Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:47 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to like it, and it has its moments. But they serve to highlight that they're half-arsing most of it. The acting is fairly meh, and by the last episode, it devolves to (classic) Whovian levels of running around in ropey looking tunnels.

It needed twice the budget or half the runtime to pull off what it set out to do.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Rogerborg wrote:
I've been watching The Expanse on Netflix. Meh. Can't care about the characters, therefore don't care about the plot. They cast an Iranian as an Indian (exact same thing, right?) and it's venting my gas that they can't decide whether they're doing hard science or space opera. The scenes when the directors and actors remember that they're meant to be in zero or low G or vacuum are jarring since most of the time they don't bother. Like, it's nice that you put in a CGI bird gently fluttering in Ceres's 0.029g, but that just draws attention to fact that everything else is behaving like it's 1g. I could suspend my disbelief if you didn't keep reminding me why I shouldn't. Thumbs Down

Read the books?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:57 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Read the books?

Only in the original Klingon.

BCF wrote:
Blick Silz

6 3/4 hours in. You know, it's not the fact that much of the cast is Septics, Saffers or Convict Islanders. It's not that Waifly McRada is the least convincing tough chick since Keira Knightley declared with a straight face that she was a Bownty Huntah. It's not even the grating vocabularic anachronisms, or the lazy, contrived plotting that turns every conflict into a Batman-growling face-off that's ever-so-conveniently broken up with the distraction of an external threat.

It's not even this. Not even this.

https://i.imgur.com/YtNDPuw.png

No, it's this line:

"thirty six hours before cast off."

Hours? What about tides? You're a sailor, are you, and not only are you faffing around on shore sticking to some fantasy idealised schedule (or skedule, as almost of the cast insist on Americanising), but you can't even think and talk in terms of tides?

No, that's too far. I cannot suspend my disbelief. It's a cutlass in the gizzard to anyone who cares, with no benefit of plot clarity to anyone who doesn't. That can't be excused by budget, or by screenwriting - it saves a couple of syllables.

Your piratical is bad, and you should feel bad.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Borg's out Smile I've started season 2, the politics (of which there's a lot) gets on my nerves, but I quite like the piracy. So much so I've found myself singing sea shanties and considering changing my name to Ginger Beard.

It's no GoT (not yet anyway), I'll see how it goes as the story lines do seem somewhat contrived, even the writers realise this make reference to the fact one day you're no one, the next day you're someone. Or that important characters seem to be able to get themselves out of any impossible situation.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Banshee. Enjoyed it, fair amount of sex & violence with a decently paced story.
They knew when to end it too - wrapped things up with a nice bow and left me feeling slightly sadface.jpg that it was all over.

Ray Donovan or Black Sails next...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Santa Clarita Diet - Netflix

Hmm. "Cannibalism", repeat all of the Legacy Media reviewers, loyally following the press releases. No, it's zombie. Say it. Zommmmmbiiiiiiie. High functioning zombie, à la iZombie. iZombies of Beverly Hills, perhaps?

Features Drew Barrymore, who you may remember from such films as E.T., rehab, that painfully embarrassing one in the high school, rehab, Charlie's Angels, rehab, rehab, rehab, and now this. She's competent enough, but as it turns out, just not all that compelling on screen.

But then there's Timothy Olyphant, who I remember from such films as having a funny name, but he carries the whole thing, owning every scene that he's in and rising above the strictly expositional script and comic strip characterisation.

Plus, others, I guess. Oh, Captain Mal Hammer is in it, for one episode. Hat tip to the Grauniad, this is Desperate Housewives translated into Chinese and back a few times, plus zombie, sans Eva Longoria.

I'm on the fence here. I mean, I'm still watching it, 25 minute episodes being somewhat of a novelty these days. It's frothy but not filling. It's not going to change your life, but 250 minutes out of it won't kill you either.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF wrote:
Blick Silz sesun 1 is just the long bowls for the yardarm-to-yardarm of sesun 2 and beyond. Is oarsum.

All right, BCF, all right. Let's see if this moping foggitfest actually goes anywhere.

[lashes himself to the mast, expects to hear "weather gauge" in the next 55 minutes, or there will be the devil to pay]

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on season 3 and the storyline roulette's getting on my nerves a bit. Also absolutely everyone seems to be bipolar, one minute they're trying to kill each other, the next they're bezzie mates. You can only take so much plotting/double-crossing until it loses its impact.

