qjhyjdo1_500.jpg

Seems ok so far (watched the first few episodes). Will have to see how it develops and if it holds my attention.
M.C wrote:
Jayy wrote:

Managed to stream 30 seconds before BT decided that they do actually data manage when more than 2 people are online.

However I saw boobies so I'm in Thumbs Up

Again seems alright Smile Nothing really jumped out as amazing in the first episode. It's no Game of Thrones Folded arms

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
[Luke Cage] seems ok so far (watched the first few episodes). Will have to see how it develops and if it holds my attention.

Urgh, I regret my "Awww yeaah".

There's little to recommend it. It's not exciting, clever, gripping or fun.

Yes, I get that Luke Cage's roots are in blaxploitation, but it's very disappointing they haven't actually moved beyond that, or done anything interesting with it. Blackmerican troubles for Blackmericans, is the theme, and it's pretty grating. The timing is unlucky as it coincides with BLM tediously trying to kick off a race war. The desperate fawning virtue signalling from liberal reviewers can sod right off as well.

It's lazy, obvious, slow (2 hours of content crammed into 12 hours of runtime) and not consistently well acted. It seems pretty clear that they cast the most Blackmericanist actors that they could find for each role, and the few c-words who get a crack of the whip throw that into sharp relief.

The inenvritabul mid-season plot twist is unexceptional and I couldn't bring myself to care because the characters are so unsympathetic and stereotypical. It had no real effect on the plot anyway, and over half the season suffers from the problem that the antagonists offer no threat at all, and the whole thing could be wrapped up with 30 seconds of light bitch slapping.

Jessica Jones very cleverly dealt with that in a way that allowed them to keep the dramatic tension building. Luke Cage doesn't feel the need to treat its audience with that much respect, and so it can't be taken anywhere near as seriously as it takes itself.

Helllll no.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 09 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was too gangstaa for me. Actually reminded me of 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin', one seemingly superior black guy being harder than everyone else and coming out on top. The plot twists were annoying and obvious, in that of course the main character isn't going to be killed off a few episodes in Rolling Eyes

It was also incredibly corny, something they tried to poke fun at whilst unwillingly continuing with. If the superhero element wasn't so secondary it might be alright, but it's just an urban/black drama. I've started watching Jessica Jones which so far seems better.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:36 - 09 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It was also incredibly corny, something they tried to poke fun at whilst unwillingly continuing with.

It's hard to make "Bulletproof Shaft" as gritty as they'd like, and Blaxploitation is inherently a bit cobby to begin with. But yes, delivering corny lines (repeatedly) and then calling them out as such (repeatedly) is piss poor writing. Write betterer.

A couple of scenes in episode 12 shows how much better it could have been if they'd just had talent on the team. There are some moments, but I'm genuinely wondering why they felt it necessary to stretch maybe 6 half decent episodes worth out over 13 plodding ones. It's not like Netflix needed the per-episode advert revenue.

M.C wrote:
If the superhero element wasn't so secondary it might be alright, but it's just an urban/black drama.

A second rate one. The Wire, it ain't. And even in the later "action" episodes, my allah, it drags. Scene after scene of Cage grimly doing nothing because... well, no reason, really. Spun out and out until it's completely threadbare. Just take care of bidness.

M.C wrote:
I've started watching Jessica Jones which so far seems better.

That really surprised me, which is why Luke Cage is such a let down. The writing is cleverer, because they found a way to neutralise the easy biff-kapow solutions. The characters are much better realised and acted, and it's not constrained by making it all about the ghetto, talkin' 'bout the ghetto.

sinedtomuch
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:31 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started watching "The Night Of" - if you can last through the first episode you'll love it. Its on sky box sets at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine

At first I thought it was going to be a sit too silly, but it's actually quite funny.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2467372/

Each episode is only about half an hour and there's loads of it. Something like 20 odd per series. Nice to add on to the end of a real TV session just before bed!

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Stranger Things. If you're in your thirties it feels like watching films and TV shows combined with playing computer games that you did when you we're a kid, x-files meets et meets the goonies meets half life meets silent hill. Really enjoyed it.

I dont think you should be allowed to watch westworld until you've watched Crichton's original film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevoriv wrote:
I dont think you should be allowed to watch westworld until you've watched Crichton's original film.

Was that boring as well? I have a special hatred for anything western related, having to sit through a 3 hour western as a kid, thinking thank f**k that's over then there being a 4 hour one on straight after does that to you Very Happy Even back to the future 3 Folded arms

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:38 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot less boring than this one.

But then JJ Abrams wasn't involved.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:04 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Just finished Stranger Things - really enjoyed it, Winona grated on me a bit though - a bit wide-eyed, washed out & manic - every time I saw her on screen it made me conscious I was watching TV.

Her absolutely constant whining, blubbering and shrieking really wrecked it. If there was a character hiding in there, she was incapable of presenting it.

It was also about twice as long as it needed to be, which seems to be a bit of a Thing with Netflix now.

It's not like they need to be episodic in order to pull in the advertising revenue, so why make the audience sit through the same titles 8 times? Do it as one whopping great feature and let us stop and start it when we choose. That might help them to understand why 8 hours is too long to take to tell a single story.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 4 of 62