Oh <spoiler alert> it gets worse in that respect Mr Borg Laughing The young Peggy Mitchell gets more annoying as well.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm on season 3 and the storyline roulette's getting on my nerves a bit. Also absolutely everyone seems to be bipolar, one minute they're trying to kill each other, the next they're bezzie mates. You can only take so much plotting/double-crossing until it loses its impact.

Oh <spoiler alert> it gets worse in that respect Mr Borg Laughing The young Peggy Mitchell gets more annoying as well.

The 'bi-polar' bit is because the gangs of pirates were not exactly friends.
They come together to fight the common enemy and then go back to robbing off each other and generally wanting to kill them.

This is how it was.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
M.C wrote:

They come together to fight the common enemy and then go back to robbing off each other and generally wanting to kill them.

This is how it was.

i bet if you ask bodyguard he will tell you he was there Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against expectations I quite liked Sneaky Pete on Amazon recently; and am now on Goliath which I am really enjoying, 3 eps in.

Favourites of recent years? Off the top of my head:
GoT, Dexter, The Wire, early Walking Dead (but about to give up on it I think), Homeland, House of Cards and in pole postion; Line of Duty, Sopranos and The Shield

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
M.C wrote:

This is how it was.

No it's crap writing. Take stupid hat lady, she quietly leaves then quietly returns just in time to save a main character? It's the same with the season 2 finale, which was awesome, but the entire situation was so unbelievably contrived.

I thought shit was going to massively hit the fan at the start of season 3 Thumbs Down

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:14 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, erratic behaviour is a handy excuse for having your characters driven by the plot rather than the other way around.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:33 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates are not like us. They behave, well, like pirates. This means they operate outside of normal script plot and dialogue conventions. Because pirates.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started the shooter

Seems OK so far two episodes in at mo

Not sure if there is a season two on the way yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:57 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Black Mirror - seems bigger budget than the previous stuff Charlie Brooker has done, and I thought it was superb. Some of them could have been made into feature length movies they're that good.

My only slight criticism's that it felt like some of the episodes were made by different production companies (maybe they were?), and if you're familiar with his previous work then it's more of the same; a dystopian technological future some of which he's explored before.

Still well worth a watch tho' Thumbs Up

This one flew under my radar until my son recommended it.
As you say some are differently produced but makes for better overall.
Don't particularly take to Charlie on his tv appearances but this has changed my outlook on his abilities.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, Netflix, how I love you. Narcos, season 2 just dropped today.

Pablo Escobar drug lord dramamentary. Season 1 was ace. Much of the interpersonal stuff is necessarily speculative and they dick around with names, dates, details, accents, but the basic narrative and big historical events largely agree with Wikipedia. Some of it you think "Nah, surely they must have made that up. Nobody would really do... [Googles] huh, OK then, wow."

Like Game of Thrones in Spanish, with fewer dragons but more hookers and blow.

Enjoyed season 1 and thought season 2 dragged it out a bit.
Overall it got the story of Mr Escobar and his compadres over quite well and how much he managed to fuck things up quite good.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:

Don't particularly take to Charlie on his tv appearances but this has changed my outlook on his abilities.

He's a bit of a tw@ Smile, although he's done some good stuff, deadset and screenwipe etc.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished shooter

was a good series

main storyline is bloke gets framed for shooting the Ukrainian president in America
bloke gets caught and escapes and proves his innocence

bloke then kills all people who did the actual shooting

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:41 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Black Mirror

Approved. I've just watched the first three and am hooked.

E1 could happen today. 2 and 3 are what I'd describe as proper near future speculative fiction, taking a fairly simple idea and pushing it - hard - to see where it could end up. They're boldly realised, well acted and strongly compelling. A little froth, and a lot of substance. Bravo.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:19 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
just finished shooter

If you haven't seen the original film - worth a watch.

The Expanse series 2 out if people haven't seen.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:20 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Black Mirror

Approved. I've just watched the first three and am hooked.
Bravo.

Series 3 is much better, no spoilers but "Shutup and dance" is probably the best of them all.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed them all but San Junipero was probably my fav', although it's so different from the others I thought I was streaming something else to begin with.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 8 of 62